The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 23, 2008, 04:32 PM   #1
avalauncher

Non-Weatherby Brass

Since I only have Weatherby's, I've only used Weatherby brass. I have a request to make up some .270 Winchester and .30-06 cartridges for a friend. Who makes some of the better brass that I can get for these loads?
Old September 23, 2008, 04:57 PM   #2
GAR700

Remington and Federal brass seems to work very well for me. I have not used much else but it is cheap and very readily available and I have not had any problems with either.
I will be interested to see what others post.
Old September 23, 2008, 04:59 PM   #3
Sevens

The best brass you can buy would likely be Lapua or Norma brass, but you'll pay through the nose for that stuff.

Your best bet is to simply use the brass your friend should have been collecting all along from the factory loads he's been using. If he has none of that, I would simply buy some Remington, Winchester or Federal component brass. No, it's not the best brass in the world, but it's good brass, and I would like to see how long it lasts in the platforms you load them for before I spent the silly kind of money they ask for Lapua or Norma brass.