The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 1, 2011, 12:25 PM   #1
bassfishindoc

Pistol for 3 gun

Hey everyone. I recently made the mistake of participating in a 3 gun competition. I say mistake because I have absolutely love it and it is costing me money . I have competed in 3 local competitions and have been using my Springfield XD .45 with a 4" barrel for the pistol. While a great pistol, .45 is a bit to much recoil for follow up shots, not to mention it is more expensive to feed. I am in the market for a new pistol in 9mm to use for 3 gun. I really like the XD and was looking at getting another one in 9mm. I want to know what you guys think as I don't know much about pistol competition, I have only competed with rifles and shotguns prior to this. What do I need to look for? Will the XD be acceptable? Do I need a 4" or 5" barrel? What brands make a good competition pistol? I would like to keep the cost under $750. Thanks.
East Tennessee State University Quillen College of Medicine
Old June 2, 2011, 06:17 AM   #2
lmccrock

Glock (17 or 34) and Smith&Wesson (M&P9 or 9L) are options. STI would be best, but out of your price range. Stick to 9mm for 3gun, unless you shoot some other pistol sport (like USPSA) where a bigger caliber might make sense. If you are keeping the XD 45 then another XD would make switching between them easier. Regardless, get magazine extensions, should be +5 in 9mm, and legal for USPSA or most IMGA-based matches.

4 or 5"? For a dedicated competition gun, the extra length helps a little with velocity and sight distance, but trigger and grip feel are more important.

Where did you shoot the match?
Old June 2, 2011, 07:22 AM   #3
kraigwy

I went to the Beretta 92FS.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 2, 2011, 08:22 AM   #4
ConlawBloganon

This is just my opinion, but if you're more worried about improving your skills and competency, and less worried about being competitive, wouldn't it make a lot of sense to use your carry or duty weapon for competition?
Old June 2, 2011, 10:23 AM   #5
RickB

Spend the gun money on handloading equipment, and you can save a bundle on both rifle and pistol ammo.
If major and minor are scored differently, I'd stick with the .45.
Old June 2, 2011, 01:37 PM   #6
DBLAction454

Beretta 92FS
Old June 2, 2011, 02:48 PM   #7
HKFan9

CZ-75 or SP01
Old June 3, 2011, 02:07 AM   #8
warningshot

1. New, Sig 226R, stock, ez to get reliable factory 20 rd. mags. 2. NIB, Stock, Glock 17, 3rd gen. Both have high round counts, above guns will still be standard equipmentin 5 years. Many spl. forces teams shoot 92fs very well, many individual members prefer #1 & #2 when given the option.

Don't forget to look around for 2nd job to pay for 3 gun addiction.
Old June 12, 2011, 08:44 PM   #9
Jesse Tischauser

The Glock 34 is probably the most cost effective readily available best choice for the $ pistol for 3 gun. Aftermarket parts are readily available. Go fast parts are more plentiful than any other platform. I run a G34 for outlaw 3 gun and a G35 for USPSA 3 gun.
Old June 15, 2011, 05:37 PM   #10
Clifford L. Hughes

Bassfishindoc:

A three gun match, 2,700 points, is shot with three guns. The .22 match and the .45 match require their named calibers. The center fire match allows you some latitude. Usually any center fire pistol caliber is permitted. When I shot for several Marine Corps pistol teams I used two center fire pistols. I had one of my 1911's converted to 38 Special that proved super accurate. I also had a second 1911 set up for soft ball: I shot Remington match .45 acp. I believe that it was 185 gr jacked bullets.

One of my .22's was a High Standard Supermatic trophy with a grip angle of a 1911.

I would suggest that for center fire that you use your 1911 with amminition in the same class as Remington match ammo.

Semmper Fi.

Gunnery Sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired
Old June 15, 2011, 11:14 PM   #11
RickB

In this case, I think "3-gun" means multi-gun, as in rifle, pistol, and shotgun in the same match.