The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 5, 2002, 11:27 PM   #1
JWM

Replacement bbls for my 870

I have a new Wingmaster 870 12-gauge shotgun "light contour" bbl. Can I swap into other standard 870 bbls ?? The basic 870 receiver is the same within gauge, correct ?

My idea is that I would like to get a 18.5 inch "police bbl" made by Mossberg, and then my sporting shotgun would double as a home defense shotgun during the off season.
Old September 6, 2002, 01:36 AM   #2
DML

An 870 is an 870 and any barrel made for a 12 ga. 870 will fit your receiver. The only limitation is the length of shells that your receiver is designed for. For example, a barrel chambered for 3" shells will fit a 2 3/4" receiver, but you can only use 2 3/4" shells.
Old September 6, 2002, 09:48 AM   #3
Omaha-BeenGlockin

If you currently have a light contour barrel---there is the possibility that you might have to open up the barrel channel in the forend------not quite sure about the 870----you definitly would have to with an 11-87 that originally had a light contour barrel.

Or you could buy a second forend and change it when you change barrels. I didn't say it would be easy.
-------Metallica
Old September 6, 2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

JWM,I may be repeating myself, but many gun shops have used riot style bbls around for a pittance. Let your fingers do the walking and see what pops up....