The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 8, 2004, 09:54 PM   #1
Full Metal Jacket

Hearing Protection at home?

Just curious, if you use a big bore handgun for self-defense at home, (or any other gun for that matter which is loud) is it worth it to keep a set of ear plugs or other hearing protection next to the gun?

I realize this:

Advantages: You will be able to get off multiple round quickly at a BG because your eardrums will not be blown out, and the BG will probably be stunned if the gun is loud enough

Disadvantages:
You lose all awareness, and the BG could sneak up on u and pop one in u without u ever hearing it coming

what do u think?
Old December 8, 2004, 10:12 PM   #2
Chiram2003

I had to think about this one for a few minutes.

If you use plugs:
You run the risk, like you said, of the perp sneaking up on you more quietly than you realize and being able to either disarm you or use his own weapon (assuming he has one) and do to you what you are planning to do to him. If he doesn't have a weapon and doesn't want to take his felony to a capitol crime, he still has the chance to blind side you.

If you don't use plugs:
While you will be able to hear things better, you subject yourself to the loud report of the firearm. It is less likely that the perp will sneak up on you, as you can (hopefully) hear his footsteps behind or in front of you.

Now let's break it down:
Yes, you are more subject to the report of the weapon in exchange for being able to hear the perp. However, you also have to realize that alot of deer hunters don't wear plugs or muffs while hunting. I'll admit that some do, but many don't. Here's what should be considered. At most, you are going to be using 6 shots out of a revolver or 12 to 15 shots out of a semi-auto. In the past (refering to people like my father), people shot without any ear protection, mainly because they didn't understand the consequences of multiple reports from their handguns. For instance, my father shot an average of 100 rounds a day, 6 days a week for about 5 years from a .44 mag. During that time, if we average it up, he shot 150,000 rounds. He is showing signs of hearing loss from that, but, with everything considered, not that bad. However, the report of the weapon inside a house does echo a bit and seems much louder than when you're out on the range.

So, it's completely up to the individual. Personally, I would not use any type of hearing protection while defending my home simply because I don't want to sacrifice hearing that person before they realize I'm there. If I do have to take a shot, I know I will get that familiar ringing in my ears, but I would rather have that than be in the hospital or, worse yet, the morgue.

Just my two cents.
Old December 8, 2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Matis

Location: Used to live in the USA; now find myself in the twilight zone.
What about wearing...

...electronic hearing protectors. Upon hearing suspicious sounds in the night, pop on the the electronic ears. You'll then have the advantage of amplified hearing and still be protected from the guns report should you have to use it.

matis
Old December 8, 2004, 10:33 PM   #4
K80Geoff

I had the same idea. Electronic ears can give you an advantage over perps. I'm gonna keep mine near my ready safe at night.
Old December 9, 2004, 01:57 AM   #5
Alaskanmonte

I think that your reason for wanting to use ear protection in this situation is a good one but not something I'm worried about if someone is in my home when they shouldn't be. If I hear a bump in the night I want every advantage over the perp I can get. I would rather have my ears ring for several hours than have my wife or daughter (or me) hurt or even worse by some idiot in my home.
Old December 9, 2004, 02:44 AM   #6
claude783

The adrenalin will be so high when you hear that "bump in the night" that you probably won't even remember to put in the ear plugs, or put on the ear muffs!

Also, when/if you have to fire your gun, you won't even be aware of much more than "tunnel" vision.

After it's over, you will find the adrenalin will leave you shaking, butterflies in you stomach, and wanting to vomit!

The last thing in the world you will notice, think about is the noise, flash, or the ringing in the ears!

Next comes the hard part, living with what has occured!
Old December 10, 2004, 12:06 AM   #7
Chiram2003

Brought this up to some buddies of mine and here is what one told me.

"The first time I drew down on a suspect, he had a gun pointed at me. I ordered for him to drop the pistol, but he did not. He was screaming something...can't remember what now. He went to fire and had a misfire. He went to chamber a new round and I fired. I actually thought my gun was messed up because it sounded about like a .22 Short going off."

Turns out, most officers (and I'm assuming most people that shoot in a defensive move) are so overwhelmed by adrenaline that the ears almost shut off at the time the trigger is pulled. I don't have any scientific evidence to back this up, but that is my hypothesis.
Old December 10, 2004, 04:39 AM   #8
mete

SWAT teams use 'flash bangs' which produce a very bright flash and very load bang .This will temporarily disrupt the BG. Muzzle flash and bang can do similar things though there is an adrenaline effect .
Old December 10, 2004, 08:03 AM   #9
John Ringo

I would not recommend hearing protection for home defense. In a stressful situation you are probably not going to have time to put on hearing protection. It would also decrease your tactical advantage because you are going to have some sensory deprivation. You are going to have to keep your eyes and ears open if an intruder comes into your home. You're just going to have to deal with the noise for a few shots.

