The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old January 12, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
Race Bannon

flobert ammo

Hi all,

I just picked up a small european rifle that is chambered for 6mm Flobert. I've found listings for 6mm Flobert, but everyone is out of stock. Is there any reason that I couldn't just use .22CBs?

Thanks
Old January 12, 2013, 08:03 PM   #2
RamItOne

Careful now thats next on the AWB, think of the damage it can do to field mice. lol. Believe one of the mods has a 4mm flobert, not 100%, its def not typical round, and a $1 a round its pricey... wait .223 is more than that now lol.

Good luck, may do best looking at a forum that has a large C&R crowd.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 12, 2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Race Bannon

Thanks,

It's available on Gunbroker for about 35 bucks for a hundred rounds. It's just a .22 that uses the primer as the propellant. I can't see why they would be different. I know there's a rimfire forum, I'll check with them.
Old January 12, 2013, 09:49 PM   #4
Scorch

Quote:
Is there any reason that I couldn't just use .22CBs?
Do not try it.
Quote:
It's just a .22 that uses the primer as the propellant.
6mm Flobert is not "just a .22 that uses the primer as a propellant". First off, 6mm Flobert is not even 22 caliber, it is 6mm, or .239" in diameter. Firing a CB cap in it may or may not cause problems, but either way, accuracy would be atrocious. Secondly, you can get the 22 CB cap stuck in the chamber and be unable to extract it without resorting to a cleaning rod. And finally, it is just a better idea to use the cartridge the rifle was chambered for.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:43 AM   #5
PzGren

In Germany 4mm is not considered Flobert but there are various sorts of it. As it has been stated here, a 6mm Flobert is nowhere close to a .22.

There is not much demand for this cartridge anymore and prices went up, just like for the .22 short.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:51 AM   #6
Geezerbiker

I had a rifle like that. If it's German, they're rounding up the 5.56mm to 6mm and it takes a .22 BB cap and the chamber is too short for CB shorts. I slugged the bore on mine and it was a perfect .223" so I had the chamber cut longer for .22 Short. It's wickedly accurate and worth having opened up to .22 LR.

At the time, 22 years ago I had a 5 year old duaghter and I didn't want anything more powerful than the .22 short to teach her to shoot. Over the next several years she became an amazingly good shot and still has this rifle.

I planned to use it to teach my granddaughter to shoot but I bought a pink chipmunk for her instead. I really like starting family traditions...

Anyway slug the bore and if the dimensions are right, you could have the chamber opened up for cheaper ammo.

I was talking with a German guy about it and it seems these turn up in estates over there all the time and half the time the family won't pay the transfer tax (about $50 USD) so they turn them in. I was concerned about ruining the collector value but after hearing this, I think I did the right thing.

Tony
Old January 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #7
PzGren

Germans are unfortunately no longer allowed to inherit a gun. They first need to have passed a very extensive test about laws and firearms. Furthermore, they need to prove that they have a legal need, being a member in a gun club for over one year, being a licensed collector, or having a hunters license.

The licensing fees are different within Germany but generally range from €12 to 20, to register a gun and again to have it taken out of the papers. The initial permit to purchase can range from €20 to over €200. A firearms dealer license costs closer to $2,000 and is only issued after a hard test in front of a committee at the chamber of commerce.

Since property is protected and cannot just be seized, the gun would need to be deactivated to be kept. Flobert rifles and single shot rimfire rifles therefore are available in abundance and rarely sell for more than $20

Obama would love to check into it!
Old January 16, 2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Geezerbiker

I didn't realize it had gotten so bad over there. I have to admit my info is probably 20 years out of date. It's a shame they don't pack up all those Flobert rifles and ship them over here where we will love and appreciate them.

Tony
Old January 16, 2013, 10:59 AM   #9
PzGren

The only reason that this is not done, is the U.S. import restrictions are as bad as gun control is over there.

With the new ban looming, it might be worse here at the end of this year than it is in Germany.

At least they have they Autobahn! Freedom comes in many shapes.

Old January 16, 2013, 11:19 AM   #10
PetahW

So does the view from behind cell bars........................ Where I fear the anti's would like to put gun owners, if we don't cave in.