The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 5, 2002, 05:46 PM   #1
Kevan

"Malaya" loads

Seems I read somewhere about some shotgun loads supposedly invented by the Brits who used them in Malaya. It was either 00 buck or #4 buck with all the "dead space" between the balls taken up by #6 birdshot. I don't think anyone manufactures these commercially, but anyone ever tried such a load they loaded themselves? I know that Aguila makes a mini-shell that is a combo of #1 and #4 buck. I wonder how well those work. Any thoughts?
Old October 5, 2002, 09:00 PM   #2
BMWGS80

The Brits found that #4 Buck was the best compromise between pattern size and projectile weight for jungle fighting. I do not remember the duplex load. I prefer that the shot be bufferred to minimize deformation. I have patterned all of my "social" smooth bores with both #4 and 00 shot. I like the #4 pattern better myself.

Cheers,

ts
Old October 5, 2002, 10:38 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

You can get dual size shot loads from Remington and Winchester.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:08 PM   #4
Kevan

Really? What are the shot sizes in the combos? I've never seen them anyhere. Who carries them? I'd like to try them just to see how they pattern.
Old October 6, 2002, 02:22 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

4 buck can be an excellent choice, tho testing is the ONLY way to see what it'll do in a given gun.

The FBI used to and still may use 4 Buck in their 870s, citing less overpenetration and effect as good reasons.

An overlooked round is 1 Buck. I've stuck to 00 but have seen good work done with 1 buck and a judicious choice of choke. I doubt there's many shotguns out there that can work 00 through a Full Choke, but the smaller 1-4s don;t seem quite so sensitive.

As for Duplex loads, I've used Rem turkey loads like that but saw no great advantage to them.
Old October 6, 2002, 07:05 PM   #6
leadbutt

IF you just wondering what the shot pattern will look like try some of Remingtons duplex turkey loads.The mixe of 4 and 7 1/2
was tried in Vietnam by a few of us,about the same time some of the Seals showed us a couple of their duck bill attachments,worked well in bunkers and some tunnels but in the bush 00 is better
Old October 6, 2002, 08:47 PM   #7
Jim Watson

I think the main advantage of the Malaya load - British SSG and #6 - was that a low-tech guerrilla in the reeking jungle was in deadly danger of infection from even a #6. I don't see any use for it in SD or LE guns. Light load OO buck for me.
Old October 6, 2002, 09:20 PM   #8
ronin308

Note that the Turkey loads are #4 SHOT not #4 BUCK. I think...