The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 20, 2002, 01:14 AM   #1
HKguy9

CA: Balisong importation...is this legal?

Is it legal to go out of state, buy a bali-song, put it in a locked container (I have an SUV and don't have a 'trunk' as defined by law) when I transport it back over the state line?

I have no intention on carrying it, just to sit at home, look pretty, and take pictures of.

I asked 5 or 6 LEOs and none could find anything that was illegal about it, but recommended I lock it up on the way home in case I get stopped for whatever reason.
Old August 20, 2002, 09:32 AM   #2
kungfool

Skunk......It's illegal to sell bali-song knives in cali?....That's weird......Here in Illinois they sell them at every towns homecoming carnivals. You can order them through numerous martial arts outlets and have them mailed to you. If you are concerned about transporting them that may be best. If you do transport them definetly keep them packed in your luggage or the trunk of your car.

Here it is not illegal to transport them by hand, in a box. (Such as if a person was to purchase one at a local carnival and walk home with it)

It's absurd that they are illegal at all. With a little practice a person can open a buck knife about as quickly as a switchblade opens.
Old August 20, 2002, 10:31 AM   #3
LASur5r

Ok to own;not ok to use

Skunkabilly,
You're in luck. I just talked to an LAPD detective. The direct word is that like a switchblade, the policy is that it is okay for you to own one, but just don't use it and/or have it on your possession when a police officer pulls you over for questioning and he /she gets suspicious enough to search your person. Should that ever happen, then it could be held against you for possession of an illegal weapon.
Depends on the officer.
Old August 20, 2002, 12:32 PM   #4
Chuck Dye

Somewhere, buried in one of the family garages, is a set of six balisong. Decent stainless steel, quality construction, nice rosewood scales, they are practical, even elegant, picnic basket steak knives. Except in California, where possession is a felony. Interestingly, the law dates from the nineteenth century when flick knives, gravity knives, switchblades and such were lumped together with blackjacks, brass knuckles, and a variety of oriental martial arts gadgets such as shuriken as "thugs" weapons. Unlawful carry of a firearm, a "gentleman's" weapon, at least on the first offense, is a misdemeanor, "thugs" weapons start as felonies. So said the supervisor who lectured the deputy who threatened to bust my parents and their friends. It was a clear cut effort to "protect and serve", too: that gang of superannuated retired Navy officers and their wifes were an obvious threat to the public order.
Old August 20, 2002, 11:17 PM   #5
Kermit

Skunk - bali-song are a no-no in CA All mine stay home, locked away in places I've forgotten (yes, I've misplaced them )
Old August 22, 2002, 11:11 PM   #6
Chuck Dye

More than you ever wanted to know...

Check out

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/wa...ction=retrieve

Man, was that section a lot shorter when I last read it fifteen years ago!