The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 30, 2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Chowder

Hiking with rifles

This past memorial day weekend I got a couple friends together and we went out in search for black bear. We didn't get a bear but came back with a squirrel, blisters, 27 miles on our boots and smiles on our faces. This was my first attempt at hunting any large game so I was not expecting to get anything but I can say I learned more than I thought I could in 2 1/2 days. The friends I went with were experienced hunters but new to Alaska so this was a learning event for all of us. I learned a while ago on my small game hunts that a camera is almost as important as my rifle so I will let the pictures do the talking.

We set up camp at the trail head of Resurrection Pass in Hope AK. Sunshine until midnight I love this time of year!

We hiked about 6 miles up the trail and the forest just looked amazing as a suburbanite I learned the difference between the woods, and a forest on this trip .

We got off the trail to head to some lakes that were 3 miles off the trail. We had a GPS but were not prepared for the terrain we encountered. Climbing up and down slopes like this were all too common.

After realizing we had spent hours to barely cover a mile we headed back to the trail. The 6 miles trail hike back to camp felt like a day at the spa after being defeated by creeks and forest lol.

Every once in a while we saw a large enough break in the trees to get a view like this. I love Alaska!

I think this bald eagle knew how tired we were and was circling us. I never get bored seeing these incredible birds.

Once we got back to camp, iced down our knees and had the best hotdogs and beans I have ever tasted... maybe an adult beverage or two, it was time to sleep.

The next day we were a tad beat, so we decided to stay on the trail until we got to higher grounds and had some clearings to bunker down and watch.

Some pics on the way.

Last edited by Chowder; May 31, 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:46 PM   #2
Chowder

And the spot we decided was good enough for the distance we traveled. I didn't get it all in the picture but we had an awesome view up the side of a mountain as well as down into the valley, the wind was also in our favor.

After a few hours and not spotting anything it was time to head back. On one of our water breaks I set my rifle down and it looked like a good photo op. another thing I learned on this trip was how great light weight carbines are in heavy brush. I would not want any of my other rifles over my 1894 in those woods.

I was feeling a bit defeated on the way back until I heard a chatter in the trees. This was the first time I have even seen a squirrel since moving to Alaska, or maybe have just not noticed them since they are everywhere in the suburbs. Good thing I don't go anywhere without my S&W model 18 . This guy was starring me down on a log when I popped him on the top of the head. Squirrel heads are a bit smaller than the targets I usually shoot haha.

Now that I had my prize I could go back to camp in triumph . I forgot to get pictures of this beast on the fire but some olive oil spray salt, pepper, and sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and I had 3 or 4 nibbles of victory!

Over all it was an exceptional weekend and I cant wait to go out and try again for that black bear.
Old May 30, 2013, 09:00 PM   #3
jrothWA

Just one word...

NICE!
Old May 30, 2013, 09:20 PM   #4
big al hunter

I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Nice shootin'.....this was a quick advancement to handgun hunting! Careful, its addictive. Next thing you know you'll be shopping for a 629 or a Ruger Super Redhawk for big game.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:45 AM   #5
Chowder

Quote:
I can't think of a better way to spend a weekend.

Nice shootin'.....this was a quick advancement to handgun hunting! Careful, its addictive. Next thing you know you'll be shopping for a 629 or a Ruger Super Redhawk for big game.
Oh trust me I am already thinking of it haha. I think next time I go for rabbits or squirrel I might just take the S&W. A handgun on the hip is nice to hike with without taking a rifle. It also made me love my model 18 even more, I will never get rid of this revolver. It kinda made me want to get a 617 6" with a red dot also if I ever got serious into small game hunting with a hand gun. Of course I may be just searching for an excuse to buy another gun since I have only taken 1 squirrel with what I have haha.
Old May 31, 2013, 04:00 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

Great pictures. Thanks for posting.
Old May 31, 2013, 08:51 AM   #7
AllenJ

Really nice story and pictures Chowder, thanks for sharing. Beautiful country, good friends, and the lands bounty.....it just does not get any better
Old May 31, 2013, 04:19 PM   #8
jrothWA

Hi Chowder, Ammo question for you?

