The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 25, 2008, 08:25 AM   #1
Smaug

Where do you generally get your consumable supplies?

A couple of responses in this rant thread on MidwayUSA made me thinkg more about buying locally.

It made me wonder where you all buy your stuff.

Brass - Mostly free for handgun calibers. Occasionally I buy some through online retailers. It had been Midway in the past, will probably be someone else in the future.

Bullets - I had bought all my bullets from Midway in the past. I'm going to start looking closer at local places and buying more direct from the bullet manufacturers.

Primers & powder - I buy locally, at Bass Pro lately.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old September 25, 2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Ben Shepherd

Bulk orders from a couple local guys. They know me. They take care of me FTF on the rare occasion I do have a problem. It's true that sometimes the price is a bit higher, but the personalized service and friendship more than offset that.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old September 25, 2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Sevens

I have a pretty long winded and passionate rant in the other thread, and this thread is a good example of how I prefer to deal with what I don't care for about Midway rather than bashing Midway.

Like most, my brass is my stock and range pickups. I don't buy much brass, ever.

I think Midway's prices on primers and powder aren't nearly good enough to make it worth paying both shipping and hazmat handling for primers and powders. I do get some of my bullets from them-- usually jacketed rifle bullets, doesn't add too much weight to my order and the prices are better than I can find locally.

My cast bullets I typically get from a local caster in a local shop or gun show. I don't expect them to be super high quality from a local caster. I'm hoping to place decent sized cast bullet order from one of the bigger casters on the net, I just can't justify the expenditure these days and I have a tiny bit of stock so I'm not up against the wall just yet.

Primers I tend to buy at a gun shop when I find a price I like-- usually anything that is $26 or less per thousand. Needless to say, I'm using old stock and haven't bought in a long time. Some guys talk about group buys and I'd LOVE to do that from somone like Powder Valley with 4 or 5 local guys, but it hasn't worked out for me just yet.

As for powder, there's a store not really close to me but I do get there a few times a year and I love their prices on powder. Most are $14 or $15 a pound, some are around $18 for some of the rifle powders. I tend to use a huge array of powders and I constantly tinker and try different stuff rather than go through keg loads of the same powder, so I always buy in one pound cans and they last me a while. I must have a dozen different powders right now.

I think Powder Valley has the prices by which everyone else on earth is going to be compared to. Who sells this stuff cheaper?

Good topic!
Old September 25, 2008, 10:28 AM   #4
CowTowner

I get my powder from the range I work at part time. I get it at cost plus tax.
Brass is range pickup of course. Augmented by auctions from http://www.reloadersauction.com
I get my primers at the local Fort Worth Gun Show.
I order bullets from Zero for most of my handguns. I watch MidwayUSA for specials on 41 magnum bullets.
My rifle bullets come from Cabella's because they usually have what I want/need in stock so I can walk in and out.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy

Last edited by CowTowner; September 25, 2008 at 01:34 PM.
Old September 25, 2008, 12:58 PM   #5
ryalred

I order most of my brass from online auctions. Powder, bullets, and primers come from a local shop -- I'm lucky, they have good prices and good selection. I used to order quite a bit from Midway, but haven't done so very much lately.
reloading -- addicted
Old September 25, 2008, 02:55 PM   #6
crowbeaner

The problem I have with Midway is that they mark up EVERYTHING first, and then charge shipping, handling, hazmat, and a $3 fee if you have a small order. If I need powder, I try the local shops first to see what they are charging per pound. I realize that they have to charge more because of the shipping, hazmat, BATF magazine license, and their initial outlay. I don't shop at Gander Mountain because their markup is too excessive. If I need to order powder, I use Powder Valley Inc. Bullets I try to buy online if I see a good deal. Primers are catch as catch can; many stores are charging $4 per hundred or more. I try to buy them at the gunshow if I have the money at the time.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:06 PM   #7
ForneyRider

Local places in DFW:

Garland Public Range - Garland, Texas
Powder, used brass, and bullets(Hornady, Sierra), you can pick up your brass only.

Gibson's Outpost - Mesquite, Texas
Powder, primers, some bullets and reloading equipment. You can pick up brass during cease fire.

Southwest Ammo Supply - Mesquite, TX
Powder, primers, bullets, new brass, reloads, reloading equipment, some firearms. They are at most of the local gun shows.

Gun Shows - no price breaks as far as I can tell. Some bulk military bullets.

Cabela's - picked up quite a bit here. Bass Pro didn't have much when I went there.

Gander mountain - tends to be picked over when I go.
Old September 25, 2008, 04:19 PM   #8
VaFisher

Try Graf & Sons, at least they go the extra mile for their customers and offer a nice discount for dealers.
Old September 25, 2008, 08:33 PM   #9
R.Childs

I used to use Midway almost exclusively till their shipping got so out of control. Even sent a couple of emails to them to that effect. Both went unanswered.

