The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 14, 2005, 03:38 PM   #1
SomeKid

Surefire, and carry case?

I have been thinking of getting a surefire for day to day carry, they seemed pretty nice when a co-worker showed me his.

Question I mainly have, is are they worth it, and does anyone know a good holster for them which would be extremely secure? I don't want to loose the thing for obvious reasons.
Old September 14, 2005, 03:49 PM   #2
Avizpls

I think they are worth it. as far as a holster goes, I use my pocket.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:15 PM   #3
blackmind

The reason I don't think they are worth it is that they are SO expensive for what you get. If you want to spend like 1/4 the price, you can have a flashlight that may not have quite all the "features" and may not be exactly as bright, but it costs you only $40. That would be this flashlight, the Inova T2, 3 watts, 40 lumens. Or the Inova T3 85 lumen flashlight for just $50. I have both, and I like them a lot.

Some argue that the light is just "not the same" from an LED, but I myself find it brighter, whiter, and clearer than from conventional flashlights (although I have admittedly limited experience with Sure Fires). My favorite benefit of the Inovas is that they are LED, and as such are far more resistant to shock breakage, and their life is expected to be "lifetime." In other words, you will probably have your T2 or T3 until they manage to make the same size flashlight three times as bright with not-yet-here technology -- not until your flashlight lamp simply breaks and you have to spend an ungodly sum to replace it.

All you'll have to replace with the Inova LED flashlights is the CR123A lithium batteries. At Walmart, they go for about $6+; at The Battery Station, you can select packs of them, shipped in various Pelican or Otter cases, for just over $1 a battery. (Scroll down in that link and you'll see several deals.)

The choice is yours, but I recommend LED lights.

-blackmind
Old September 14, 2005, 06:20 PM   #4
Derius_T

I also know a few people that swear by the Inova. Have not personally used one, but those that have say they are superior.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:26 PM   #5
keens

I have twp G2's and my wife has one as well. They are about 40 bucks for 65 lumens in a smal package. I like mine and recommend them highly...everytime I use mine around other folks they want one too...I use pocket carry as well...if I carried a larger one, I would use the surefire holsters.
Old September 14, 2005, 06:48 PM   #6
danco

Quote:
Question I mainly have, is are they worth it
Yes. Once you buy your first, you'll be hooked...

~Dan
Old September 14, 2005, 07:32 PM   #7
sendec

I have 4 Inova products, but have not yet purchased any of the tactical lights though I have played with them and believe that they could be a good value.

I have too many Surefires to count and have carried one or another since they were first introduced. Yes, they are pricey, but you are getting a lot of light in return and a level of reliability and technology commensurate with the price.

The G2 allows an intro to Surefire at a reasonable price. The E2E is just a great EDC. The lower power LED L1 is a great general purpose light. The A2 Aviator gives you the best of both LED and tungsten.

I use the pocket clip in lieu of a holster and havent lost one yet, and it frees up belt space.
Old September 14, 2005, 08:31 PM   #8
IZinterrogator

I used one of these holsters in Iraq because G2Zs don't have belt clips:

If I didn't lose it there, you won't have to worry about losing it here.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old September 15, 2005, 04:25 AM   #9
SomeKid

G2

I found a place selling a Surefire G2 for $32, plus another 5 on shipping. Good deal, or waste? I am thinking it looks like it would be worth snagging.
Old September 15, 2005, 06:18 AM   #10
keens

That sounds about right to me...that is what I paid retail. I ususally see them for $39 and change around here (SC). I think you will like the G2...I was in Africa in July '04...it is quite dark at night in sounthern Mozambique...when we were out at night, I was glad to have such a powerful light...you will be too I think.
Old September 15, 2005, 09:33 AM   #11
Evader1

Bought my first Surefire and have been hooked ever since. For it's size, the most powerful flashlight I've ever owned. I have the G2. I paid $34 with batteries. Got it wet, still works. Been dropped and still works. But be careful, it's not your everyday flashlight. it gets about 2 hrs burn time and that's it and the lens gets real hot. So either buy a bulk of batts. or get a cheapy for everyday stuff. Here's an overview of the G2 if you wanna check it out...........http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2ni.html
Old September 15, 2005, 10:21 AM   #12
SomeKid

As I read more about them, do they only get one hour before the battery dies, and then only a few more hours before the bulb goes?
Old September 15, 2005, 10:48 AM   #13
Evader1

The bulb seems to be fine. I've already gone through my first set of batteries and the bulb is bright as day one. From what I've been told you can squeeze about 2 hrs of light from the batts. I just carry mine in my side pocket.
Old September 15, 2005, 11:10 AM   #14
SomeKid

Alright, I think I am about a half an inch from buying a G2.

Evader, I am curious, how many batteries is a set? (Forgive the silly sounding questions, please.)

Also, if the bulb does go, are they expensive/hard to replace?

Lastly, would you trust your flashlights to this holder?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/suv25clho.html
Old September 15, 2005, 11:16 AM   #15
leadcounsel

Cost of batteries

My advice is to get a flashlight that uses batteries that are inexpensive and common.

