The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 26, 2002, 04:11 AM   #26
BamBam-31

Just my two cents:

While playing with my Benchmade AFCK, I managed to slice my finger with the serrated section. Jagged cut, bled profusely for half an hour despite pressure and elevation. Nasty.

I'd hate to be actually wounded in a knife fight by any kind of blade, but if given a choice, I'd rather be cut with a straight edge.

As mentioned earlier, the combo blade is a compromise. Some of us don't live by HK's motto. I'm sure it'll do what I'll need it to do should the need arise.
Old September 26, 2002, 12:20 PM   #27
M1911

I only carry one knife, and use it for general duty. I used to carry a sypderco delica with a full serated edge. I found that it cut very easily and stayed sharp much longer. It wasn't good at cutting paper -- it would mostly tear rather than give a nice cut. Unfortunately, once dull, it was very hard sharpen.

These days I carry a delica with a plain edge. It doesn't stay sharp as long, but it's quite easy to sharpen.

M1911
Old September 26, 2002, 12:31 PM   #28
pbarrick

Actually, serrated wounds tend to close on their own because of the way the serrations tear through flesh. A plain-edge actually leaves a wound that doesn't close as well (on it's own, that is).

I tend to carry a defensive blade and save it for that purpose only. I use a secondary blade for general cutting tasks.
Cutting Edge Training Across the U.S.A.
http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com
Toll Free 1.877.636.4677