So now Midway has been cutoff and all of my powder, primer, bullets, and brass come from Powder Valley. Better prices and less than half the S&H charges. If they would carry other consumables such as patches, solvents, swabs, brushes, jags, etc. I would use them exclusively.

Which brings me to ask, where's the best place to get those type items? I'll be running low shortly since my last bulk order and need a new vendor. I've used Grafs and Sons on a limited basis. Is this the best option??
Old September 25, 2008, 08:53 PM   #10
CowTowner

Hey ForneyRider, try Bass Pro again. They recently started getting reloading supplies in since our Sportsman's Warehouse closed in Lewisville.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 25, 2008, 08:53 PM   #11
DWARREN123

MidwayUSA
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Local shops/stores.
Old September 26, 2008, 02:00 PM   #12
Blacklabelz

• Cabelas for new brass and sometimes JHP bullets.
  • Local range for brass if i'm lucky and the old men with coffee cans havn't got them first.
  • Berry's for plinking bullets.
  • Local store for powder and primers.
  • Gander Mtn. if local store is out of powder/primers.
Old September 27, 2008, 12:08 AM   #13
crowbeaner

HAH! Let's hear it for the little guy! I made a trip to the middle of Lake Effect, NY and the little bitty gunshop there. They had darn near everything I needed at MUCH better prices than Gander. If they'd have had SR4756 my day would have been complete. I got 2# of 4320, a package of 3 BP nipples for $4.95!, a pound of Pyrodex, some RP primers, and a look at several nice rifles and front end loaders! A+ to Sharpshooters Gunshop!
Old September 27, 2008, 12:58 AM   #14
yodarkritch

Midway

Midway may mark it up, but once they have my C & R I get a dealer catalog with discounts built in.. Midway sends alerts by e-mail on sale items each month and I save bux!

I get my hardware from midway and I get my HAZMAT stuff at the local gun shows. At the Orlando fairgrounds shows Pioneer Distributors and Gold coast supply all my powder and primers needs every 3 months

yodar
Old September 27, 2008, 01:29 AM   #15
Fox1

I get my powder, primers and bullets from Cabela's or local gunshops.
Brass is mostly stuff I've picked up at the range.

I did recently order some casings online and I think the prices were pretty good (I'm new to this) so maybe someone can tell me.
$70.00 - 1000 casings of .223, Federal, once fired, needs the primer pockets de-crimped.
$21.00 - 500 casings of 9mm, mixed brands and mixed brass and silver color, once fired.
$10.00 - Shipping and Handling

I was originally just going to get the .223 but the lady on the phone said, "Do you want anything else because there is room in the box and shipping is $10 either way."

Last edited by Fox1; September 27, 2008 at 01:31 AM. Reason: edit: spelling
Old September 27, 2008, 03:52 PM   #16
hodaka

Powder Valley, Natchez, Mid-south and Midway; pretty much in that order.
Old September 27, 2008, 04:22 PM   #17
VaFisher

Most all the above places offer some supplies that are worth buying but none of them carry all I need.
I have a dealer account at Midway and Graf & Sons, with that said I placed a order Friday mourning with Midway it has shipped today according to email conformation. The order I place was for sale item's and the sale price did come up when I looked so placed order. You can get some good sale prices on some items but the bait & switch will drive you crazy if you let it.
Both the above companies sell different items I use, Midway does a bait & switch on some of their sale fliers sent out email and really are very agravating but if the sale price will not come up when ordering you will not get the sale price no way no how will they bend on that so no need to try.
Graf & Sons seem to go the extra mile by calling if they have a question with your order and their shipping seems much better then Midway.
I used Powder Valley for powder and primers mostly if I can't find local, I do like to buy local if I can find but it's getting hard now to find some item's. Bass Pro close buy has powder sometimes but cost more plus you pay taxes, I still buy it when I can if I am in the right mood, it help's local places stay in business and have your products if they know you want them to stock.
Old September 27, 2008, 09:58 PM   #18
aerod1

I usually buy my components at Southwest Ammo, which is on the square in downtown Mesquite, Texas. They cater heavily to the reloader and are very nice people.
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old September 29, 2008, 10:44 PM   #19
totalloser

www.patsreloading.com www.hi-techammo.com www.cheyennebrass.com www.gibrass.com www.natchezss.com www.midwayusa.com

I have had nothing but good luck with all these companies. Pat's and Gibrass have had some REALLY swinging deals on military surplus components.
Old September 30, 2008, 03:39 PM   #20
Mike1

Powders, primers and bullets I get either at gun shows or local shops to save money on shipping/hazmat. Most other stuff is from Midway, Cabelas, Graf, Midsouth or Natchez. I've never had a problem with Midway, and my last 4 orders from them arrived in 3 days with regular UPS.

Mike
Old September 30, 2008, 04:43 PM   #21
Dr. Strangelove

Mostly the same here

I'm lucky enough to have a full-line gun/outdoor shop less than a mile away. I try to purchase from them when I can, though they don't have the best reputation for being friendly in the area. I purchase powder, bullets, and primers through them because their markup is less than shipping charges for the small quantities I buy. Hornady 9mm 155gr HP\XTP #35540 is $18.99 + 7% sales tax. Sure, they're four bucks cheaper online, but add shipping and it washes out or is actually less locally. I'd rather give the local guy a little more money and have him around when I need him.

