The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2009, 10:20 AM   #26
therealtwitch

what range do you use in phoenix. I am new to the area and am looking to go shooting
Old May 13, 2009, 01:39 PM   #27
BlindMansBluff

I go to:

Shooter's World
3828 N 28th AVE
Phoenix, AZ 85015

they have 18 pistol bays and 6 Rifle Benches. oh and I ment 18 pistol benches. for a total of 24 Benches its an in door range

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 13, 2009, 01:42 PM   #28
GuyMontag

Quote:
2. if the BG has ran away and obvious I "Hear" them run away why would I shoot the next person coming up to me for? Why wouldn't I just call the cops and request their help.
I was relating more to the fact that more often than not there is violence involved in something like a mugging. If for instance, someone knocked you down, hit you, etc and someone stepped in as the good guy to help my thoughts were that you might be dazed. If not in the right frame of mind, your muscle memory might take over and react.

Quote:
3. and usually when some one wants to help they usually let it know before hand before they are too close. I get that all the time when some one wants to help me accross the street for instance.
I've experienced this and have helped visually impaired when I worked retail years ago. If things happen as fast as they do, Mr. Good Guy might not have time to announce his presence.

Quote:
4. I hope and pray that you with the questions aren't soldiers or leos because that scares me that you would be so helpless in your positions if temporarily blinded for any reason and you would just drop to the floor and flop around like a fish if blinded by dust, a punch to the eye or the nose or something.
I'm far from helpless and refuse to be a victim just as you are doing by choosing to protect yourself. I can only imagine the world that you find yourself in and closing my eyes or using my imagination can't even begin to help me understand. I would envision a melee, edged, chemical spray, or other weapon to be more of an asset to you.

Quote:
6. as I said before I have been told by many that Martial Arts PPL and Soldiers for the United states offten get taught how to function in the dark and to use all senses including touch when out in the field in the dark. So I guess I am finding it hard why people are so confused about this.
I guess this is the exact reason why I would question a firearm. In order to effectively use it without the use of sight is at arm's length. In typical firearm training, it is often taught that you should do what is necessary to break away, create distance, and shoot if you indeed decide to use your firearm. This is the opposite of what you'd have to do in order to shoot. A bad guy's best defense and offense with you would be to remain at distance.

Quote:
I appreciate the questions, but its almost like wow, did I lose my bbrain fuctions when I went blind?
And hell no. I also appreciate the fact that your other sense have most likely become more acute in sensing things like sounds. I would guess that something like Judo with hand to hand throwing and holding would be more effective such that your confirmation of a threat and ability to defend would be the initial contact. Your best defense in my mind seems to be a throw followed by strikes rather than risking being disarmed.

I mean absolutely no disrespect, but my curiosity got the best of me. Please accept my sincerest apologies if I have offended in any way.
Old May 13, 2009, 01:55 PM   #29
BlindMansBluff

naw, its cool dude. I like chatting it up because it gives me more of a perspective on what people think.

but yeh, I get what you are saying, but maybe you are only taking in to account or you can only relate to the training you got or know o whhere they specifically discuss visuals and stuff. since I don't have that anymore you need to understand it is to the BG's disadvantage in my point of view to come "Too" close. feel free to msg on the thread or PM I'll be glad to talk to you more.

I just started a blog about my experiences being a blind gun owner and a target shooter, check it out at http://theblindmansbluff.blogspot.com
Old May 13, 2009, 05:52 PM   #30
PhoenixConflagration

BMB, you are the freaking man! More power to you. If I lived in Phoenix, I'd totally spot for you. Keep up the good work.
Old May 13, 2009, 07:01 PM   #31
BigDaddy

Hmmm, regarding your defensive strategy, I would question whether or not these "bad guys" are going to be standing still long enough for a good grab. If you get a good grab on one he might just give you a good head knock with a blunt object for your trouble. He might even grab your gun. I realize that blindness may limit you to arms length response but some knowledge of joint locks or holds might indeed come in handy.

I have studied Gracie Jiu Jitsu for 6 years now and if blinded I am well capable of defending myself.

--Dave
Old May 13, 2009, 08:17 PM   #32
don95sml

BlindMansBluff wrote:
Quote:
Oh, and before I forget about video, I do have a camera that I take with me. I believe I had one of my spotters take some video of me, but when I brought it home and stuck it on my MSI Wind Netbook I believe it is Mac formatted. and I get find my usb card reader for my Macbook to pull the video off it. I desperately want to post the video on my blog.
So as soon as I find the card reader I will pull the video off the card and post it.
This is fascinating. You said that hitting a 11x11" target was no problem, which has me looking forward to seeing the video on just how you do that. I also wonder whether it is possible for you to tighten your target groups even further. I'm certain that you continually try to improve accuracy, but how do your other senses help you to do that?
Old May 13, 2009, 08:42 PM   #33
BlindMansBluff

actually no. I don't try and improve my shot grouping. I shoot simply to hit from sholder to sholder from bell button to coller bone.

The only reason why I practice 11x11 is for qualifications for my CCW. Once I get the CCW I will stick to my own target goals.

Remember, I in the real world can't point and aim, I can not shoot at distences. So I am ONLY involved with the 11x11 just to qualify.

Call it what you want but I am being honest.

Old May 14, 2009, 08:22 AM   #34
dajowi

Perhaps this might be the one instance where a Taurus () Judge might be a little more appropriate than a standard handgun. He could totally miss the target and put others at risk down range by "blindly" firing his weapon. Oh boy can you see the lawsuits on that one. Even if he hits the bad guy not being able to see whether there is still a threat would he continue firing his weapon until empty. A Taurus Judge would have a limited range and a limited spread pattern but it seems it would be safer for by-standers during a shooting situation.

Tags
glock , happy