The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2005, 02:33 PM   #1
pdt1793db

Lyman Great Plains Rifle

I was thinking about getting one in .50 cal or .54 cal left hand in flintlock just wondering what you guys thought about it and some loads that are working well for you with it.
Old November 15, 2005, 05:33 PM   #2
Poodleshooter

I have a RH in .50. I really like it. I don't find the fit or finish to be as nice as the typical T/C offering, however it is far superior to the CVA and Traditions offerings.
The interchangeability of components and the array of available barrels also makes it a nice gun to work with and customize.
My only complaint is that the false breech design seems to clog rather easily in my shooting sessions,ending my day in hangfires unless I completely clean the barrel. This may be a lube choice issue on my part however....
It's a very accurate rifle in my experience.
I typically use 70gr of FFg Goex, with a .490 roundball and homemade patches
Old November 18, 2005, 12:04 AM   #3
stevelyn

I have a lefty caplock GPR in .54 caliber. My accuracy load turns out to be 80 grains of Hodgdon 777, a .530 round ball with a pillow ticking patch.

I also replaced the nipple with a Redhot and spark it off with CCI #11 Magnum caps.

I think the GPR is probably the highest quality production rifle you'll find without going the custom route.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old November 18, 2005, 07:26 PM   #4
John/OR

Hey. Used to have one in .54 caplock. Stevelyn is right, very high quality and a accurate smoke pole for sure. Pedersoli rifles are, in my experience, a high quality item also. Try to get your hands on a Lyman or one of the Pedersoli products and see how it fits....too bad, most of 'em will fit and you WILL FOR SURE end up with more than one.
Good huntin'
John in Oregon
Old November 18, 2005, 07:39 PM   #5
John/OR

Hey. I might add the only reason I let my LGPR go was that I began reenacting the French and Indian War era and a half-stock plains rifle just didn't fit in. It was the most accurate front stuffer I ever had...and I have had a bunch of 'em.
Good luck with your choice.
John in Oregon
Old November 18, 2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Long Hunter

I have a left hand LGP .50 cal. flintlock rifle. They are pretty high quality guns. The most accurate load I have found for mine is 90 Gr. 2F and a .495 ball with a .020 patch. After putting a Lyman aperture rear sight on it (ugly piece of iron, but my eyes aren't what they once were), I once shot 5 shots from sandbags at 50 yards with the holes touching with that load. Using a thinner patch or more or less powder the group opens up. It ain't fun to load though. The ball goes down pretty hard and I have to run a spit patch followed by a dry patch down the bore between loadings. Get one. You'll like it.
Old November 26, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
joet47

I have a Great Plains Caplock in .50 Caliber. Mine is more accurate than TC's and CVA's that I've had in the past and much more reliable than the CVA. In my opinion, it'd be hard to get a better gun for the price. Mine has taken several deer and groundhogs, does a good job.