The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2009, 02:16 PM   #1
orchidhunter

Pro Coon Hunting

Gold Champion Silver Dollar Cracker became the first hound in history to win $100,000 by virtue of a second place finish at the Blue Ribbon Event in Tallulah, Louisiana in mid-February. This amazing feat is the coon dog world’s equivalent to the baseball records of Hank Aaron and Mark McGwire. One hundred thousand dollars is serious change in any field of professional dog sports and heretofore unheard of in coon hunting. Cracker is a 11 year old Walker Hound out of Kentucky. orchidhunter
Old April 10, 2009, 10:53 PM   #2
impact

Glad to see someone talking about coon hunting. Yep a Walker dog. Most coon hunters like the Walker dog. But hell if I can hunt with a good Bluetick, Black and Tan or Redbone I'm happy just to be out in the woods
Old April 11, 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
ddeyo1

Used to hunt with a guy that had a Redbone that was an absolute moose. That thing couldhave treed all 280 pounds of me in a heartbeat if it ever decided to come after me. Runnin that dog was some of the most fun ive ever had in the woods.
Old April 11, 2009, 05:25 PM   #4
VaFisher

I ran Black and Tans along with a Tri Walkers, that was some of the most fun I can remember having coon hunting. I would still be in to it hard except I couldn't get enough sleep so had to give it up for awhile and may get back at it soon.
Old April 11, 2009, 09:29 PM   #5
impact

Damn ddeyo1 I busted a gut reading your post. You don't see to many grand night champs being Rebone dogs. But the Rebone I hunted with did really well. There is this Bluetick jip I just love to hunt with. She needs some work but she is a good dog. Sometimes she gets lost on a trail but when she is on! look out coon
Old April 11, 2009, 10:18 PM   #6
ddeyo1

Glad you liked it. Im a big guy but ill be the first to admit that if that dog ever decided to chase me around id give up real quick
Old April 13, 2009, 02:18 AM   #7
birdshot

rich dog, poor man

i can not get over he fact that there is a coon hound, running around with more money than i am worth. they don't even have pockets.
Old April 13, 2009, 09:09 PM   #8
impact

birdshot you can get a coon dog for almost nothing. A grand night champ will cost big bucks. About 3 thousand or even more. you can get a good pup that needs to be trained for way less. All coon dogs need to be trained. They arn't born knowing what to do. A good blood line gets you a better dog. If you have a good trainer dog thats even better.

Iv'e seen pups that were 10 months old with a trainer dog that were just lost. And pups that were 4 months old get in there with the big boys and hunt.

I don't like to see people beat there dogs. You will mess up a coon dog if you beat it. some dogs learn fast and others learn slow. You will get a better dog if the dog trust you. You just have to work with it's learing curve