The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 11, 2013, 10:05 AM   #1
seeker_two

Between The Belt & Waistband Carry

Does anyone carry their CCW this way? Is it more comfortable & more concealable than OWB carry? I'm considering this for my XD9sc with a Galco Triton. My OWB choice would be a Bianchi Evader w/ the Carry-Loc.

Many thanks.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:33 PM   #2
btmj

yep... I sometimes use an IWB holster, but I don't wear it inside the pants. i wear it outside the pants, but inside the belt. It works well if I need to wear certain pairs of dress trousers which are snug. It also works well if I need to wear a standard dress belt instead of a real gun belt.

I go the idea from a galco holster that was designed for this kind of carry. I don't recall the name.

This kind of carry is not more concealable than a good pancake belt holster combined with a good stiff gun belt. But sometimes it is the best option.
Old June 11, 2013, 01:47 PM   #3
leadbutt

Have carried that way on and off, best holsters I have found for it are made by Mitch Rossen
Old June 11, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Dragline45

I find that holsters add unnecessary bulk, and I have tried just about every style holster out there. For the past 2 years I have been carrying daily by cutting out the back pocket of old jeans and sewing them into my pants and shorts. Not only is it comfortable but extremely concealable. Think of it as pocket carry but not in the traditional sense, and the benefit over traditional pocket carry is the butt of the pistol sticks out of your waistline so you can grab your pistol without having to dig your hand into a pocket.
Old June 11, 2013, 06:07 PM   #5
wpsdlrg

" I find that holsters add unnecessary bulk, and I have tried just about every style holster out there. For the past 2 years I have been carrying daily by cutting out the back pocket of old jeans and sewing them into my pants and shorts. Not only is it comfortable but extremely concealable. Think of it as pocket carry but not in the traditional sense, and the benefit over traditional pocket carry is the butt of the pistol sticks out of your waistline so you can grab your pistol without having to dig your hand into a pocket."

I have tried every style of carry there is - even started making my own holsters - to solve the comfort while carrying issue.

Dragline,

I have to say.....that is one heck of an idea ! It never occurred to me - but it sounds terrific ! I did experiment with inside the waistband, without a holster, using a clip. I found, like you, that eliminating the holster itself gets rid of a lot of bulk. But, I am reluctant to carry without some sort of holster - so I haven't adopted the technique. Your idea (essentially adding a built-in soft holster to your pants or shorts) - would solve that perfectly !

Thanks for the great idea ! Now to work out the details......
Old June 11, 2013, 08:53 PM   #6
markallen

I do it all the time with my SP101 in a modified Don Hume's IWB holster. It also allows you to use a thin holster like a Uncle Mike's IWB holster since retension is maintained with the belt. And your pants protect you from the hard parts of the gun. Another advantage I have found is that I sweat less with another ( pants) barrier between me and the holster.
Old June 11, 2013, 09:22 PM   #7
therifleman556

I've carried both a full size 1911 and an XD 45 compact IWB in Crossbreed supertucks.

The 1911 would be a cake walk if it were a commander. The XD's only issue is being a little wider. Either one is easy enough to conceal under a loose tee shirt...
Old June 11, 2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Dragline45

Quote:
Thanks for the great idea ! Now to work out the details......
No problem glad to help!

I used to carry with a clip like yourself, specifically a S&W J frame revolver with a Barami Hip Grip, but I was never satisfied with how the grips felt or looked. So one night I was thinking how could I have the gun conceal just as well but be able to use the grips of my choice, and boom, the idea popped into my head and I have been doing it ever since. I have sewed a couple by hand and it is doable but time consuming, when possible I have one of my family members with a sewing machine do it for me which takes all but a couple minutes. So far I have used this method to carry a S&W 640, a Ruger SR9C, and my current carry gun a Sig P232.
Old June 12, 2013, 05:57 AM   #9
Qtiphky

I carry IWB and I currently have three different holsters that I use. For my Walther PPK I use a Bianchi 100 holster at my 3 o'clock. When I feel I need more, I carry a Beretta 92FS Compact in the same spot with either a Cross Breed Super Tuck or a Slimline, (the kind which is basically two pieces of leather stitched together.) I have to wear a dress shirt tucked in every day so I need to be IWB so I can tuck my shirt in. Tuck it in, and a little tug all around and you can't tell I am carrying. When not at work, I use the same rig but just don't tuck whatever shirt I am wearing in.
Old June 14, 2013, 09:49 AM   #10
FM12

Only way I carry IWB is without a holster, "Mexican" style. Not for a long time, usually short trips for gasoline or bread from the grocery store. IWB with a holster would require a pants size change, I would think.
Old June 14, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
EdInk

This is the first time, I've heard of a gun pocket being sewn into a pair of pants. I've seen it done on vests and jackets but never pants.
Old June 17, 2013, 10:29 AM   #12
scottycoyote

check out the mic holster, i use it with a clipdraw on my g27 and my p11, works great
Old June 17, 2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Dunecigar

American citizen (Bersa .380, DP-51, CCWP) living in Guatemala City, Guatemala, Central America.

Since the law here in this country doesn't allow full open carry but concealed carry is not required, I carry my weapon between my left hipbone (i am left handed btw) and bellybutton and cover it with a sportcoat or an untucked buttondown.

I either use a slide ( handmade here) or a right-handed IWB holster from The Holster Store outside on the left between the belt and waistband. I find it more comfortable than having leather and metal digging into me and that the belt streamlines the holster and gun to my body alot better.
Old June 17, 2013, 08:17 PM   #14
LAH

I use a left hand IWB holster on my right side between the belt & waistband. This places the S&W 442 on my strong side, butt forward. This is easiest for me 'cause my shoulder is blown. The little 5 shooter draws easy & natural for me but it is about impossible to re-holster with on hand.
Old June 17, 2013, 11:29 PM   #15
btmj

Here is the holster that first gave me the idea
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...96&CatalogID=4

For me, my order of preference in carry method is:
1) pancake leather belt slide holster with thick gun belt. This is the most comfortable way to carry a gun on my waist. Standard fit trousers are fine, but a good concealing jacket or shirt is required.

2) IWB soft holster. This requires slightly over sized trousers, but I can use a standard belt. The concealing
Old June 17, 2013, 11:36 PM   #16
btmj

Here is the holster that first gave me the idea
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...96&CatalogID=4

For me, my order of preference in carry method is:
1) pancake leather belt slide holster with thick gun belt. This is the most comfortable way to carry a gun on my waist. Standard fit trousers are fine, but a good concealing jacket or shirt is required.

2) IWB soft holster. This requires slightly over sized trousers, but I can use a standard belt. The covering garment need only go past the waist.

3) IWB soft holster worn outside the trousers, between the belt and the trousers. I can wear standard trousers and a standard belt.
Old June 18, 2013, 10:29 AM   #17
LAH

Quote:
3) IWB soft holster worn outside the trousers, between the belt and the trousers. I can wear standard trousers and a standard belt.
+1
Old June 19, 2013, 09:50 PM   #18
michael t

Ive been using a belt slide holster for couple years now . Small one for a Bersa or a PPK/S Got one for my 1911's also . Just seems to work better for me . I use a IWB if its a old pair of jeans and I need to fill in the space . Where body used to fill.