The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 2, 2008, 03:57 PM   #1
Ulrice

First shot problems

I'm new to black powder. I've only had my gun out twice. Both times I had to fire five caps off before my first loads went off. All other loads went off first try. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
Old March 2, 2008, 04:29 PM   #2
Hawg

Oil in the chambers is my guess. Did you pop caps on empty chambers before loading? If not that's most likely the problem
Old March 2, 2008, 06:42 PM   #3
sundance44s

Yep pop a cap sometimes 2 on a well oiled rifle before you load it .If you know it`s heavy oiled run a dry patch then pop a cap or 2 .
Old March 2, 2008, 06:54 PM   #4
Ulrice

I did not pop any caps before loading. I'll do that next time, thanks for the help.
Old March 2, 2008, 08:34 PM   #5
scrat

thats your problem. After firing a dry cap to clean out the nipples i load her up. Then before putting on the percussion caps i take a nipple pic and run it through the nipples. if i feel powder im usually pretty good 99.99999% it will fire immediately on first try
Old March 3, 2008, 06:26 AM   #6
sundance44s

Ulrice ..another tip ..if your loading a side lock ..always put the hammer on half cock when loading this will allow the powder to be pushed into the nipple drum area by expelling the dead air out of the nipple flash hole , otherwise the trapped air will keep the powder from entering that air space .
Old March 3, 2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Pahoo

By your post, I am assuming that you are shooting a side cocker with a #11 cap. You know what assuming gets you!!
Anyway, on such a M/L , Prior to the initial load, I insert a damp patch all the way down the bore with my Range Rod. I then pop one cap, Pull the rod and check the crud on the patch. That tells me the vent is clear and whether or not, I need to pop another cap. If the patch shows a bunch of mud, I change the patch and pop a second cap. This also allows for a little back pressure to clear the vent back toward the snail head. You also catch all the crud at the patch and keeps it out of the bore. Again, I only do this on #11 or musket caps and have never tried it on a 209 as most if not all of these are inlines.

Be safe!!!
Old March 3, 2008, 12:51 PM   #8
Wild Bill Bucks

Little off subject, but I thought it was interesting, and informative enough that is deserves posting. I was amazed at the difference in these products.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_...orrosion2.html
Old March 3, 2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Pahoo

A bit perhaps but definitely associated and informative. Went to the home page and found some other interesting information. I thank you !!

Be Safe !!
Old March 3, 2008, 11:53 PM   #10
Ulrice

Pahoo I am using a side cocker with a #11 cap. Thanks to everyone for the help as well as the slightly off topic info. It's all new to me.
Old March 4, 2008, 01:34 PM   #11
Pahoo

Thought you might and sure sounds like you have this problem on the run. Take care, have fun and .... Be Safe !!!