The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
CurlyQ.Howard

WABAC Machine (apologies to Mr. Peabody)

Here are the handguns that I remember from the late sixties and early seventies: Browning 9mm Hi-Power, Colt .45 1911, Colt Python, Colt Detective Special, High Standard .22 autoloader, Dirty Harry's Smith & Wesson Model 29, and our families High Standard Sentinel Deluxe 9 shot .22 revolver. I wasn't that interested in handguns (upland hunting was my passion) back then, so I'd like to know what handguns some of you remember from that era. Thanks.
Old December 30, 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
FALPhil

Colt Woodsman
Colt Police Positive
Original Charter Arms Undercover
M1 Carbine pistol
Walther P1
Walther PPK and PPK/s
Old December 30, 2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Stevie-Ray

The Ruger RST-4, which was Bill's original design, and I first fired around 1968 or so, and was instantly in love. The RST-6 was my first handgun in 1979. And the High-Standard competition was trying desperately to pull me away from Ruger before that. I knew nothing of the Woodsman back then. Also my Colt Pocket Auto in .32 ACP was always fascinating to me as it was my dad's at the time.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:32 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

Back then it was Ruger Standard .22LR (purchased mail order!), Blackhawk .357, Colt Detective snub nose, 1911, Win 94, Rem 760, Mossberg 500A and Win Model 12.

More so than the guns I am nostalgic about being able to buy guns directly out of the Ruger catalog or almost any Sears, Pennys, Montgomery Wards, or hardware store without any forms.

When I moved to Oregon in 1996 there was one local grocery store that still sold guns like in the old days (except with the modern red tape). A couple years later they were bought out and eliminated the old gun counter.

Last edited by NWPilgrim; December 30, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:56 PM   #5
sgms

What we shot and hunted with,
Colt 1911
Colt ACE
S&W m-10, M-36
B.H.P.
P. 38
Olympic Citation 102 series(MY first real match pistol)
colt Official Police, M-1909, M-1917
1906 .30-06
M-1 carbine
Winchester 94
several .22 rimfire rifles and pistols of various manufactures
and half a dozen shotguns ,410, 20(2 of these), 16, 12, and 10 gage
Old December 31, 2012, 08:34 PM   #6
CajunBass

Where I grew up handguns, as well as rifles were pretty much unheard of. The only person I knew who even owned a handgun was my Uncle. He had some kind of single action 22. No idea what brand it was, but it had stag grips. That's about all I remember about it.

Take that back. One of the kids I ran around with, someone, probably his dad had another single action 22. I remember shooting it a few times. I THINK it was a Ruger, but that's my old memory at work.

The handgun that influenced me, I never saw for years. I remember picking up the very first copy of Guns and Ammo magazine I'd ever seen at a Peoples Drug Store on Broad Street, in Richmond. One the cover was a picture of a handgun with light shooting out of the barrel like fire. The text read, in big bold letters...SMITH AND WESSON MODEL 19 COMBAT MAGNUM!...because of that picture, my first handgun was a Model 19.

Man, that was what a handgun was supposed to look like. I still think so.

The guns people owned in my youth were shotguns. Browning A5's, Remington pumps and semi's, Sears guns, both Ted Williams and J.C. Higgins models, bolt action and single shot shotguns, and then the old fellows with their double guns like my grandfathers 12 ga A.H. Fox, and his 20 ga Parker.
John 3:16 (NKJV)