The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 30, 2011, 06:45 PM   #1
9-ball

holster / mag pouches advise?

Hello,

I'm buying myself a new Glock 17 and I intend to try and shoot IPSC production division with it. Now I don't have any open carry holsters but I don't want to spend to much money as long as I'm not sure if I'd like to continue shooting IPSC. Another consideration is that I'd want to get into IDPA, which isn't practised at the moment in Belgium, but I'd like to see it happen, so maybe one day...

To state it short: which holster and mag pouches would you advise for a starter in IPSC production? I've been looking at the Fobus Roto-Holsters, any experiences? Also, should I get a paddle or a belt holster?
Old May 30, 2011, 07:43 PM   #2
mellow_c

I know someone who bought one of those Fobus Roto Holsters. It was inexpensive and looked like a good deal, but after he got it, we determined it was JUNK. It was way too tight on his Glock 17 (same as you) and even with it as loose as it could be it was still too tight. It was as if you needed something to hold your belt down so you could pull the gun up out of the holster. There was something else we didnt like about it, but I dont remember what it was.
Anyway, he ended up getting one of those holsters with the button or paddle that you press with your trigger finger to release the gun. It fit much better, was smoother, and gave an easy "yes" or "no" retention. I think it was a BLACKHAWK.... somthing like this..... http://www.theshootersbox.com/store/...x&cPath=82_182

Good luck
Old May 31, 2011, 05:14 AM   #3
9-ball

Thank you for the feedback mellow_c,

with the Blackhawk holsters, is it possible to disable the need to press a button? I've never seen such a holster before but it might look like it could slow me down... correct me when I'm wrong.
Old May 31, 2011, 06:42 AM   #4
AK103K

Blade Tech makes very good, and reasonably priced holsters. Ive used them for years, and have never had a complaint.

http://www.blade-tech.com
Old May 31, 2011, 11:26 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Race guns; Blackhawk SERPA...

If you plan to tote the Glock 17 9x19mm for target match use or for range training, I'd look at the polymer Blackhawk SERPA holster(s). They sell a version that does not have the level II security features.
The holster can be adjusted for angle/cant & carry style(high ride/FBI/crossdraw).

Blade-tech, Fobus, COM Holsters, Kramer, Safariland also sell target/match rigs.

ClydeFrog
www.Safariland.com www.COMholsters.com www.Blade-tech.com www.Blackhawk.com www.Galcogunleather.com www.Mitchrosen.com .
Old June 1, 2011, 10:33 AM   #6
champ198

Im going through the same thing for USPSA
going to my first match this sunday and i bought 3 extra mags so i have 5 total now and also bought some of the cheap Glock Mag pouches from Midway for like $10 each...didnt want to have a ton of cash invested in it if i dont like it...which i dont think is gonna happen but i didnt spend a ton on them either.
i also already had a Blackhawk Serpa holster that im going to use
figured if i did really like it and want to get more envolved ill go with something like a Blade Tech or Comp tec holster and Cr Speed belt and holsters
Old June 1, 2011, 11:01 AM   #7
9-ball

Let me know how your match went champ198, I'm interested in hearing how your equipment performed.
Old June 1, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
mellow_c

9-Ball, I understand your concern about having a retention device on a holster. If your doing competition shooting you want to have a quick draw and not be fumbluing with a button or snap or anything else to get the gun out of the holster. Although if you practice alot, I dont think a button or snap will slow you down much. Still, I think you are on the right track.
Remember to be smooth and SAFE. make your hits count and do your best shooting. Dont rush into it planing on going real fast. I cant speak from experience, I havent done any competition... but thats what I've read
Old June 2, 2011, 01:01 AM   #9
ClydeFrog

Blackhawk/Todd Jerrett/CQC.....

I looked over the latest Blackhawk product catalog to confirm that well known target/match shooter Todd Jerrett endorses & uses the CQC type holster.
Jerrett has won many matches & is considered one of the top pistol shooters in the US.
Clyde
Old June 2, 2011, 01:25 PM   #10
champ198

ill let ya know 9-ball....dont know how well of a review ill give since i have never done a USPSA shoot yet but ill let ya know
have used mine at the range just praticing reloads from them and it seemed to work fine. im sure some of the better gear like CR Speed belt and mag holders would work better but for now ill use these
the one thing that i dont care i know of on the mag holsters is the way they attach to the belt. if the loops were on the back of the pouches they would work much better but for $10 each ill live with them for now

Tags
glock 17 , holster , ipsc