The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 10, 2007, 12:09 PM   #1
hodaka

Ruger Mark II Trigger

I bought a heavy barrel Mark II back in the early 80's. I shot it a lot back then and could hit well with it. Rabbits at 25 yds were in the pan. I pulled it out today(after years in the safe)and discovered that the trigger is really bad. I guess it always was but I just didn't know any better. I see a bunch of aftermarket stuff in Brownell's. Is there a recommendation? Especially something to avoid. Thanks.

Forgot to mention that it is a .22 pistol. Not one of the newer rifles.
Old February 10, 2007, 12:52 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

Ruger

Sir:
I'd get some Gun Scrubber and clean that dude out - could have some built-up crud in there.
Be careful altering that trigger!
Harry B.
Old February 10, 2007, 12:59 PM   #3
hodaka

Thanks Harry, but I already did that. I don't use Gunscrubber but the Walmart carburator cleaner ($1/can) does a great job. There is no crud in there. I'm looking at some of the drop-in parts from Volquartsen or others.
Old February 14, 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Texas_XD

The timney or basix triggers are the most liked. Or you can do a bit of DIY and merely POLISH the sear face etc and replace the spring with something lighter. Some have used a ball point pen spring with good results..
Up my way, I got a Ruger 'smith and he did mine for $12.50, completed in like 20 minutes. Went from a roughish 7# to a nice crisp 3#.
Old February 14, 2007, 10:40 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I didn't know Timney made pistol triggers, but the big name in triggers for the Ruger 22 pistol is Volquartsen. They make a complete kit - hammer, sear, trigger and springs - that retails for around $90 and is close to a drop-in. I recommend it rather than trying to work over the original trigger, even though I have done that, too.

Jim
Old February 14, 2007, 10:46 PM   #6
HSMITH

+1 for Jim. My main #1 22 used to be a Ruger Government target model and I used Volquartsen parts in it. Made a HUGE difference. Then I bought a Buckmark and never looked back.
Old February 15, 2007, 03:09 PM   #7
inkie

Also #1 for Jim's suggestion. When I was shooting in Bullseye leagues all the shooters who had Ruger Mark II's converted to Volquartson. Easy to install and they all said it improved thier shooting abilities.
Old February 27, 2007, 10:32 AM   #8
Vestus

There's a lot of info on trigger/seer/sight upgrades on the Mark III forum, with several members that shoot competitively. www.mkiii.org

Volquartsen parts are available from www.rimfiresports.com. I worked my pull to a nice crisp 2# pull with little effort after getting a VQ seer and trigger.