The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 16, 2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Any experience with "The Holster Store" holsters?

Specifically either the Pro Carry Hybrid or the Pro Carry Xtreme Duty.

Curious if they are any good.
Old January 16, 2015, 06:50 PM   #2
JimDandy

I have neither.

Both are fairly widespread designs.

Not a fan of their hybrid design, as I will always have fears - justified, realistic or not - about the front sight post catching on something- say my pants- right before the bottom kydex opening and then being stuck.

The Pro Carry Xtreme Duty is also pretty common as designs go. They don't appear to mention what type of leather it is- i.e. cow/steer/bull or horse hide. Nor do they appear to mention if there's a kydex/whatever stiffener in the opening to assist one handed re-holstering. Those are both questions I'd want answered before I spent money on them.

For example, another company offers this V Hawk version that should seem pretty similar to you after looking at the Xtreme Duty. They mention steer (cow) hide and a reinforced throat/mouth or opening.

As I recall you're across the Atlantic and have more limited options than some of us-

What are you looking for this holster to do?

Do you want kydex or leather?
Old January 16, 2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
As I recall you're across the Atlantic and have more limited options than some of us-

What are you looking for this holster to do?

Do you want kydex or leather?
I'm just researching various options for a couple of guns one of which I may decide to buy, as well as seeing what is available for the gun I have now.

Whilst not my primary carry choice, I am therefore looking at carry holsters for them so that I'd at least have a workable option.

As you say, I have limited options here so I like to see what is available before I buy (or sell) rather than taking the plunge only to find there is next to nothing for my new gun!!

I have emailed the company to see if they ship. If so, I can go on to ask about materials.

I think Kydex for the shape, but leather for the comfort, so these hybrids should work for me.
Old January 16, 2015, 07:42 PM   #4
JimDandy

Do you use a holster already?

Are you looking to conceal carry, open carry, or just carry?

With leather I'd wear an undershirt. It's another sweat barrier, and especially new leather holsters tend to leach dye.

With a kydex holster I'd wear an undershirt. It's another sweat barrier and especially plastic can be cold right after being put on, or stick to you after being on a while.

I don't want to flood you here but I'm on this side of the pond and more familiar with what's popular over here, which may or may not help you over there.

If you like the hybrid style with a leather back, and kydex partial cover, I'd guess the most well known maker of that holster style is Crossbreed

That's not a recommendation for one, or a knock on the other. I have no experience with either. Just more food for thought that Crossbreed is more well known than the Holsterstore, especially for that design.

The first company I linked, Galco is a mass producer not a mom and pop type with an internet storefront. They're McDonalds not Joe's Hamburger Hamlet - Not knowing a whole lot about export regulations, it's possible you may be able to get a Galco holster local to you that you can hold in your hands before you buy- in which case the model you probably want is called a KingTuk

If all Else fails, you can search YouTube and learn how to make your own. I've seen a number of videos, and webpages about how to make your own kydex holster.

Edit: In fact the first link I clicked on a websearch turned up this how to guide on exactly the holster type you're looking for.
Old January 17, 2015, 03:18 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Do you use a holster already?

Are you looking to conceal carry, open carry, or just carry?
I have the Galco Soft-tuk that I got for the G19. The Glock has gone, but I kept the holster.

My existing SP-01 does fit in it, so other CZs (two of which I am considering) should also fit. However the SP-01's beavertail makes for an unpleasant experience and the Crossbreed/Pro Carry Hybrid style has been recommended as a way of making something like the SP-01 more tolerable.

One of the possible purchases could get by in my Soft-tuk The other would not.

I don't plan on conceal carrying these guns, but I'd like to have the option, hence my looking at manufacturer.