That said, they no longer carry much in the way of reloading equipment, just can't compete with the online guys. I wanted some .223 dies, they didn't have any stock and wanted to order them for about ten dollars more than I could do it myself. I guess that's where I draw the line. I order that sort of thing from whoever is cheapest.

As far as brass, I have a bunch saved up and I'm not above shooting some cheap factory ammo if I need some. Of course I brasswhore shamefully anytime I'm at the range - keepin those 7mm cases buddy?

Wow - just checked it - Midway would be $27.04 with the $3.00 "small order" charge and shipping for the same bullets!

Last edited by Dr. Strangelove; October 2, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old September 30, 2008, 08:02 PM   #22
HiBC

I have a good,local shop,a gunsmith and his wife.I give them first chance.

For what they don't have,I'll order and I have had good luck with Natchez,Graf,Midway,etc.
BTW,I do not use range brass,I usually buy 200 of CF rifle rounds I don't shoot a lot,or 500-1000 rds of what I do shoot a lot.
Old September 30, 2008, 09:11 PM   #23
mkg

Wideners Shooting supply

Mike
Old September 30, 2008, 09:17 PM   #24
zxcvbob

I buy most of my powder and primers from powdervalleyinc.com. Also Hi-techammo.com occasionally has extraordinary deals but it's hit and miss.

I cast most of my own bullets, but I also buy some from Cabelas, midsouthsshooterssupply.com, and mastercastbullets.com.

And I buy miscellaneous other supplies from Midwayusa and from Midsouth.

And sometimes Dale's Gun Shop (locally), but mostly I go there for gunsmithing.
Old October 1, 2008, 07:29 AM   #25
Sevens

Gander Mountain?!

Of all the places I've seen that actually stock some reloading supplies, tools and components, I don't think anyone is as nuts as Gander Mountain. On one hand, it's refreshing to see some of the stuff that reloaders want and need because obviously, this stuff isn't everywhere. But the prices, especially on their components are just completely outrageous.

I figure there are three kinds of businesses in our hobby of shooting/reloading/hunting.

1) Local small shop
Pro: Local shop with local service. A friendly face, some advice or just an opinion, the kind of place you can just stop in when you have a free moment even if you don't specifically need something. Maybe you buy something even if you didn't go there for that item, just to cast your vote that you are glad they are there. Sometimes they have lightly used stuff or once-fired brass. Their selection covers all the stuff the local super sports store can't go in to detail on.

Con: Their prices aren't likely the rock-bottom cheapest because they are a small scale shop and need to keep the lights on. Their selection isn't monumental because it takes a lot of capital and risk to keep a huge stock, especially with regards to firearms. And sometimes, the guys who own the place or work there are strange or somewhat anti-social at first or always. (I have a helluva time figuring this one out, but it's a real phenomenon)

2) Local Sports Mega Store
Pro: Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, etc-- these guys have a lot of the stuff we use and their prices are competitive. They have a decent stock, too and a really good selection. They have a pretty good supply of guns and sometimes you can find a real bargain if they haven't done all their research on a used firearm. If you need to return something, it's more like dealing with the customer service counter at any other store than walking in a specialized shop and returning something.

Con: Finding one of these places if you don't live near one is dicey at best. As frugal as I am, it's senseless to drive 140 miles to Cabela's so I can get some components, so I hit them when I'm near them on my way to something else. And personal service in these places really doesn't exist, you may as well be in a Wal-Mart. There's no customer loyalty or a friendly face.

3) Catalog/online ordering
Pro: Selection is tops, they stock more and even if they don't, they get fresh stock quickly. Price comparing and browsing is done at your leisure and at 1 am if you wish. Prices are lowering than anywhere on earth. Product descriptions, suggestions, comparisons, it's a great way to shop. No damn sales tax.

Con: Can't pick it up and hold it, look at it, or walk out of the store with it. Have to deal with website bugs depending on where you shop. Have to deal with shipping costs and possible delivery issues if you don't have a good place for packages to be left. Very little personal service and rarely is there a table full of used items or old stock to sift through.

With all that said, I find Gander Mountain to offer the cons of each with the pros of none. Their selection is better than a place that doesn't stock any shooting stuff but their prices make you do a double take. Some stock sits there for years untouched because the price is so bad. Nobody who works there really has half a clue if you ask them a question. It's not nearly the size or stock/selection of a Cabela's or Bass Pro.

Sometimes I go in because it's been months and I keep thinking that a new manager is going to walk in and see the sales from the reloading section and realize that it simply does NOT get sold. I figure he'll wake up and either re-price everything competitively, or simply elect to discontinue all of it and start selling it off at clearance prices. But yet I go in there and the only thing that doesn't have dust on it is the price tag which seems to get updated often.