The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 13, 2011, 01:46 PM   #1
CaliDave

Should I fire these passed down Winchesters - Model 94 (.32) & Model 88 (.308)

Hello, New to the forums here so I apologize if this is the incorrect place to post such a thread.

I've been passed down my Grandfathers 2 rifles, a Model 94 (.32) & a Model 88 (.308). I'm pretty sure he did not shoot the Model 94 in over 20 years and there was some rusting in the barrel, but no noticeable issues with the exterior. It was manufactured in 1927. I did not do any exterior cleaning of the gun as it was in good shape, however I cleaned out the barrel with a rod wire tip and then clean out patches and it looks spectacular now using a barrel flash light. The action seems good and all looks good from what I can see.

I'd love to shoot this gun simply for the nostalgia standpoint since it was a family gun and he's now passed on. However, I wouldn't want to damage it in any way. I don't have any plan to sell the gun/s, but I's like to retain it's beauty and not reduce it's value if that's what shooting it will do. Maybe that's having my cake and eating it too.

Also, is his Model 88 (manufactured in 1968) which I know he used in the past 5-10 years for Deer/Elk hunting. I'd like to put this gun into action as well, and even for potential hunting but thought I'd get some advice from those who know best.

Please advise. Thanks. Here are the rifles:
Old May 13, 2011, 01:50 PM   #2
overland

My philosophy is that unless its a rare and valuable collector's item that you intend to sell, clean it, use it and enjoy it. Otherwise the next owner will.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:02 PM   #3
CaliDave

Thanks overland,

I was told the Model 94 is on the rare side and that a collector would be interested, but I don't plan on selling it anytime soon... so.

Also, I guess I'm concerned that the concussion from firing might break something loose... or is that not really a concern with an American made gun like this? The gun is in it's 80s. Do they simply last that long if taken care of and remain in firing condition?
Old May 13, 2011, 02:13 PM   #4
jmr40

I've got a couple of older guns that are similar. I'd use them sparingly. Using them carefully will not hurt their value at all. If you had a 1927 Model 94 still in the box and unfired it would be different.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:22 PM   #5
ohen cepel

I would go easy on the 94 but would still shoot it some, not going to hurt it.

The 88 would be a good hunting rifle if you hunt. Would baby it a bit since it is special to you.

However, using them both will not hurt them nor drive the value down significantly.

I also have a 94 in .32 that I inherited. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but will, and would take it on an easy hunt if the chance came up.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Old May 13, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Baba Louie

Quote:
Do they simply last that long if taken care of and remain in firing condition?
Yes they do and even longer. Downside is always parts availibilty (and/or price) should something break or go aggly. One of my favorite rifles is a Swedish Mauser made in 1900. With luck it'll make another 112 years... and I know a few shooters with older weaponry who shoot them on a limited but regular basis.

If you are a fan of older Winchesters (and I am) you have a pretty fine set of rifles there. Your Grandpa had good taste.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old May 13, 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
CaliDave

Thanks everyone I appreciate the advice! Looks like I'll get to try these out then!

I am a fan, and now own some! Turns out he purchased the 94 a long while back from a friend and then years later the friend tried to buy it back.... my Grandpa didn't sell it back (obviously), so he must have liked it a lot... which makes it even more special to me.

I'm actually surprised he never took me out to shoot with them. I knew he had the .308, but not the 94. Sad we never got to shoot them together.

I also have the original leather saddle case for the 94 (which is why I think the rust accumulated in the barrel as I know they shouldn't be kept in that since it will retain moisture). I'm keeping that as well, just not with the gun in it.

And as far as cleaning is there a correct way to do this? I have a Springfield M1a and a Mossberg 500 and I just break them down and clean them after shooting, however I'm not sure how much I should be disassembling this one after shooting some rounds. The barrel is easy to clean with a rod, thoughts on the rest?
Old May 13, 2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Pukindog

Win. 94

Is it a .32 Winchester Special or a .32-40 Winchester? Big difference. The .32-40 would be worth a whole lot more.

