The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 20, 2015, 09:19 PM   #1
AL45

What is required in your state?

My wife and I qualified for our conceal carry today and the shooting requirement was 15 rounds from 3 yards and 10 rounds from 7 yards. You had to place 17 out of 25 rounds in a 12" wide by 18" tall rectangle. We qualified with a .45 Colt revolver and .45 ACP semi-auto which means we can carry that caliber and everything smaller. The shooting is not timed. Just curious what your state requires?
Old September 20, 2015, 09:34 PM   #2
9x18_Walther

My state no longer requires obtaining a permit to carried concealed. The permit is useful for not requiring a NCIC check on a 4473, carrying in other states, and carrying in establishments that serve alcohol.

My state basically will issue a permit if you take virtually any firearms safety class from the NRA, a private instructor, etc.

Most people go through an actual CCW class that handles the fingerprinting and the application and usually requires a live-fire portion to pass.

I believe it was 5 shots at 5 yards and 5 shots at 10 yards. 70% must strike a silhouette target.

You can carry anything from a .22 LR derringer to a .50 AE Desert Eagle.
Old September 20, 2015, 09:41 PM   #3
Mike38

I shot my Illinois CCL qualification about a month ago. You have to shoot 10 rounds at 5 yards, 10 rounds at 7 yards and 10 rounds at 10 yards, all on one target. 21 of 30 rounds must be in the 7 ring or better, or a minimum score of 147. Perfect score would be 300-30x. I shot a 300-27x. In Illinois you can shoot any handgun, any caliber to qualify. You do not have to qualify with or register the handgun you intend to carry. You can qualify with a .22LR and carry a .44 Mag if that's what you choose. I qualified with a Ruger 22/45 and plan to carry a S&W J-frame revolver in .38 Special.
Old September 20, 2015, 09:58 PM   #4
SC4006

Be 18 and not a felon.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.
Old September 20, 2015, 10:47 PM   #5
rickyrick

pay reasonable fee, not a felon, over 21 and wait two weeks for the mail in Washington state.

Texas.... at the time i did mine a few years ago... jump through hoops and pay exorbitant state fees, Pay large amount for the class. fire 50 rounds at an easy target of different ranges. wait an excessively long time.
Old September 20, 2015, 11:28 PM   #6
RodTheWrench

Utah - CCW class has no live-fire requirement. Most instructors will do your fingerprints and photos with the class fee. I hear it takes a couple months to get your permit in the mail these days.
Old September 20, 2015, 11:34 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Proof of firearms familiarity.

Hunter's education.
Military service.
LEO experience.
Security guard experience.
And more...

Or, in some places, just checking the box that says "prior military" ...because they don't check. (There's still a basic background check, but they don't actually check up on the familiarity/training claims.)
Old September 20, 2015, 11:38 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The 8-hour NRA Basic Pistol Class, with the standard NRA live fire course. As presently constituted, that's somewhere on the order of 60 to 75 rounds for the typical student.
Old September 21, 2015, 03:47 AM   #9
JimmyR

Indiana requires an application , fingerprinting, and a fee.

No required class, and license is either good for 4 years or a lifetime .
Originally Posted by 45Gunner View Post
JimmyR nailed it.
Old September 21, 2015, 06:31 AM   #10
Salmoneye

Be 16, and not otherwise barred...
Old September 21, 2015, 06:58 AM   #11
CajunBass

Show some kind of "training" with firearms...NRA safety course, hunter safety course, served in the military, online course...I'm not even sure what else.

Fill out application. Pay $50.00 bucks. I'm not sure if you still have to get fingerprinted or not. I know you don't after the first time cause I haven't done it since.

