The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2009, 10:14 PM   #1
wkymaki

New to reloading Please help

I am trying to reload 9mm. I will be using 124 grain hp/xtp bullets, unique or blue dot powder, cci 500 primmers. my book says a c.o.l: 1.060". With my
rcbs dies it seems to short. My reloads leave a "coke bottle" shape. Bullet looks like it is seating just past my Expander dies limit. I would like to increase the col to 1.100 or close to. Does any one have a load that would work? Supplys are limited along with money, But , I do have 600rnds of bullets, 1000 primmers, 2lbs of powder, and a ton of time do. Would like to push out fast rounds safely threw a "Baby Dersert eagle and a barreta 92fs".
Old March 3, 2009, 05:13 AM   #2
Jung918

I am slightly confused. Have you read any of the reloading manuals? What press are you using?
If you are getting a coke bottle shape, you have too much crimp.
This is the order that I use my dies:
decapping/resizing
expanding die
seating die
crimping die (the rcbs dies that I have has the seating die and crimp die in one)

I think what you are trying to say is that you are crimping and seating in one step. You should use one step for seating and another step to crimp.
When seating your bullets, put the cartridge in the shell holder and run the ram all the way up. Install your die until it touches the case and then loosen it. I believe RCBS says to loosen it a half turn. You should check the manual that came with the dies. Tighten the lock nut on the die and then install the seating stem and press the projectile to your desired COL (cartridge overall length). After that, take the seating stem out and loosen the locking nut on the die.
To crimp the cartridge, run the finished cartridge all the way up without touching the die. Then run the die without the seating them down until it touches the bullet. Lower the ram and slightly tighten the die until you achieve the desired crimp.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:04 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

ignore the coke bottle

Then, yes you can safely increase OAL to 1.100"; still function in both guns ("make ten test ten")?

Do so with Unique.

BUt first get your handloads to function before concerning yourself with how fast they go....
Old March 3, 2009, 12:36 PM   #4
wkymaki

Thank you will try again

Great help here, thanks again
Old March 3, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Don P

Reloading will require you to pay attention to details. Read your manuals and the name of one of the guns you name is Beretta, not Barreta. Details! Pay attention and when in doubt double check what you have done
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.

Tags
help with load