The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 1, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
poline

Figure it out?

I suppose that in a while I would figure it out, but I would like some
answers now, please.
To explalin: I just brought 3oo spend brass (Winchester) for the 7.62x 54R
and a new Lee Handloader, same caliber, for $20.00 dollars at a flea market. Now, however, I'm haveing second thoughts about the Handloader. Putting aside, for the moment that there is a quicker way to reload. I seem to recall, now, that the Handloader takes a shell that was shot in a certain rifle or revolver and sizes the neck of the shell only, thus making it compartable only to the weapeon it was first shot in........ and..does not full size the shell! Do I have to buy a full sizeing die, load and shoot the 300 spend brass in my rifle before I can use use the Lee Handloader?
Not answering my only question, but thinking about it some more.
That is probably why it was setting there for such a great price......" Ah, yes, one born every day". Even so, it was a good price, I just want to be able to use it.
Well, I have babbled on enough........TFL...... Thanks in advance for any
and all replys.
Old September 1, 2012, 04:01 PM   #2
snuffy

Quote:
Lee Handloader, same caliber
If what you're talking about is the lee loader kit that uses a hammer to do the various steps, then you are correct. The ONLY way to tell is to try it. You MIGHT get lucky, they might fit okay just being neck sized.

If you already have a press, then the lee RGB dies are very inexpensive and have a FL sizer. OOPS, they don't make a RGB for the russian, just the pacesetter dies.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/459...62x53mm-rimmed

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 1, 2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Lost Sheep

Snuffy's right.

If you are lucky, the once-fired brass was fired in a rifle (or rifles) whose particular chamber dimensions are smaller than yours.

Chamber-test each fired round to see if they chamber. If they do, then you are OK. If they don't, then you still don't know. Separate the two groups.

But your rifle is likely to be semi-auto? Neck-sizing (Lee tool or in a press) only is not for rifles with action types that do not provide a lot of leverage (semi-autos mostly) when chambering a round.

A cartridge that doesn't allow locking of the breech gives you a jammed gun at best. A partially locked breech can come open on you with potentially catastrophic results.

You can be safe with loaded ammunition by chamber-testing each loaded round before attempting to fire them.

Generally, neck-sizing (with the Lee Tool or a press) is not used with semi-auto guns for that reason.

Lost Sheep

Last edited by Lost Sheep; September 1, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:59 PM   #4
longspurr

Poline
I would resize the brass in what ever Lee Loader you have, then try the empty hulls in your gun. Most 7.62x54 russian rifles I've seen are bolt actions. They are more tolerant of "slightly" larger shells.

If this works fine, then consider only loading your reloads to starting or no more than mid range of the power you are going to use. The lower pressure rounds will expand the cases less and allow them to 1)last longer, 2) go longer before any full length resizing is necessary.

If you have the Lee loader that uses a Hammer as part of the loading process, consider keeping that and getting a cheap Lee press to handle the heavy work.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:47 PM   #5
poline

I have a lee press, I would need the full lenght sizing die, for that calilber. My rifle is a bolt action.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:23 AM   #6
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by poline
I have a lee press, I would need the full lenght sizing die, for that calilber. My rifle is a bolt action.
Then my post #3 was based on incorrect assumptions.

Everything longspurr said is what I was going to say except for the "cheap" Lee press. I would suggest one of the better Lee presses. Classic Cast or Classic Turret if you want to do 300 cases at a time.

But since you already have a press, the full-length sizing die for when neck-sizing only eventually does not do and you have to bump the shoulder back.

When you said you bought a Lee Handloader for $20 I assumed it had to be the mallet-driven kit and that you did not have a press at all.

Lost Sheep
Old September 2, 2012, 05:21 AM   #7
David Bachelder

By cheap I sure he meant inexpensive. Either way he is correct. Lee presses and tools are less expensive than other offerings. So comparatively speaking .... they are cheap.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:12 AM   #8
poline

(When you said you bought a Lee Handloader for $20 I assumed it had to be the mallet-driven kit and that you did not have a press at all.)
This is correct. I brought it thinking that I could load the 300 spend brass
with it and not have to buy a die set for the 7.62x54R. After making the purchase I realized that I would have to full lenght size all of the brass first if I was going to use the Lee handloader, because it had been shot in another rifle other than my own. That was my thought, however, I wanted to know what the forum's thought was. I thank the forum for the replys and advice.