The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2007, 07:46 AM   #1
JKump

Sometime you cannot find them.

Here is what happened. Monday, I went to Washington County (Georgia), to hunt some fields. I got in there around 3:30 pm and set up a ground blind on the corner of the field. After sitting for a little bit, around 5:15 pm I watched a nice Doe come out into the field. Just what I was waiting for, I have already shot my limit of Bucks. I watched her for a couple minute figure she was not getting any closer so I took the shot. I was thinking that the DOe was around 150 yards, however, after the shot I walked out 235 paces (yards). The Doe took off as if hit, Like its butt was on fire and the head was catching if you know what I mean. However, in the area I thought the Doe to have been NO BLOOD. As I was loosing light I started searching, Very shortly it was dark and I still have not found any blood. At first I thought I had a clean miss (I hope so), However, it ran as if hit. This year I have had BAD luck with blood trails. (2 deer dead flops right there, 1 deer ran over hundred yards with only three drops of blood.) I shot the first one using a 308 180 grain Federal Fusion and shot the deer close less than 10 yards, This deer the other night I was using 308 Winchester Supreme 150 grain Ballistic Silvertips. I have not had any chance to searh during daylight so now I just don't know.
Has anyone else haveing BAD bloodtrails this year?

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".

Last edited by JKump; November 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM.
Old November 14, 2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Doyle

You may not have hit enough hard tissue to cause the ballistic tips to expand. There are a lot of professional guide outfitters who refuse to allow their customers to use ballistic tips for this very reason.
Old November 14, 2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

I also use Ballistic Silvertips in a 150 grain bullet, in a .308 and have 27 deer in a row without a single loss. I think the reason that proffessional guides won't let their clients use them, has more to do with the clients shooting ability, more than the bullet. The bullet is a devistating projectile, with the right bullet placement, but they are not the kind of round for "center of the deer shots" which I think most people who don't spend some time at the range, tend to take. I have never had one that did not pass through, and leave a tobasco bottle sized hole out the other side. I will admit that the furthest shot I have ever had to take with one was around 135 yards, so my experience with them is limited to shorter ranges. A good blood trail has all to do with shot placement rather than the bullet you use. A well placed shot, with any kind or caliber of rifle, will yeild a good blood trail,and will generally produce a whitetail in less than 30 yards of tracking.
Old November 14, 2007, 11:56 AM   #4
FirstFreedom

Thankfully, it sounds like you did miss, but maybe not. That's weird because I usually overestimate the distance, not underestimate as you did. Sounds like you need to invest in a good rangefinder.
Old November 14, 2007, 12:17 PM   #5
wolverine350

have heard bad reports bout the fusions, go for the remington corelocks and see how they do for ya
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old November 14, 2007, 02:19 PM   #6
JKump

Last year the Fusion worked really good, I had excellent blood trails and almost no traking (less than 50 yards) when I had to track. This year I had two dead bang flopps right there, and one shot at less than 10 yards that had almost not blood trail. I found three drops 15-20 yards away from the point of shot. The bullet entered just behind the right shoulder and exited mid way down the opposite side of the body. I figured the range of the shot might have had something to do with it. Then hunting Fields I went to the Winchester 150 grain Ballstic Silver tips, because thay are a little bit better at range, so I thought. Four years ago hunting with a 243 I used the Winchester Ballistic tips 95 grain if I remember right that was okay. I shot this Doe hit behind the shoulder, she ran off about a 100 yards. Good blood trail, had part of lung hanging out when found. I just don't know about this year.

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old November 14, 2007, 03:25 PM   #7
TCman

+ 1 on the rangefinder. That elimintes that variable.
Old November 14, 2007, 03:52 PM   #8
davlandrum

I had one archery hunting several years ago - steep angle uphill, quartering away. I hit back about 2" from wehre I wanted to, but it was a killing shot, no doubt. No blood anywhere. We found it piled up about 50 yards from where I had hit it by doing the circle search method. Hit was liver and one lung. There was no blood trail because a loop of intestine had shifted down and plugged the hole like a cork. All the blood was still inside.

Moral to the story - wierd stuff happens sometimes.

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 14, 2007, 10:39 PM   #9
Kentucky Deer Hunter

I had the same issue this year. I shot a doe opening day of muzzleloader season and I could NOT find ANY blood anywhere. She ran off with her tail tucked and her back arched up. I knew I had hit her. It was about a 100 yard shot. When she ran in the woods I could hear her kicking so I got lucky and knew about where she was.

I tried to find a trail and was unsuccessful. I looked through the woods for a while and was lucky enough to find her. After I found her, I followed her blood trail back about 5 yards, and that was it... no more blood. I was shocked especially since she had been hit with a .50 caliber 245 grain bullet. It was a lung/heart shot. After I field dressed her, I found all the blood, internally... That was fun...

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?