The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 12, 2008, 11:32 PM   #26
armedtotheteeth

I just do everything in large batches in single steps.
fill a coffee can up , or whatever the tumbler will hold. Components are usually my limiting factor, I can afford only so much and it dont take long to load what I can afford on a single stage press. I cant imagine what it would be like just top blow 600 223 in a week. Thatd be cool
Old December 12, 2008, 11:43 PM   #27
crowbeaner

I figure that each cartridge costs me $0.50. That's figuring .20 per bullet,.20 for powder,.05 per primer and a bit for my lunch. Considering that factory ammo with the same bullet costs $1.50 per round, I'm saving 66% if I already have the brass. I can load that case at LEAST 10 times with the load I use, and the brass cost is negligible. This is a carefully assembled and tailored load for my only deer rifle. I'm both a handloader and a reloader; I have a stack of manuals, booklets, brochures, and the web to gather loading data. I consider myself above room temperature in intelligence, and I've been loading ammunition for well over 37 years. A different lot, you ask? Maybe; I like to think I know almost as much as the guy writing the manuals; at least I go through the motions as such. I forgot to add the precision mics, calipers, scales, bits, screwdrivers, and all the additional necessary accoutrements and trappings that accumulate over the years. The wife doesn't even ask about my hobby any more; at least she knows where I am.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:43 PM   #28
cgaengineer

I'm like you...I lack the funds to resupply my components right now so I go slow...when the economy gets back to what it was and I get the 25% back in my paycheck I plan to buy bulk components...if Obama hasnt placed a 500% increase on components by then.
Old December 12, 2008, 11:57 PM   #29
armedtotheteeth

I figured it out the other day
152$ for 1000 55 grain Vmaxs
3 pounds of H335 powder-44$
1000 primers $25

so 221$ Plus shipping just for the components as cheap as I can get them. ( I dont like FMJS.. I hunt alot)
Wow. that gets spensive, I need a few more jobs, and maybe a couple of Degrees or something
Old December 13, 2008, 12:00 AM   #30
erikrichard

Thats a lot of cases to chase. I wouldnt even bother if I shot semi-auto rounds, makes much more sense to reload for a revolver.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:24 AM   #31
cgaengineer

Armed, you buy much too expensive bullets...I buy the cheapest crap I can feed in my AR's and 9mm's.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:28 AM   #32
armedtotheteeth

I know i can get the $70 a thousand stuff, but, it zips through hogs with little effect. I also like knowing my Vmaxs hit one something and they go "POOF" they wont kill anybody 2 miles away unless i shoot them up at an angle. Have you seen what it takes to stop a FMJ?? I havent found any FMjs that will touch the accuracy of vmaxs either. I deer hunt with them. they work great. I got a lot of FMJ but it is just for plinking and Zombies.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:34 AM   #33
cgaengineer

Well I dont hunt so the cheapest crap for plinking and the best for my bench rest. Yes those FMJ's are pretty tough...you should see the steel pistol target I shot with my .308 (Dumb, it said for pistol only).

I actually found some for $35-40 per thousand...waiting on a call back to make sure they still have it.
Old December 13, 2008, 12:40 AM   #34
armedtotheteeth

wow! thats a good price. Probably shoots like hell though. But, hey!! It goes bang!!
Old December 13, 2008, 08:32 AM   #35
gwalchmai

Look at the Dillon 550. It's usually the best cost/benefit ratio for folks loading less than 1000 rounds per week. I load over 400 rounds per hour on mine without breaking a sweat.
Old December 13, 2008, 08:56 AM   #36
Cloudpeak

press comparisons

Lots of stuff on the net comparing different presses. Here's one I googled up: http://www.comrace.ca/cmfiles/dillon...Comparison.pdf

After spending some time searching the net and reading comparisons, I decided on the Hornady LNL AP. After 20,000 plus rounds over the last 2-3 years, I'm happy with my purchase. I'm really happy after two friends damaged their 1911's (one round fired behind a squib, the other a suspected double charge) with rounds loaded on a 550. I like auto indexing. And, I eyeball each case for proper powder level before placing the bullet for seating.

Cloudpeak
Old December 13, 2008, 09:30 AM   #37
armedtotheteeth

ericrichard- try a brass catcher. I got one, and made another. No More chasing brass from Ars. Other guns may cause a problem though. But , Ars are covered.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:04 PM   #38
jhansman

I know that reloading is, for me, cost effective, but the main reasons I do it are:
  1. I don't have to worry about panic ammo shortages
  2. It is about the most relaxing thing I do. Note, I said 'about.'
  3. It gives me one more common interest to talk with my shooting buddies about.
Old December 13, 2008, 10:49 PM   #39
armedtotheteeth

+1 on the relaxing thing. I put on some music, break out the brass and get busy, Wife and kids never touch the door, at least until my dinners ready. I have them trained.
Old December 14, 2008, 12:57 AM   #40
acloco

Handy little calculator....

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

For a 223...
powder - figure $15 per pound (buy in 8lb jugs)
2000 primers at $20/per 1000 (again, buy in bulk)
1000 cases (calculate the price at $10 - because you should be able to load 1000 cases 8 times ...enter 2000 cases and a cost of $20 (the original cost of the brass should be $80/thousand...divide by 8 = $10 per reload)
2000 bullets - buy the 55 gr Varmint Nightmare at Midsouth and don't look back.

Should end up at $7.93 per 50 ($15.86 per 100 rounds - 16 cents per round).
Old December 14, 2008, 08:53 AM   #41
lakebilly

the original cost of the brass should be $80/thousand...

you had me going! i ck'd MSouth it's $387. 1k ct. just bought brass from Natchez (TN) 100ct.($33) set of rcbs dies and 100 brass $72 w/s&h. Better get all the components you can. lb
"Our destruction... From the innattention of the people to the concerns of their government... fail properly to scrutinze their conduct; that in this way they may be made dupes of designing men..." D. Webster