Jeff
Old May 13, 2011, 03:29 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Is it a .32 Winchester Special or a .32-40 Winchester? Big difference. The .32-40 would be worth a whole lot more.
He just said the rifle is 'special to him'. Don't try to turn it into dollar signs. $$$
Old May 13, 2011, 04:05 PM   #10
MLeake

I would shoot both, and think of my grandfather when I used them. They were working rifles to him, so it wouldn't make sense to me to remember him by putting them in a display.
Old May 13, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Loader9

From the pic, the 94 appears to be a round barrel, full mag, with a shotgun butt. This is far from being a rare Winchester....as Winchesters go. By 1924, the round barrel was common with the octagon barrel more rare. The barrel length should be 24" on a 32 Special. As I remember correctly, the 32-40 stopped in the 94 in 1917 or there abouts. It would not be safe to shoot it if a 32-40 with todays smokeless ammo although folks still do it. You can load BP and shoot it but the cleanup is warm soapy water followed by a thorough dry and oil. Regardless, the value is more where and who it came from than the dollar value. NEVER sell these rifles but use them with great care. Hopefully, one day you'll have a grandson to pass them on to.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:10 PM   #12
Buzzcook

There isn't any special cleaning for an older gun. Just don't get too enthusiastic.

Enjoy both guns, shoot both and hunt with both.
Old May 13, 2011, 05:18 PM   #13
CaliDave

Really appreciate the advice folks. Yes, it's the .32 Special, and, don't plan to sell them... would really love to give these to my grandson one day... I just need to have a kid myself first to get the ball rolling!

Were there any thoughts on best cleaning methods for the .32 Special?

Loader9 I'm assuming you were talking about cleaning the Model 94 if it was a 32-40... sorry if you were talking about the .32 Special. Let me know if anyone has thoughts.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Thanks Buzzcook... missed your post.
Old May 14, 2011, 02:13 AM   #14
bamaranger

by all means

Hunt 'em and shoot'em, but do so with good sense. I would not turn either into truck or ATV rifles, or from horseback where very bad things can happen.

The M88 is a neat old rifle and the final evolution of a long line of Winchester levers. Things to keep up with: don't loose the magazine, and , try and not loose the front sight hood (mine is lightly epoxied in). Even in its post '64 form, 88's can be very accurate. My early version (from my Grand dad) is a sure enough shooter.
Old May 14, 2011, 09:23 AM   #15
Quentin2

Quote:
...The gun is in it's 80s. Do they simply last that long if taken care of and remain in firing condition?
Yes they do. I agree with those who say use it sparingly as it's very possible for a part in a rifle that old to break. I have a mixed parts 1913 German Luger that I bought back in 1976. I've fired it a lot over the years and had one part break, the toggle pin which was an easy fix but added another mixed number part. If it had been an all matching numbers pistol I wouldn't have fired it much.

Of course your rifle probably doesn't have part of the serial number stamped on most parts like the German military required at the time. But still you'd like to keep all the original parts so I'd take it out only on special occasions.

BTW, very nice rifles!
Old May 14, 2011, 06:36 PM   #16
hooligan1

Everytime you take them to the woods,,Grandpa goes with. Love 'em and they'll love you.

Last edited by hooligan1; May 15, 2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old May 14, 2011, 08:24 PM   #17
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
.32 Special

Wish I could see the Butt , if it's an Eastern Carbine in .32 Special it's a bit more rare than a standard Carbine ! That 94 looks like it's been in and out of a Scabbard more than a few times !
Old May 15, 2011, 02:52 AM   #18
natman

Quote:
As I remember correctly, the 32-40 stopped in the 94 in 1917 or there abouts. It would not be safe to shoot it if a 32-40 with todays smokeless ammo although folks still do it.
There may be some guns in 32-40 that are not safe to shoot with smokeless ammo, but if the 94 is safe to shoot with smokeless 30-30, why wouldn't it be safe to shoot with smokeless 32-40 ammo loaded to appropriate pressure levels?

Does anyone load factory 32-40 anymore?
Old May 15, 2011, 06:39 AM   #19
Baba Louie

Quote:
Does anyone load factory 32-40 anymore?
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=443897

Out of stock, no backorder... and due in sometime June of this year...
and you can see pricing is related to the old supply/demand thing.

But... there it is. FWIW (not much I know)
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address