In a home invasion situation there are many things that you are going to have to analyze quickly: (1) how many intruders, (2) where are they, (3) are they armed, (4) is it actually an intruder, or is it your son or daughter coming home from college in the middle of the night, and (5) do you need to use deadly force.

In the State of Ohio you cannot legally shoot someone and use deadly force if someone enters your house. As silly as this sounds. I know someone who actually got arrested when someone broke into his home. He went after the intruder and held him at gun-point. When the cops arrived they arrested him because he was "blocking" the intruders means to exit. This is no crap. He got arrested because he was standing in the doorway holding the guy at gun point when the Columbus Police arrived.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old December 10, 2004, 08:31 AM   #10
K80Geoff

True...if some dirtbag kicks in my door and charges down the hall, the last thing I will think about is hearing protection.

But in a situation where I hear noises and am not really sure having hearing enhancement could be an asset.

Every situation is different, nothing works for every eventuality.

Now the question is which brand gives the most enhancement.
Old December 10, 2004, 09:01 AM   #11
eka

I am not aware of any SWAT or tactical teams that utilize any form of sound dampening device. I know our team doesn't. I wouldn't personally be in favor of it. I would not want anything that could interfere with my senses. Also, you can bet the farm that if you put on the muffs before you even investigate what the problem is and then have to shoot the crook, some sleazy lawyer will make a huge deal out of it when you get sued. The arguement being that you knew the minute you heard the noise that you were going to shoot somebody. No thought about calling the police or dealing with the situation in a less than lethal manner. Those statements wouldn't be true, but they don't have to be. The game is to make the jury believe it.

Now, John, as to the Ohio laws concerning intruders in your home. I don't think I would sleep well at night in Ohio. In Virginia, where I live, you can't automatically use force on an intruder in your home. You can defend yourself as you can anywhere else. If you shoot, or hit, or stab, or whatever, an intruder in your home, you have to be able to articulate that the person had the ability, opportunity, and intent to do you or somebody else harm. If somebody breaks into my home during the night while my family and I are sleeping, I think I can articulate all of these things if I confront this guy and he does anything but prone out immediately. Also, in Virginia, a private citizen has the right to arrest any person for a felony committed in their presence, and use whatever force would be reasonable and necessary to accomplish that. That having been said, most individuals would not attempt to effect an arrest at the local grocery store, that is what the police are there for. But inside your home, is another thing all together. All the cops I know would be delighted to arrive and find the bad guy being detained in a reasonable manner. Makes our job so much easier.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old December 10, 2004, 09:43 AM   #12
K80Geoff

Electronic muffs actually allow you to hear certain sounds better, like normal conversation. They do not dampen your senses, rather they improve your ability to hear. I have noticed on the range (indoor) other shooters breathing in the stall next to me. I actually have to turn my muffs down at indoor ranges!

I am amazed seeing SWAT teams decked out with all the latest tactical goodies not using eye and hearing protection.

Take a close look at photos of GI's in Iraq. They all have some form of eyewear, and not the issue BCD's. Wiley X glasses and ski goggles are common. Have not been able to tell if ESP ear plugs are common. ESP plugs do the same thing electronic muffs do but are fitted to the ear canal.

The next advancement in combat gear?
Old December 10, 2004, 01:57 PM   #13
eka

I didn't mention eye protection, because the discussion was focused mainly on hearing protection. We wear goggles for eye protection.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Old December 14, 2004, 03:23 AM   #14
106RR

I have been in many firefights using a (way loud)106mm Recoilless Rifle. This was 67/68 RVN. The problem with no hearing protection comes after the first shot. You will be unable to pick up sounds that are crucial to survival.
When auditory exclusion occurs, that is the muzzle blast sounds muffled, it still does permanent damage to your hearing. In auditory exclusion, the brain alters your perception of the blast but not the volume of the blast.
I would advise the use of electronic muffs for in home fights. The blast effect will be enhanced by the walls. My most painful sound was from my own 45 ACP fired inside a tunnel, it felt like someone shoved chopsticks in my ears. Stay out of tunnels!
Yes, I am hearing handicapped.
Old December 14, 2004, 09:03 AM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Claude783 said,
Quote:
The adrenalin will be so high when you hear that "bump in the night" that you probably won't even remember to put in the ear plugs, or put on the ear muffs!
Really? I don't think so. When I hear a bump in the night, I manage to remember my gun, so why would I not remember my muffs? The muffs are next to the gun. It really comes down to how well you plan out these things and whether or not you practice. If you grab a gun, you put on the muffs. It is that simple.

With that said, when I hear a bump in the night, my body does not seem to immediately go into a flight or fight adrenaline dump. Generally speaking, it is because I am not scared. With pets and children, bumps in the night are not an immediate sign of an intruder.