Entirely too restrictive IMHO. We need to get rid of the permit at all. That $50.00 is no different than the poll tax was. A fee to exercise a right.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 21, 2015, 08:09 AM   #12
2ndsojourn

New Jersey - F.G.I.
For Get It.
Old September 21, 2015, 08:20 AM   #13
j3ffr0

You must successfully complete a gun safety course and not be a felon in Virginia. Easy.
Old September 21, 2015, 09:28 AM   #14
osbornk

Quote:
You must successfully complete a gun safety course and not be a felon in Virginia. Easy.
I took the course online in about 10 minutes for $19.95. Military veterans and police don't even have to do that. Just fill out the form and pay.
Old September 21, 2015, 09:53 AM   #15
NINEX19

Washington state resident - 21 y/o, pass background check, pay $36.00 fee. Issuing authority (city, county) has up to 30 days to mail to applicant. Good for 5 years.
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070
Old September 21, 2015, 10:08 AM   #16
KEYBEAR

Just a heads up I have an Indiana Life Time license and got it years ago .
The only problem was/is it was a thin paper license you cut out and carry .

If you have a cheap paper license you now can get a plastic license the size of a credit card much nicer .
Old September 21, 2015, 10:52 AM   #17
kilimanjaro

Interesting that the requirement for a license to carry for self-defense involves a 25 round shoot. Seems to be far in excess of the normal requirements for a self-defense event. Are many people being denied a permit due to inability to meet the requirement, such as elderly folks that may be good for 6 rounds but not 25?
Old September 21, 2015, 01:28 PM   #18
rickyrick

I love WA's process. The clark co SO was friendly and helpful too
Old September 21, 2015, 02:28 PM   #19
FITASC

Quote:
Just curious what your state requires?
A pulse and the money. You have to take a class, but it is a joke. You do have to fire, only to prove you know which way to point the gun. The course "covers" the law. Some instructors do go into detail, most do not.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 21, 2015, 03:40 PM   #20
jmr40

In Georgia you go to courthouse, fill out forms and be fingerprinted, pay fee, and get permit in the mail after background check. Usually a couple of weeks.
Old September 21, 2015, 06:33 PM   #21
WV_gunner

I still don't have mine but to get a conceal carry permit you have to have proof you took some kind of pistol class, fill the form out, and pay whatever the fee is. And every so many years you have to pay the fee again. Permits were almost not required, but the law was vetoed. Can't have anything done till next year if they want to try again. It's all about the money. Most people take NRA classes which the instructors are just regular people that took a class and paying a fee. The NRA looses out a big chunk of money if that law went into place. The big loss would be the sherrif departments. I think the fee to have ccw permit is $90, I can't remember. Every so many years, I think 3 or 5 maybe, you have to pay again. Nobody wants to loose out on that money. They said it was to protect people is why it was vetoed, it was to keep money in everyone's pockets.
Old September 21, 2015, 09:06 PM   #22
Dragonflydf

Be of legal age to own a firearm, not be a prohibited possessor, that is about all there is,
Welcome to AZ, where we know what freedom is like.
Old September 21, 2015, 10:13 PM   #23
O4L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonflydf View Post
Be of legal age to own a firearm, not be a prohibited possessor, that is about all there is,
Welcome to AZ, where we know what freedom is like.
I have an AZ non-resident license.
Old September 22, 2015, 08:28 AM   #24
jasmith85

Quote:
A pulse and the money. You have to take a class, but it is a joke. You do have to fire, only to prove you know which way to point the gun. The course "covers" the law. Some instructors do go into detail, most do not.
This sounds about like Tennessee when I took the course around 5 years ago. I am not sure what they were, but I have heard that there have been some changes since then though. Course and state fees combined to around $180 which this thread has made me realize is high compared to a lot of states. It was nearly impossible to fail the course though. The instructor that I had told the answers at the end of the test section and let people correct anything that they got incorrect. We then went to the shooting portion which was 50 rounds at varying distances. The girl in the lane beside me actually hit my target once yet still passed. I talked to the instructor later and he said that the only person he ever failed was a guy that shot himself in the leg.
Old September 22, 2015, 12:29 PM   #25
dakota.potts

Wouldn't know. Both states I've lived in have decided that people my age (18-20) don't have the privilege to carry a firearm - let alone the right, since all form of carry are licensed.