The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2011, 02:04 PM   #1
jambie

Missouri Bullets ONLY .45 Colt Loads

Hello all,
New to loading lead bullets, and the .45 Colt cartridge in general. After reading many glowing reports about Missouri Bullet Co., I'd like to get some loading data for their bullets only, loaded to around 800 fps, for plinking and informal paper punching. My primary goal is to keep barrel leading to a minimum, so...what grain, what hardness, what velocity, how much leading as a result?

I'll be shooting both a USFA SAA 7-1/2" and a S&W Model 25-13 Mountain Gun 4". I already have a supply of Win 231 and Universal Clays powder, so loads using those would be a bonus. I also have the latest Speer, Hornady, and Lyman loading manuals, so if there any loads in those that you've used with Missouri bullets, I'd like to hear about those, too. I'll be using Redding carbide dies and a Lee factory crimp die in a Lee classic cast turret press.

Let's see, I think that about covers it...
Cheers,
Tom

Last edited by jambie; February 8, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
Old February 8, 2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Doodlebugger45

For those velocities, definitely get the 12 BHN bullets. They will work better than the 18 BHN. I prefer the 250 gr bullet. For some reason it gives better accuracy than the 200 gr. You use load data for any cast bullet, it doesn't have to be only for Missouri Bullet. Go to the Hodgdon site:

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

You will see that Hodgdon recommends a range of 5.8 - 7.1 gr of 231 for the 250 gr cast bullets and a range of 6.5 - 7.8 gr of Universal for the 250 gr bullets. Personally, I load toward the upper end of those ranges. It seems to cut down onn the amount of soot and unburnt powder by doing so.

If you ever stumble across a jar of Vihta Vuori N330 powder, you should try that. It's the cleanest burner I have tried with cast .45 Colt loads.
Old February 8, 2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Shoney

Email M.B and ask them.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 8, 2011, 05:19 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

You'll have to figure the velocity of the rounds, because I do not have a chronograph.

I just loaded my favorite Missouri Bullet load of of 180 grain RNFP (Cowboy #8) over 5.6 grains of IMR Hi-Skor 700-X. Accuracy for me is great and leading is non-existent to very minimal.

Like Doodlebugger45 says, just about any cast bullet data available on the powder manufacturers website will work for you.
Old February 8, 2011, 05:24 PM   #5
jambie

What kind of revolver are you shooting that 180 gr. load from? I've heard that, for the SAA, 250 gr. loads are best for shooting to point-of-aim. How's your accuracy?

Regards,
Tom
Old February 8, 2011, 08:26 PM   #6
Uncle Buck

I am shooting from a Ruger Vaquero and a Beretta Stampede. Accuracy for me is hitting a six inch target at 30 to 40 feet, so I am happy with the load.

I have some heavier bullets loaded up, but right now am not in the position to pull out the recipes. I also like the 255 grain semi-wad cutters from Missouri Bullet Co.