The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 14, 2008, 06:31 PM   #1
shooter313

How heavy of a reloading bench is needed ?

I am about to set up my new Hornady L-N-L progressive press for the first time.
For years I have used a pretty light weight bench I built out of a commercial kitchen counter top, screwed every 5 or 6 inches to a 2X4 mounted behind the backsplash area. The 2X4 is mounted to the wall studs every 16 inches with ¼ lag bolts. The corner legs in the front are a pair of
2”X2” fancy turned legs, glued and screwed together on each front corner. It has served me well for many years, but I have only used a rock chucker or other single stage press on it. (other than using it to build computers on, which as we all know are not that heavy.)
When loading with the rock chucker it does not move at all. Not even when full length sizing for my old 375H&H or my 338 mag cases. Do you think this would be stable enough to hold up to the progressive machine, or should I build what I have seen refered to on here many times. A ¾ “ top, or thicker, mounted on a series of 4X4 posts? I really enjoy the looks of the countertop I have now, it has a black finish on it, and it looks good in my office. But I don’t want the new press to hit the ground either (along with all the powder and primers etc..,) so I will build what ever you guys feel is needed, as I have NO history with progressive presses at all, (other than for shot shells. A Mec Grabber years ago)
Thanks in advance for your input.
Shooter313
Old October 14, 2008, 06:47 PM   #2
VaFisher

Sounds like what you have is plenty strong and if not maybe you can beef it up a bit, it will not take long to find out.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:16 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

You might be surprised how light weight a reloading bench needs to be, I was. Several years ago, I was looking for a temporary bench to use in the field.

Midway had a small portable stand they claimed was built for reloading. I bought one and attached my Rockchucker to it. I thought it had to be the flimsiest answer to the problem possible, and that it wouldn't work well or last long before it was broken. It is made of light, yet strong plastic on the top (about 1' sq.), a chromed pipe holding it up which slides into a round plastic base. Intuitively, it seemed like it would tip over at the first press of the handle.

I was wrong, it actually turned out to be quite sturdy and works well even when bearing down hard on the press handle. I don't know how well it would work with a progressive, probably not very well. It was designed for a single stage press.

So the bottom line is, as far as the press itself goes, a reloading bench doesn't have to be rock solid for it to be workable.
Old October 14, 2008, 09:13 PM   #4
tom234

I've mounted my Dillon RL550 to free standing table made from a 1 3/4" solid core door with banquet table legs. It's not attached to the wall or floor and it works perfectly.
Old October 14, 2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I have the Hornady and IMO you have plenty of girth to your bench. The best immediate advice I can give you is just make your movements smooth and fluid.

Have fun with it and just be patient when getting used to the workings. Search for threads about the press and you'll get some good tips.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old October 15, 2008, 01:16 PM   #6
BigJimP

I have my Dillon 650 on a base cabinet / with a pre-fab counter top attached - cabinet is screwed into the studs in the wall - and its fine.

I thru bolted the Dillon Strong Mount to the cabinet top - with washers - to make sure I wasn't getting any flex.

The trick is to make sure there isn't any flex or bounce - as you operate the press / not how much the bench weighs.