The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 13, 2010, 06:21 PM   #26
RickB

The hammer spur of the M1911 was lengthened after a couple of years of production, presumably to make it easier to thumb-cock; if the gun were not being carried in condition two, there'd be no reason to thumb-cock?
Old December 13, 2010, 06:30 PM   #27
bigghoss

if you're carrying condition 3 thumb cocking makes it easier to rack the slide. or maybe that decision, like most decisions involving firearms and the government was made by someone who didn't know anything about guns.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:40 PM   #28
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David the Gnome
I've never gotten hammer bite from a 1911 before...
You need to choke up on the gun, then.
Old December 13, 2010, 06:48 PM   #29
Hoss Fly

Quote:
You need to choke up on the gun, then.
For sure
Old December 13, 2010, 08:00 PM   #30
rptrower

Constatine, below is my SA M-S with a Wilson Combat Commander SS GS. Very easy to install.

Also the proper way to de-cock a loaded 1911:
#1 Remove the loaded mag
#2 Rack the slide to remove the chambered round
#3 Drop the hammer
#4 Reinsert the loaded mag

Old December 13, 2010, 10:02 PM   #31
Tactical Jackalope

Thank you all

Quote:
personally the beavertail GS is a must have since the old GS with spur hammer setup chews up my hand.

as for condition 2-that's a no no. even if you manage to lower the hammer if the pistol does not have a firing pin block a blow to the hammer could set the gun off (the reason people carried their single action wheel guns with an empty chamber under the hammer) condition 1 is the best way with condition 3 being the other option
Agreed 100% with you on that. When I carry it it's in Condition 1

Quote:
No. It primarily allows you to get a higher grip on the pistol, effectively lowering the bore axis and permitting much better control in rapid fire. Additionally it helps locate the hand consistently when acquiring a grip on the holstered pistol.
This sounds like it was made for me then. I shoot the evil out of this gun, and one is usually accurate with all their guns..More accuracy each time I shoot them. PLUS it not biting the hand that feeds? That's a plus

@ David the gnome wow, the guns you have are amazing. Nice collection. If you ever wanna let some go...PM me lol

Hoss Fly
Quote:
Cant really-
The above cut 'n paste, highlight & hit the "wrap quote around text" button is the best you can do
Not a true quote as with some other fourms have-
THANK YOU!!!

Quote:
Before the Army requested JMB to put the hammer safety on the 1911, his original patent showed how to lower the hammer to the half cock notch as a "safety area".
I meant that...That's where I had juuuuust a little away from the hammer not resting on it.

Quote:
Constatine, below is my SA M-S with a Wilson Combat Commander SS GS. Very easy to install.
That's exactly how I want it. Although the same color as the gun or black. I think I may just do it and get used to it. Like I learned from the police, "adjust and adapt" If it doesn't work for me, I can always just take it off anyways right?

Thank you all...I think I'll visit Brownells in the near future
Old December 14, 2010, 11:17 PM   #32
maxim629

I find with a beavertail the pistol is easier to control on recoil YMMV.

Tags
1911 , beaver , bite , springfield , tail