The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 29, 2012, 01:13 AM   #1
ZVP

Dillon/Mernicle catalog ad!

I just picked up a new Dillon catalog and lo and behold Mernicle is running an ad suggesting carrying your CAS revolver as your daily carry rig. It says what we've all been saying,' Carry what your familliar with"!
I dunno about some folks but my Vaquero just "feels" right to me! I can't afford to shoot CAS but I sure shoot single actions the most and they feel natural to me!
It's kinda hard to completelly conceal a big S/A but carried in a high rise, strong side hip holster, you can pratically carry the revolver concealed especally under a light windbreaker or sweatshirt. Beyond that the big revolver will show. It's just a matter of sheer size.
Today I decided to buck my own trend and bought a little Chief's special for discreet carry The whole learning to shoot and gun handling scenero will have to be re-learned and I will be loosing some power but it's all a trade-off for safety's sake in todays crazy society.
I still feel right at home with the Vaquero though. Even stoked with high end .357's, the vaquero is very controlable and comfortable to shoot.
Previouslly for discreet carry I toted either a Cobra .38 Special Derringer (very limited with just 2 shots and a slow reload) or a Berreta Model 21 .22 LR. (7 shots) though low powered, it is a very reliable fast multi shot, last ditch type weapon, designed to save your life when even running away is out of the question. Same for the Cobra Derringer.
Granted 6 high end .38 specials or 6 .evcen hotter .357's is best but sometimes you ave to go out with less.
Back to t$e origonal point of this post, the rather expensive Mernickle holsters (479 for the plain model) is a bit steep but the holsters are very nicely made from top quality materials! For a modern high-rise, these holsters are really fine!
I like their idea andin this day of trainers suggesting spraying lead, it's good to read an ad that promotes shooting well with a familar revolver.
Chances are that by current statistics,all will be over without needing to reload your six shooter.
Lets all hope violence can be avoided but first of all try and avoid dangerous situations!
ZVP
Old July 4, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
arcticap

I recently checked out a stainless high polished new Vaquaro with a white Bisely grip in .357 at a local gun shop. What a nice fitting gun it is. I held off buying it but I can't say for how long. Because of its superb fit to my hand it's definitely one of my Ruger "dream machines"!