Even when I have been roused by a sound that seemed quite frightening and adrenaline did flow, muffs and gun were properly procured and used. The sound was that of the glass in a picture shattering after the drywall holding the nail on which the picture was hung let go.

Not only do we have the muffs to go with the guns, but body armor and eye protection. What determines implementation and donning of gear is time available.
Old December 15, 2004, 12:27 AM   #16
Derius_T

To John Ringo: I'm not really sure of what you were trying to say about the laws in Ohio, but the law clearly states that in your HOME is the ONE PLACE, and ONLY PLACE, as far as the state of OHIO is concerned where you ABSOLUTLY DO NOT HAVE A RESPONSIBILITY TO RETREAT! You are entitled to defend your home.

Now, does that mean you can shoot any old intruder, no. In fact, if you see them running with your TV, you better holster your gun and call the LEO's.

BUT, if they advance on you in a threatening manner, have ANY type of weapon, or are between YOU and YOUR FAMILY, then its considered life threatening, and you can do what you have to do.

Personally, if I CATCH some idiot in my house, he's getting a good look at eternity down the barrel of my .45 while I call 911 and wait for the LEO's.

If he runs, I've got a description and hopefully the LEO's get him.
Old December 22, 2004, 12:15 AM   #17
1bigtaco

100% no ear plugs for me. For me, when my hearing is impaired my other 4 senses are extremely dulled. I want natural hearing when SHTF!
Old December 22, 2004, 04:02 AM   #18
Powderman

Consider Peltor Presidential Ear Protectors.

These are electronic hearing protectors that actually AMPLIFY the sounds you hear. You can actually hear whispered conversation through thin walls, and through open doorways.

However, once the sound impulse passes a certain level, the muffs shut down for a millisecond.
Old December 22, 2004, 09:29 AM   #19
Double Naught Spy

Most electronic hearing protection has the ability amplify sound. The issue isn't one of amplification, but sound quality and directionalism. Most of the more expensive versions (over $100) have better sound quality and have stereo hearing such that when you hear a sound off to your right, you know it is off to your right. Some of the cheaper models still work very well, but things may sound like they are in an echo chamber/large room and are generally mono, not stereo, so you don't have the directional capabilities.
Old December 22, 2004, 10:25 AM   #20
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
directional discernment

I agree. I use the Outdoor Guide 40 dollar ones from sportsmansguide and at the range they are fine.
Some background static, but good at muffling sounds of the blast as well as the action cycling/closing.
Easy to pick up conversations from behind you while walking down to get your target. This I suppose is one advantage of non-directional hearing!

I also used them in the home. It does not confer the semse of 'that was from the kitchen' that your ears do. But you CAN still hear the noise, and the hearing protection with the sound wave bouncing off the walls and back to your ears makes me less hesitant to fire indoors. Since you are pretty familiar with the layout of your home, it should be easy to figure out basically where the sound came from: 1. BG is not in the room with you eliminates one place, 2. squeaky floorboard he stepped on means either right in front of the garage door or the TV, 3. I can see the only exits from both areas so I am as covered as can be.

You do what you have to.

But the better ones should do all that and more. It was all about cost when I got the OG ones.

C-
Old December 29, 2004, 10:32 AM   #21
Chuck Jennings

electronic muffs right next to the 870 . . .
Old December 29, 2004, 12:26 PM   #22
the possum

I don't use ear plugs of any kind. I'm not so concerned about remembering them; I just don't think I'd have time to put them on.

I don't see how they help, anyway.
Both traditional and hi-tech muffs/plugs will reduce your tactical advantage before the shot, and after. Going without, at least you have your hearing before hand. I shoot my pistols (.45 mostly*) indoors all the time without hearing protection, while eliminating vermin around the farm. Even in small rooms with concrete floors and tin walls & ceiling, the sound is no big deal. I've gotten used to it.

Several times I've taken buddies along, the sound really affected them, even outdoors. In fact, one time, I actually had to put my hands over my buddy's ears so he could continue firing, it was disturbing him so bad. It didn't bother me at all. Thus, indoors or out, I think it's more important to get accustomed to gunfire without hearing protection, rather than relying on gadgets you may not get the chance to use.

*I have also done this with my .454 Casull. That, I certainly don't recommend. However, .45 ACP, .40 S&W, and 9mm have been no problem at all.
Old December 29, 2004, 06:55 PM   #23
mr. ed

Years ago, I remember reading about a special type of ear plug that allowed normal hearing until the application of noise at a certain level, during which a little flap (or valve)in the earplug would close. In other words, your hearing would be normal until the occurrence of a loud noise, which supposedly would activate the flap and protect the ear drum. I don't know if this ever worked well or if it's still available.