The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 13, 2004, 08:48 PM   #1
David Blinder

Tactical First Aid with Insights Training in Atlanta

Tactical First Aid April 23-24, 2005, (8am-6pm) tuition $300 per person

I'm pleased to announce that I've been able to schedule a new course that I suspect might interest some of you. Tactical First Aid will focus on the treatment of wounds common to interpersonal conflict. It will be taught by Mike Shertz, M.D. who would be my #1 choice of anybody in the country if I needed medical attention in a trauma related mergency situation. See his biography below for more information.

This course is designed to give you the knowledge and skill necessary to save your life or the life of a loved one who may be injured during a violent attack. You will learn: The nature (kinematics) and effects (pathophysiology) of human VS human trauma. To quickly and accurately determine the relative seriousness of the injury and how that will affect your tactical treatment plan. The priorities of “Care under Fire.” How and why “Care under Fire” differs from any other medical emergency. How to extract a person from a tactically unsecured location. Basic airway and ventilation assessment and management. Assessment and management of bleeding and shock. Assessment and management of penetrating and blunt trauma; and how to prepare a pocket first aid kit that will dramatically increase your treatment capabilities.

About the Instructor:

Mike Shertz M.D. is an active, board certified emergency medicine physician practicing in one of the busiest emergency departments in Oregon. His tactical experience was gained as a former US Army Special Forces Medic. He is a Special Deputy for the Washington County, Oregon Tactical Negotiations Team (S.W.A.T.) where he is the medical director as well as being actively involved in tactical operations. Mike serves as the medical director for a large fire department in Oregon. He is an Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor, a Federal NBC Disaster Preparedness Instructor, and has attended the Counter Narcotics Tactical Operations Medical Support Course.

Mike is a member of the International Wound Ballistics Association, the American Society of Law Enforcement Trainers, and the National Tactical Officers Association. He is an active tactical competitor and has placed in the top five on three occasions at the National Tactical Invitational. He is actively involved in Firearms and Tactical training and is an instructor in Tactical Handgun, Patrol Rifle, Shotgun, Unarmed Self-Defense, and Defensive Knife.

A 50% deposit is required to reserve space. You may register with PDT at http://www.personaldefensetraining.c...a33e5dbf9d8404

or with Insights at www.insightstraining.com or 425-827-2552

Venue is still being finalized but it will be convenient to the Atlanta metro area.

Thank you!

Thanks and let me know if you have interest or questions.

David Blinder
[email protected]
www.personaldefensetraining.com
877-442-8006 toll free