The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 11, 2009, 11:06 PM   #1
cgbills

Cleaning TC Encore Breach Plug

How do you all clean the primer residue out of you TC Encore breach plug. Using a needle and solvent is not working well. What size drill bit would fit in there?
Old November 12, 2009, 09:03 AM   #2
Doyle

What kind of solvent? Black powder residue is water soluable, not oil soluable. Therefore, ordinary cleaning products should never be used on black powder weapons. Ordinary hot water with a little dish soap cleans as good as anything else.

Use a toothbrush to clean the face of the breach plug and pull out one of the toothbrush bristels to get into the hole.
Old November 12, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Wild Bill Bucks

I bought some regular pipe cleaners from the wally store, and they fit perfect.

Water based products ONLY on Black Powder , Pyro, or 777.
Old November 12, 2009, 06:36 PM   #4
shortwave

I soak mine in TC #13 bore cleaner while I`m cleaning the rest of the rifle. Then its toothbrush,pipecleaner and for tougher stains an old worn down copper/brass .22 cleaning brush. It can also be used in the threads of the breach. Also brake or electric contact cleaner works well.
Old November 13, 2009, 08:38 AM   #5
rdmallory

If you plug is stainless steal drop it in the Dish washer when your wife is not looking.

Doug
Old November 13, 2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Old No7

Encore breech plug...

That's the same as used on the T/C Omega.

The gang over on modernmuzzleloader all use a hand-turned 1/8" drill bit to clean out the carbon from inside the primer end of the plug. That, plus a nipple pick or a "teeny tiny" drill bit for the other end of the plug will get it clean.

At the range, use the drill bit after every 5 shots, along with the nipple pick.

And don't forget the breech plugs should be "finger tight" only -- not really snugged up. Most hi-volume inline shooters unseat then lightly snug the plug every 10 rounds or so (I do it after every 5, whenever I clean the plug, as it takes no time at all). Do this, and you will never get a stuck plug -- as long as you've greased the plug and threads correctly (or used teflon tape like some shooters do).

Tight groups.

Old No7