The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 24, 2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Abndoc

Unknown Mauser

I was just in my local gunshop and they had an old mauser sporter in 8mm for sale.

The only mark I could find on it is a small crown over a stylized W. There are no other numbers or marks on it. The barrel is slender, about 22 inches in length and equipped with iron sights as well as a J.C. Higgins 4x scope.

The stock is walnut and has a schnaebel forend but, it also has a major repair behind the action.

It has double set triggers. I think that is what you call them.

The action /has a slot for a stripper clip, but I don't know if this was a feature of civilian actions or was strictly a military feature.

So, with these meager clues, doe's anybody have any info for this rifle?

Last edited by Abndoc; August 24, 2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Punctuation counts.
Old August 25, 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Jim Watson

That is a toughie. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry; as well as every Franz, Hans, and Dieter was sporterizing Mausers after two world wars.

If you don't mind some speculation...

I would say it was originally done in Europe based on the double set triggers and schnabel foreend. I imagine it was originally sporterized after WW I, then confiscated in the Occupation and brought home after WW II and the scope added in the USA.

Where the first work was done is a good question. (Crown) W is the German proof mark for a shotgun and would not appear on a rifle. Nor is it used in Belgium or Austria.
Old August 25, 2008, 11:15 AM   #3
Hawg

The stripper clip slot wouldn't be on a civilian gun so it's a sporterized military rifle. The slot should be in a hump. If the rear of the receiver has no hump then whoever did the work ground it off level. You can't use but one screw in the rear scope mount with the hump.
Old August 25, 2008, 04:21 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Hawg,

The presence or absence of the clip slot alone doesn't necessarily distinguish between a Mauser sporter and a military rifle. Most original Oberndorf sporters have clip slots, as do other rifles made from those actions.

Jim
Old August 25, 2008, 04:32 PM   #5
Hawg

OK, never saw a civilian model with it. I'll take your word for it.
Old August 25, 2008, 05:16 PM   #6
Abndoc

I knew this would be a tough one. There is nothing on this rifle that is of any help.

Maybe I'll adopt it and go through it.