What loads were you using in the 94? I'm assuming 30/30 caliber?
Old May 31, 2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Chowder

Quote:
What loads were you using in the 94? I'm assuming 30/30 caliber?
It is a .44 mag. For hunting I was using federal 300gn cast core. They clocked in at just a hair under 1600 FPS out of the 20" barrel. The twist of the rifle likes the lighter bullets better but It still put these 300's in a 6" circle at 100 yards off my shooting stick. Off the bench it was about 3-4" groups so it shoots better than me off hand.
Old June 1, 2013, 08:05 AM   #10
22-rimfire

I found your outing very interesting. Folks often ask "How do I get into hunting?" and this is precisely how you "get into hunting". You or your companions are experienced hunters, but not in Alaska. So you get out and learn how it is in your own environment.

The pictures show how it really is. It is not all vistas and beautiful kodak moments.

Carbines are handy sized and yes, your experience demonstrates why carbines are often favored as well as lever actions.

Thanks for the well written original post and the photos to tell the story. Great job!
Old June 1, 2013, 09:35 AM   #11
Rifleman1776

Looks like a fantastic experience. Enjoy it while you, and your knees, can.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:23 PM   #12
BIGR

Nice trip and pictures. I want to take a trip to your state one of these days.
Old June 2, 2013, 08:36 PM   #13
fatwhiteboy

Next time you go bear hunting, take about 5 pounds of bacon with you. Cook it up, leave the frying pan uncleaned.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:33 PM   #14
22-rimfire

Not a bad idea. Make them come to you.
Old June 3, 2013, 01:15 AM   #15
Chowder

I might try the bacon Idea if I can help not eating it all haha. Thanks everyone for the kind words!
Old June 6, 2013, 11:04 PM   #16
tahoe2

great pics Chowder! Great weekend too !!
Old June 7, 2013, 07:14 AM   #17
baddarryl

Jealous! Jealous again!
Old June 7, 2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Jack O'Conner

Hiking with a rifle is what happens when lack of planning and skill occurs during hunting season.

Jack
Old June 7, 2013, 07:03 PM   #19
WV_gunner

I went bear hunting last year, wondered around the woods all day in Boone County by a coal mine. Everyone else brought bolt actions with wood stocks. Everything was of the .30 caliber variety, British .303, 2 .30-06s, and a .300 short mag. I brought a NEF .45-70 with a synthetic stock, at the end of the day everyone was complaining how sore they were from carrying their guns. I didn't even need to shoulder mine, kept it in my hands and carried a spare bullet in my hand too. Only thing sore on me was my legs, something to be said by keeping it simple.
Old June 7, 2013, 09:47 PM   #20
22-rimfire

Quote:
Hiking with a rifle is what happens when lack of planning and skill occurs during hunting season.
It's also what happens when nobody wants to go with you during hunting season.
Old June 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Dirty_Harry

Looks like a damn good time!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old June 10, 2013, 03:46 AM   #22
The Big Game Hunter

Looks like a beautiful area. Good luck next time!
Old June 10, 2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Chowder

Quote:
It's also what happens when nobody wants to go with you during hunting season.
Its a good thing black bear season up here doesn't end . Of course they do go to sleep eventually so that will put a damper on things next winter.
Old June 24, 2013, 12:06 AM   #24
Maligator

Great pics & a really nice narrative. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Old June 28, 2013, 10:34 PM   #25
wyobohunter

Hiking with rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatwhiteboy View Post
Next time you go bear hunting, take about 5 pounds of bacon with you. Cook it up, leave the frying pan uncleaned.
Just make sure you either take the baiting class or keep it on the down low.
Others do a honey burn, still others call (like you would for coyotes). A moose calf in distress is a good one. It's legal to call but be prepared as the wrong kind of bear could come in. Same goes for baiting.

A great place for black bears is the mountains around Kachemak Bay. Especially later on when the berries are in full force (or anywhere else berries are abundant).

The pass is an awesome place. I miss Alaska!

Edit- the 1895 is a great rifle. I bet I carried mine more than any other rifle I own. Especially in the thick stuff.

Edit the edit- oops, I see yours is an 1894. Don't have one for those but want one :-) What I yours chambered in?

Last edited by wyobohunter; June 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM.