The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 28, 2008, 01:09 PM   #1
bclark1

M14 / M1A Receiver Brand and how it affects build?

Well I am just gearing up for all my little projects, and was considering adding a semi M14 clone to the mix. However, I was curious about how receiver quality factors in.

LRBs are too pricey at this point, and I don't see any of the Chinese clones on the market as receiver-only, so it's probably Armscorp or Fulton. If I went with one of these, unlugged, as a build for a standard M14 clone type rifle, would their quality be sufficient to later upgrade the rifle if I sought to accurize it? Are there any suggestions someone who's been through this would make?
Old December 28, 2008, 04:48 PM   #2
SR420

LRB wants about $1K for a stripped receiver, but I don't think they are currently selling
complete rifles at this time. Also, I don't think Fulton has any receivers to build on. PM sent.
Old December 28, 2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Jason_G

An LRB would my first choice, with a Polytech running a very close second. If neither of these is available to you, then a SAI receiver can be had from Champion's Choice (I believe that's the name of it), but if you're going to build on a SAI receiver you may as well just buy an M1A. Their parts are rock solid, with the one exception being the extractor which can be hit or miss. If you want an all USGI rifle (save receiver), then it might just be worth it to save up for an LRB.

Jason
Old December 28, 2008, 05:58 PM   #4
30Cal

If it's going to be bedded, then the finish of the metal below the wood matters a little for longevity. If the finish is rough, it'll get beat up faster when you need to pull the action for occasional cleaning.

Other than that, as long as it's dimensionally correct, one should work as well as the next.

Tags
m-14 , m14 , m1a , receiver , stripped