The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #1
jeffshead

Crimson Trace LG-405 - S&W J-Frame

I just received my first set CTC laser grips so I'm not sure what to expect.

Can someone tell me if the image below depicts the typical fit and finish of their laser grips?

I'm not at all impressed with the gap around the button area. I was expecting a tighter fit.

Am I being too critical?
Old November 27, 2012, 01:24 PM   #2
jeffshead

Here's another pic which shows how the switch area is concave and how the mating surface of the grip is flat:

I contacted CT but I'm not thrilled with the answer I received. Basically, they will replace the item but if the replacement comes with the same gap, there's nothing they can do about it. Not at all what I expected to hear from a respected, well-known company.

Hopefully, the right people will get notified and resolve the issue.

What do you folks think? Acceptable or not?
Old November 27, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Bond007

That's pretty striking and I wouldn't be pleased with it either.

I'm considering purchasing the same unit, so would be interested to see if/how this gets resolved.

It's hard to tell from other pictures, but here are two others I found online which also appear to show a gap:
(LG-405 on the left)

You could also ask them to upgrade you to the chestnut version, at least in this stock picture it doesn't seem to show the same fitting.
Old November 28, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4
jeffshead

@Bond007
Thanks for the feedback.

The grips in the pics you posted do not look nearly as bad as the set I got.

Hopefully, they will see they do have a manufacturing issue and resolve it.

The more I think about it, the more resolute I am in thinking that gap is unacceptable for a $250ish item.

You can't see it in the image I posted but you can clearly see daylight through the gap. Think about the gun oil/cleaner and gunk that's going to build up in the switch area. Also, when those "scallops" break or tear off, the edge of the grip around the switch area is going to be more pronounced and uglier.

Last edited by jeffshead; November 28, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old December 16, 2012, 01:07 PM   #5
jeffshead

UPDATE:

They sent a replacement...

CTC said the gap is normal on this grip. A Customer Service Supervisor said he has the same gap on his personal gun. He offered to exchange the LG-405 for a LG-305 but could not guarantee that it would be any better.

I think CTC's Customer Service has been friendly and easy to deal with. However, I must say I am disappointed with CTC, overall, because they think this is an acceptable $250 piece of plastic. I don't feel I got what I paid for.

They really need to set their customer's expectations by including 360 degree images of all of their grips on their website so buyers know what to expect.

More comments:
Crimson Trace LG-405 - S&W J-Frame