The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 15, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
S_Constitutionist

Building up an 870 stock with moleskin to raise POI?

I have a bone stock 870 express that I shoot trap with pretty regularly. The gun fits me ~alright~, but I plan on making some small adjustments such as giving the buttpad some positive toe, increasing the LOP by about a 1/2", and raising the drop at comb to give me a 60/40-70/30 POI. Right now the gun shoots extremely flat if not somewhat low. My goal is to float the bird over the bead rather than having to cover it with the barrel.

Approximately how much moleskin should I add to the comb? I know it will take some adjustment, but a ball park figure? 1/4"? 1/2"?

The gun will also be used for sporting clays/5 stand, so perhaps a smaller adjustment is better than a larger one. Trap is my game 70% of the time... saving for a Browning Cynergy classic trap =)
Old November 15, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
zippy13

Why not just get a Remington factory MonteCarlo stock. It will save you a whole bunch of moleskin.

Image: Remington Country Store
Old November 15, 2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Runngun

Get a Jack West adjustable stock. They are black synthetic, and super quality. You can set it up for whatever height you prefer, and the comb is parallel.
Old November 15, 2010, 10:55 PM   #4
idek

as the third person to respond without actually answering your question ...

another idea would be to try this:

http://www.beartooth-products.com/sh...sing-kits.html

It could be a permanent solution, or, if you think it's butt-ugly, it could be used more as a relatively inexpensive tool to help you determine what adjustment you need. Then you can make a more permanent adjustment afterward.

Going back to your original question, I think it would be hard for anyone to say exactly how much you have to raise the comb to change your POI exactly as you want it. Sounds more like something you'll have to figure out yourself at on a patterning board.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:48 AM   #5
oneounceload

Quote:
Approximately how much moleskin should I add to the comb? I know it will take some adjustment, but a ball park figure? 1/4"? 1/2"?
Until you know your dimensions, I have seen folks take thin cardboard and place it in layers over the comb with the moleskin on top - this way they can adjust it easily without using up a lot of moleskin. There are also folks who install 4-way adjustable combs so you can raise/lower, or move it left/right as needed.
Old November 16, 2010, 09:13 PM   #6
shogan191

Get mole foam instead of mole skin. The individual pads are about 1/8" inch thick. It doesn't take much to change/raise the POI. It's surprising how much a single layer will change the POI. Without knowing the drop and type of rib there would be no way of guestimating how much you need. Remember if you have a mid bead, stack it in a figure 8 with the front bead. If you place two quarters between your eye and the mid bead, you should be able to see at least 1/2 of the front bead. eye)______-m_______F

It'll stay put for at least 400 for 500 rounds unless you sweat a lot. It's adhesive backed.

You'll find molefoam at WalMat in the Dr Scholls section.
Old November 18, 2010, 12:44 PM   #7
S_Constitutionist

Thank you for the replies.

This is meant to be a cheap fix until I get a proper trap gun. I looked at the Montecarlo stocks but I cannot find one in wood- I much prefer wood and I dont want to loose the weight. I suppose I could lead tape the stock...

It looks like the beartooth kit would work well. Does it shift around much or is it pretty stable?
Old November 18, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
idek

"It looks like the beartooth kit would work well. Does it shift around much or is it pretty stable?"

The one I have is a pretty snug fit and stays put fairly well. The inside of the sleeve has a slightly tacky feel which also probably helps. You may notice that after shooting for a while, it may creep forward slightly. Shape and size of the stock will probably determine how much it will do that.