The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 6, 2006, 11:16 PM   #1
HondaCowboy82

Scope on BlackPowder Revolver?

Anybody ever tapped a Cabelas Blackpowder revolver for a scope? if so how hard was it to tap? Also what bases were used?
Old November 7, 2006, 10:45 AM   #2
arcticap

If you post your question here, the expert black powder pistolsmith/owner will give you his opinion:

http://www.bigironbarrels.com/forum/index.php
Old November 7, 2006, 03:53 PM   #3
Lonesome_Dove

A scope on a BP revolver....now there's an anachronism
Old November 7, 2006, 09:36 PM   #4
mec

Back in the early '60s, Al Georg , Pioneering Handgun Hunting put scopes on everything includng probably original 58 remingtons. There were no long eye relief pistol scopes then and he just went ahead and used rifle scopes living with the small field of view he got with the gun extended.

He mentioned some excitement when he shot a black bear with this rig and had to step around the smoke cloud to see if his hit was effective.
Old November 8, 2006, 01:48 PM   #5
tatso7

At one time, I actually mount, not a scope but a laser sight on my 1858 remington cartridge conversion. I made a mounting bracket out of a lightweight aluminum and mount it on top of the octagonal barrel. Im sure you can also mount a scope that way without drilling a hole on your revolver. It actually looks good to me..
Old November 9, 2006, 11:35 AM   #6
Lonesome_Dove

The laser idea is a good one if you're trying to learn to shoot from the hip. You get a faster "feel" for how to hold the gun when you can see that red dot. Marshall Dillon shoots from the hip and NEVER MISSES. Amazing, eh?