The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 20, 2007, 01:56 PM   #1
bullfrog99

3 1/2" chamber on a Mossberg 590?

I know, via experimentation, that a Mossberg 500 barrel will fit and operate on a Mossberg 535 3 1/2" magnum pump, provided the magazine tube is changed with the barrel. I also have heard from these boards that a 590 barrel can be mounted on a Mossberg 500, under a similar proviso, that the magazine tube be swapped as well. From this I deduct that a 590 barrel could be mounted on a 535 Receiver, if again the extended magazine tube is installed, and this option holds some interest to me. The 535 only holds 3 round of 3 1/2" magnum in its magazine. While the need for 3 1/2" magnum shells for defensive purposes is dubious at best, the option of holding up to 3 more shells is intriguing. I would like to know, out of curiosity, what the general opinion is on rechambering a Mossberg 590 barrel, particularly the heavier A1 profile version, for the 3 1/2" chambering, and installing said barrel on a Mossberg 535 Pump(designed for 3 1/2" shells)?
Old February 20, 2007, 02:24 PM   #2
inkie

bullfrog

A lot of card shooters use Mossburgs and do all sorts of mods. Go to www.turkeyshooters.org and ask your questions. The site has a lot of barrel builders too.
Old February 20, 2007, 02:37 PM   #3
Scorch

IIRC, Mossberg used to sell a 20" police shotgun that had a barrel with the lug way out at the end of the barrel, along with a magazine tube that held 6 or 7 rounds. Have you looked for one of those?
Old February 21, 2007, 10:55 PM   #4
Slopemeno

My guess is that the 535's carrier will probably be different (longer) and the ejector will be further back on the inside of the receiver.