The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 23, 2011, 11:01 PM   #1
Gen.Barnicky

Ruger Blackhawk info

I just bought a Marlin 1984 357mag and I want to get a single action revolver (or 2) to go with it. My top choice right now is the Ruger Blackhawk blued 4.62" 357mag model 10306.

Does anyone have any experience with this gun?
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks. -Thomas Jefferson-
Old March 24, 2011, 08:41 AM   #2
shafter

Are you looking at the adjustable sight model?

I think that they are about as solid and dependable a handgun as you can get. That particular barrel length makes for a very handy and very nicely ballanced pistol.
Old March 24, 2011, 12:27 PM   #3
Fiv3

I would go for it. One of my EDC revolvers is a .357 Blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel. I would prefer a 4+" version, but this one was too good of a deal to pass up. I just carry it in a shoulder holster instead of on my belt.

Mine's stainless, which is nice since it rides under my arm:barf: Just about as bombproof of a handgun you can get. If it runs dry, you can beat the animal/attacker to death
Old March 24, 2011, 12:45 PM   #4
g.willikers

They aren't exactly historically accurate versions of the old sixguns, but they are close enough, sturdy, dependable and accurate.
It will definitely go well with the rifle.
Happy Trails!
Old March 24, 2011, 12:48 PM   #5
Rifleman1776

You can't go wrong with Ruger.
But, the "go with it" idea just makes no practical sense, IMHO.
I bought a Marlin lever gun in .44 mag. to "go with" my Ruger Redhawk. Never did understand why the idea attracted me.
Except, maybe, for Cowboy shooting, I really don't know when/where one would need two different guns to shoot a pistol cartridge.
And, to boot, my Redhawk was far-far more accurate than the Marlin ever dreamed about being.
Old March 30, 2011, 11:57 AM   #6
rje

Try to get a Ruger 3 screw (old model blackhawk)

I love ruger blackhawk pistols!
The newer models that exist out there....including the new models have a transfer bar safety that forces you to open the cylinder cover to spin the wheel. I have a few of these, but what I really love is what is referred to as the old model 3 screw blackhawks. i have one of these in 357 magnum with a 7" barrel and it is just wonderful.
The difference is that it must be placed in half cock position to load the cyclinder and when you cock the mechanism it clicks a couple of times and has a wonderful sound to it. These pistols are not that rare, but you have to locate one that was not sent back to the factory for the trigger safety modification (done by ruger at no cost). If you get one of these you will LOVE IT TO DEATH.
Plan on them burrying me with it and my John Deere tractor.
happy shooting. Ruger may not be a COLT, but they are rugged, dependable and accurate.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
sewerman

can't stub your toe buying a blackhawk, i have a 6.5 " and a 7" with the combo .357 & 9mm cylinders....here's a tip you may want to try......

Remove the grips, look at the small spring at the top of the grip frame the spring has two legs one on each side of the frame which lie on a stud to hold them in place.

with a small tool of your preference lift only one arm of the spring off it's stud and allow it to relax downward off the stud. you can chose either side it doesn't matter only do one leg on a side though. replace grips and dry snap to feel instant improvement!

this is a poor man's trigger job which i read about off a forum...maybe this one!

it takes just three minutes or less to complete this task and you will be amazed how well the trigger responds.

this technique was used by the author's wife in competive shooting when only facrory guns were allowed with no real trigger jobs. does not damage anything or cause the spring to weaken...and if you don't like it reverse is only a small task to put things back to facrory setting.

enjoy your B.H's they are solid & dependable handguns...can a Ruger be anything else?

cheers,
S.M.

"They that can give up an essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety!" Benjamin franklin

The Armed Citizen PREVENTS tyranny!