The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 21, 2006, 05:12 PM   #26
wolfy692005

police reserve training so far.. as that is all i have gotten.. that and on the farm hunting/
Old August 21, 2006, 09:01 PM   #27
VaughnT

Pax, trust me when I say that not having your story straight, if family witnessed the event, can be far more damaging than the shooting itself.

Even if family wasn't there, they can kill you on the stand as they ramble endlessly about how good a person you are. While I don't agree with a lot of what Gabe says, his suggesting that you get the 'story' straight is dead on.

I've heard the same basic thing in all of my training courses, including the state-required courses. Basically, keep you mouth shut. Don't "help" the investigating officer. Don't offer any more information than you have to. Be polite, but be very firm. Request your attorney to be present before any more questioning.

Remember, the cops on the scene are investigating a homocide, they are not your friends (not to say you should view them as enemies or evil). You will most likely feel the need to say way too much to try and bring them around to your side, to make them see what happened from your POV. This is bad. While you might have been entirely justified in what you did, let your legal counsel make the decision regarding what you say and how you say it. You CANNOT take back your words, and you'd better believe they are being recorded.

Shoot to stop the threat. Nobody can know how many rounds that will take, or how many of your rounds fired actually hit the antagonist. Shooting the bad guy "to the ground" is, imo, a simple way of getting the fighting mindset into your mind. It kinda makes you think about the seriousness of what you're training for. It also serves to break that "2+1" mindset that a lot of people have from the old days. "To the ground" might require one shot or ten, you just don't know and should be prepped for whatever comes.

Just my thoughts. Could be wrong.
Old August 21, 2006, 09:33 PM   #28
Sweatnbullets

Top five....in order

(1) Frontsight Four Night Tactical Shotgun. Only two very advanced students and a great instructor named Mike Havas. We blew through the curriculum in no time. Mike did a great job filling in the rest of the course and tailoring the drills to the skill level of his students.

(2) Suarez Interactive Gunfighting (twice.) FOF is a must have in your training program

(3) Sightless in Tucson with 7677, Matt Temkin, and Brownie. Not "the most well run", but by far the best information and skills I have ever received

(4) Frontsight Four Night Defensive Handgun (four times). Tactics, tactics, and more tactics!

(5) Suarez Close Range Gunfighting. Just a solid course with great common sense.
Old August 29, 2006, 03:46 PM   #29
VirgilCaine

The US Army MP School
Berlin Police PSD/SRT School
British MP/ Interpol Sky Marshall School
The US Army Advanced Marksmanship School

BUT, the best was the few days I spent in Panama of December 1989 and a couple of tense hours hung up in a bunker complex near Khafji in Feb 1991.

Nothing like the real deal to keep you focused. Some of that seems like 10 minutes ago.