The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 6, 2008, 11:49 AM   #1
AF_Reloader

Concealed Carry in the Summer

I saw the post with PBP sporting the Galco shoulder holster I'm gonna get, but here's a problem: I'm 45 minutes north of Sacramento, and it hits 105 in the summertime.

What do you guys using shoulder holsters do in the summer? I think I'd roast wearing anything more than a T-shirt in that kind of heat.

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old May 6, 2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Playboypenguin

You just discovered the main reason that ugly, patterned (but lightweight) hawaiian shirts are so popular with gun owners.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:10 PM   #3
AF_Reloader

Man, I'd better complete that with khaki shorts, black knee-high socks, and tennis shoes.

"...that other sentiment, dear to every true American heart,
—Liberty and Union, now and for ever, one and inseparable!"
Old May 6, 2008, 04:32 PM   #4
cschwanz

Friend of mine and i are trying to bring back the Hawiian shirt trend this summer, lol as someone above said, not for the attractiveness of them. a nice IWB would be something to look at as well. then you can just cover whats left with a loose fitting t-shirt and your covered and comfy!
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 6, 2008, 04:43 PM   #5
UniversalFrost

well, in the summer i am forced to go with a smaller pistol (i am a full size junkie), so a seecamp or j frame size revolver is in order so that I can toss it in the pocket and not have to worry about if I am printing or not. Some times though I have made the mistake of pulling it out while scrounging for change or keys and folks have become alarmed, but a quick appology and flashing my CCW card settles them down.

Those darn seecamps are just so easy to foreget that you are carrying

Quote:
Man, I'd better complete that with khaki shorts, black knee-high socks, and tennis shoes.
You guys need to come down here to AZ in the winter when the snowbirds roll in. You would be in style around the rest of the 60-90 year olds.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old May 6, 2008, 06:29 PM   #6
Grandpa Shooter

Summer carry is the same as winter. In the waist band at the appendix and a loose shirt. Shorts work same as loose in the waist jeans. Just make sure you don't sweat the finish off like I did the first nickel plated I carried. Now my summer carry is stainless.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:04 PM   #7
mechdriver

http://www.thunderwear.com/holsters.asp

It works. 'nuff said.
Old May 6, 2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Murdoch

Not to be crass, but in the humid heat of a Georgia summer, the last thing I want is an extra 2 layers of fabric and a slab of metal over my...situation. Just go with lightweight, somewhat loose shirts, or pocket carry.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:06 PM   #9
clevjew

Wante to reply to your need in the Summer time

I am new to this blog but wanted to let you all know about a site I ran across. It is new and the owner of the site has just got started selling these concealment shirts that were developed by a police man they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter, no need for any holsters they are built in the shirt, I bought one and am very happy to have one great price and I stay cool in the summer in Texas. Anyway here is the site check it out. www.ckaspecialtysales.com

By the way It is Made in America!
Old May 12, 2008, 07:39 PM   #10
DonR101395

Quote:
Summer carry is the same as winter. In the waist band at the appendix and a loose shirt. Shorts work same as loose in the waist jeans. Just make sure you don't sweat the finish off like I did the first nickel plated I carried. Now my summer carry is stainless.

Same here, my EDC is a G21 under a t-shirt.
Old May 12, 2008, 08:26 PM   #11
Wuchak

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevjew
I am new to this blog but wanted to let you all know about a site I ran across. It is new and the owner of the site has just got started selling these concealment shirts that were developed by a police man they are cool in the summer and warm in the winter, no need for any holsters they are built in the shirt, I bought one and am very happy to have one great price and I stay cool in the summer in Texas. Anyway here is the site check it out. www.ckaspecialtysales.com

By the way It is Made in America!
So what position do you hold at the company? You've only made five posts and they are all identical pushing this product. Not a big deal if you work there. It's always nice to have people from firearms related companies on the forums but if you do work there please come clean about it.

Welcome to the forums btw.

Does she come with the t-shirt?
Old May 13, 2008, 03:21 PM   #12
KMG5402

Anyone have any stories where they used their concealed carry?

I like stories. haha

edit: respectively used their concealed! (e.g. not in a bar fight)
Old May 14, 2008, 03:37 PM   #13
GeorgeF

Pocket carry all the way. Mustang Pocketlite all through the summer in a cheapo Uncle Mike's pocket holster. Been carrying it for years and years that way.
Old May 14, 2008, 05:14 PM   #14
parrothead2581

First, as a beach bum, Caribbean hoppin', Hawaiian shirt afficianado, not all are created equal, nor are all ugly.

Secondly, there are tons of lightweight patterned shirts out there. Find some you like and go with them.

I just flipped through a new LL Bean catalog and found quite a few, including some from their "tropic weight" line.