I bought two very bright flashlights, similar in design to the surefires, from Costco for a really cheap price, like $30 or $40 ish. They came with 4 lithium batteries (2 each). The batteries lifespan was short however. When I went to buy new batteries, I learned that the batteries were cost prohibitive so I no longer use the flashlights. Seems to me that it was about $5-10 per battery, which I think is excessive since they don't seem to last very long (in that flashlight). While I can easy "scrape up" $10, feeding a flashlight $10 isn't really that appealing to me when other flashlights function fine on batteries at 10% the cost.

Maybe surefires make their batteries last longer or use different batteries? The key is to make sure they are affordable batteries.

after writing this I saw a the above link for batteries. That may be the best way to go. I can once again afford to feed my flashlights every hour!
Old September 15, 2005, 12:10 PM   #16
SomeKid

On batteries.

Firstly, blackmind, thanks for this link to the battery store. That said, lets find the best batteries to get.

http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

At the very bottom of the list, they have rehcargables. From the look on the voltage output, they are perfect for a G2. This would save me from ever having to buy new batteries, or am I missing something?

If I read it all right, the charger for the rechargables is 15, and each rechargeable battery is 9. So, $34 gets me all the 123a batteries for my Surefire I would ever need. Or would y'all recommend against rechargeables and going for the disposables?

Last edited by SomeKid; September 15, 2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old September 15, 2005, 01:24 PM   #17
Cazach

Surefire's lithium batteries have a 10 year shelf life can be had for $15/ dozen directly from Surefire. You will probably wear out more batteries playing with (and being amazed by) these great little lights, than from actual use.
Old September 15, 2005, 03:00 PM   #18
Evader1

Hey Somekid, not a dumb question at all. It takes 2 Lithiums and I go to my local gun range and get the batteries for $4 for 2 of them (in a pack). As far as that holster. heck no man! I wouldn't trust it. I keep it in my cargo pants when I'm in the field. Far as the bulb goes, got me. I tried to figure it out last week and no clue! I have to agree though with Cazach, you're gonna burn through the first set just by playing with that little light. it's like a mini spot light and fun to use at night when you wanna glass an open field for animals or something
Old September 15, 2005, 03:10 PM   #19
SomeKid

With a 10 year shelf life, I think I will just buy a whole bunch of extras, and toss a few in my car, but I still cannot shake the idea that maybe I ought to use the rechargeables, it wouldn't take long to make my money back depending how much use I give it, conversely the bulb would last longer if I ration it. But I hate rationing my toys!

Evader, why exactly would you not trust the holster? Is there something I do not know?
Old September 15, 2005, 03:59 PM   #20
Sam815

Surefire G2

I've have a G2 for sometime now and they are awesome. While driving at night recently I through mine in my back pocket and needless to say it went on due to momentary on switch. Well after a few minutes the heat from the light alerted me and I had to pull over. I opted for their V70 holster instead of dropping in my pockets. While they can be considered expensive for their features in an emergency situation they would be invaluable. Take the recent power outage in L.A. Let's face it, if they can get you out of harm's way then they are well worth the price.
Old September 16, 2005, 03:37 AM   #21
SomeKid

Sam, I assume it has better retention than it appears?

http://www.lapolicegear.com/suv70spho.html
Old September 16, 2005, 07:39 AM   #22
Evader1

Thing about rechargables is, would it be as powerful as the lithiums? Anyone know on that? Somekid, that holster with the velcro strap makes me wary and I for some reason just don't trust it for a somewhat pricey flashlight. However one of those plastic holsters looks pretty good. I am thinking of looking for one. One piece of advice though for the batteries. When not in use, back the tail piece all the way off because it will slowly drain the power out. (Just found that out last night). Buying in bulk seems like a good idea too, I'll be bringing my G2 along this hunting season starting Oct 1 (in Pa). So more Batts would be beneficial
Old September 16, 2005, 09:10 AM   #23
Sam815

Somekid, I just received my V70 and fit and function is flawless. The spacer kit which comes with the holster allows you to adjust for different belt widths and only way it will come off belt is by removing since it's a belt slot type and not a paddle style holster. Like Evander stated, it can easily drain battery if not completely turned off or by activating momentary switch when carrying around in back pants pocket since it doesn't require much pressure on the botton to activate.
Old September 16, 2005, 03:56 PM   #24
SomeKid

Alright, lets just group the links up, for ease.

http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm - Battery place to buy in bulk.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/sug2ni.html - The G2.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/suv70spho.html - The V70 holster.

Regarding the question about the rechargeables being bright.

On the battery website, they are listed as having 3.6 volts (or 4.2, I see differing numbers), the ones that come with the light, Surefire brand, are only 3.0v. Here comes a new though, does brand matter? Get Surefire cheap, or maybe pay the extra for duracells? (I am thinking no.)

The batteries I will be ordering seperate. I am thinking however I may as well go ahead and buy the light and the carry case. Any thoughts on that I ought to consider? I do think it may be wise to buy some disposables, and carry them in the car since they have a 10 yr shelf life.

All comments are welcome.
Old September 16, 2005, 05:06 PM   #25
IZinterrogator

Evader, the stitch lines that run horizontally across the nylon holster are the upper and lower boundaries of the velcro. That is a big hunk of velcro and it is very secure in there. Trust me, it has never accidentally come undone and I have done some wild sh...tuff while wearing that holster that the average joe would never do. My Gerber holster is secured with less than a third of that much velcro and it has never come undone, either.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams