The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2006, 10:07 PM   #1
goste

9x18 mak brass question

Hey all,

I saw an add on ebay, a while back, for some 9x18 mak brass made from 9x19 brass cut down. I didn't know you could do this, as I thought it was a diff. diameter.

Can this really be done. I have 3 Bulgy maks, and I never really gave much thought to reloading ammo for them......But.... I have noticed in the past 3 or 4 months, that alot of places that had ammo for this caliber, now are out, and not accepting backorders. I really like this gun/ammo combo, and would miss the cheap surplus ammo I mostly use.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old February 22, 2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Buzzard

When I had a Mak I used to cut down 9mm's and they worked fine, just make sure you don't get the emptys mixed with non cut 9mm's , I painted mine with red paint every reloading.....worked for me
Old February 22, 2006, 10:24 PM   #3
Hankster

9mm brass

I have been loading 9mm Mak ammo for at least 10 years now. I have made cassings from 9mm para cases. First, they have to be trimmed to the proper length (.0490in), then full length sized using the 9mm Mak sizing die. A 9mm Mak 365in bullet could then be properly seated when reloading.
The round is odd looking at first, till it is fired, afterwhich time it will take its proper shape.
I own 2 different 9mm Mak pistols, I found it much easier to simply contact Starline and buy 9mm Mak cases. Starline make excellent cases. I mostly load a 95 grain cast lead bullet behind 3.3 grains of Bullseye. This load is excellent and very accurate in both my pistols. Good luck.
Old February 22, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Hankster

9mm brass

I have been loading 9mm Mak ammo for at least 10 years now. I have made cassings from 9mm para cases. First, they have to be trimmed to the proper length (.0490in), then full length sized using the 9mm Mak sizer. A 9mm Mal 365in bullet could then be properly seated.
The round is odd looking at first, till it is fired, afterwhich time it will take its proper shape.
I own 2 different Mak pistols, I found it much easier to simply contact Starline and buy 9mm Mak cases. Starline make excellent cases. I mostly load a 95 grain cast lead bullet behind 3.3 grains of Bullseye. This load is excellent and very accurate in both my pistols. Good luck.
Old February 23, 2006, 07:06 AM   #5
donkee

Too much of a hassle, but works good. +1 on the Starline Brass.
Old February 23, 2006, 05:48 PM   #6
lee n. field

Quote:
saw an add on ebay, a while back, for some 9x18 mak brass made from 9x19 brass cut down. I didn't know you could do this, as I thought it was a diff. diameter.

Can this really be done?
Yes, it really can be done. I have done it. It is a PITA. Resize fired (and thus oversize) 9x19 brass in a (x18 Mak sizing die and trim to length. Use a shell holder for 9x19, of course.

I wouldn't use someone else's trimmed brass, myself.
Old February 23, 2006, 08:20 PM   #7
goste

Thanks .

I haven't reloaded in a while, and don't get the catalogs much any more. I wasn't aware starline had new brass, for this caliber.

Anyone know where all the surplus has gone?
Old February 23, 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
Wrangler5

I've read that surplus Makarov pistols are being sent from eastern Europe to Iraq for use by the police forces there. If that's true, it's likely that a lot of ammo is following.