The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 15, 2012, 04:10 PM   #26
serf 'rett

rinconjoe - Welcome to the forum.

I've read that dies made for progressive press use have a problem removing the brass deformation because they have a somewhat enlarged mouth. Someone correct this if it’s inaccurate info.

I use standard 40S&W RCBS dies in a single stage and have not seen any need for the Belly Buster or Redding case doctor.
Old February 15, 2012, 04:34 PM   #27
David Bachelder

Its the pistol that causes the problem, there's nothing wrong with the dies. I have even thought about trading my Glock off. Maybe a nice 911?

A side note, my son shoots a Glock chambered in .45 and he does not have Glock Bulge.
Old February 15, 2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

David,

Did you get Lee's bulge buster accessory for the die that pushes the case all the way through the ring? I ask because if you just used it with the case in a shell holder, it wouldn't have a chance to size far enough down the head to remove a Glock bulge.

Serf'rett and Rinconjoe,

The shell holder in any press, progressive or not, stops the sizing die from making it all the way to the bottom of the case. The larger mouth radius on Dillon dies may exaggerate that problem a little. The Redding GRx die and Lee CFCD (Carbide Factory Crimp Die) with Bulge Buster accessory allow the case to be pushed all the way through the sizing ring, rim included, leaving no portion unsized. You could use one on a Dillon 450/500/550/550B station just by not indexing until you pushed all your cases through, then swapping it out for one of the usual dies to use in the loading process. Otherwise, this is the kind of thing I keep an inexpensive Lee Challenger press around for. I'm forever finding another second operation I want to do off the press.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle

Last edited by Unclenick; February 15, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old February 15, 2012, 05:52 PM   #29
David Bachelder

I had a home made pusher. I was pushing the brass all the way through the die. I might add it was a PITA until I learned how to do it effectively. The LEE die worked, I can't say it didn't, however the Redding die just seemed to do the job better. I can't explain it. Maybe the LEE was a little fat and the Redding was a little narrow, I don't know.

The trouble surfaced when the slide on my Glock wouldn't fully close. I'd have to give it a little push now and then. It wasn't much, just enough to be irritating. I bought the Redding kit and all the nonsense stopped.

I am not running LEE down. I have quite a few LEE tools, mostly dies and bullet casting tools. My new lead pot is a 20 lb LEE, along with ingot molds and a ladle (sp?)
Old February 15, 2012, 11:50 PM   #30
NESHOOTER

Quote:
If the LEE bulge buster in .40 isn't made to remove Glock Bulge, I'd also question what was the intended use?
It is a disclaimer as usual and as Uncle says the lee bulge buster will work in its design you have to push the whole case through the die and I would be careful of homemake pushers you could set off the primer the factory kit is reasonable and worth the 20.00 and I don't use it on my progressive due to too much shaking around and the single stage works well for it.
Old February 16, 2012, 05:18 AM   #31
Tim R

Just an observation, but why is it most reloading problems seem to come from Lee equipment? OK I’m going to go my fire suit on with an fire extinguisher handy and maybe even a bucket of cold water.
Old February 16, 2012, 09:20 AM   #32
David Bachelder

I never de-bulged .40 S&W with live rounds or primed brass. I de-bulged .40 brass before it was primed. My home made pusher worked fine. It was an empty piece of 357 mag brass filled with epoxy and it did push the brass all the way through the die. from there it collected in an empty water bottle set over the top of the LEE die. I use the same bottle with my redding die.

1. Inspect.
2. Tumble and clean.
3. De-bulge.
Begin normal reloading process.
Old February 17, 2012, 03:37 PM   #33
thump_rrr

Quote:
Just an observation, but why is it most reloading problems seem to come from Lee equipment? OK I’m going to go my fire suit on with an fire extinguisher handy and maybe even a bucket of cold water
I've only been shooting and reloading for a year or so.
When I first was getting into reloading I bought a Lee 50th anniversary kit to see if I'd like reloading.

I liked reloading so much that I have since bought a Hornady LnL AP Progressive press with a case feeder and a bullet feeder. Hornady and RCBS dies, a Dillon rotary trimmer and a host of other things.

I still load all my precision rifle cartridges on my Lee single stage press using Lee dies and I can't see where I could do better unless I was shooting 600yd matches and every .001 counted.

Here is a pic of a target shot from my Savage 10 BA at 100yds.
The brass is Federal which was picked up from the range.
It was full length sized the first time and neck sized once it was fired through my rifle.
I was using 180gr SMK's with 40gr of Varget and CCI 200 primers.
Velocity averaged 2505fps with an extreme spread of 20.17 and a standard deviation of 7.81.

People should not be discouraged from reloading by others just because they can't afford or are not willing to spend top dollar on reloading equipment.

I'm still using the powder drop that came with the Lee kit and I don't think my cartridges can tell the difference.

What you have below are three 5 shot groups and one 2 shot group.