The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 31, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
Wrothgar

Reply from Sen. Michael Bennet

Quote:
Your Wrothgarness: (K, I added that part)

Thank you for contacting me regarding some of the different gun proposals that have been introduced during the 113th Congress, including S.2 introduced by Senator Harry Reid, S.150 introduced by Senator Diane Feinstein, and the proposal put forth by President Obama. I appreciate hearing from you.

The numerous tragedies that our nation has had to face over the past year have been staggering. My own family, like all Americans, has been repeatedly shocked and deeply saddened by the violence we have witnessed, and my heart continues to be with the victims and their families. As Coloradans, we know how this type of tragedy can shake a community to its core and in the aftermath of these abhorrent acts our priority should be on supporting the survivors and families, and healing our communities.

We must have a real discussion in this country about finding ways to stop these senseless shootings. I believe a combination of improved access to mental health services, restrictions on certain weapons intended for warfare, and elimination of the gun show loophole are sensible steps that can protect our communities and particularly, our children. In Colorado, we support the right to bear arms and the ability of people to recreate, hunt, and protect their homes, and we want to keep the wrong weapons out the hands of the wrong people. I believe we can have a civil discussion that addresses these issues and as the recommendations by the President's task force are considered in Congress, we will ensure that Colorado's voices are heard.

In addition to the bills referenced above, there are a number of different legislative proposals on gun policy currently before Congress. I am evaluating all of the different bills, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as we work on this issue in the Senate. Let us all continue to keep the communities affected by these tragic acts in our thoughts and prayers.

I value the input of fellow Coloradans in considering the wide variety of important issues and legislative initiatives that come before the Senate. I hope you will continue to inform me of your thoughts and concerns.

For more information about my priorities as a U.S. Senator, I invite you to visit my website at http://bennet.senate.gov/. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,
Michael F Bennet
He's up for re-election in 2014.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:47 AM   #2
2ndsojourn

Uh oh. Another misinformed authority who thinks the 2A is for hunting. Oh, and the gun show loophole too.

But it's for the children so it's OK.
Old January 31, 2013, 11:59 AM   #3
budoboy

I received the same boilerplate reply from him. I was tempted to reply back and let him know that the NFA basically took care of the "restrictions on certain weapons intended for warfare" in 1934. No country's army would go into war using semiautomatic rifles as their main battle rifles.

I haven't decided if I am going to send him a reply seeing as it appears that his mind is made up and I have already voiced my opinion on the matter.
Old January 31, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Ronbert

deleted - irrelevent to this forum
Old January 31, 2013, 06:37 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndsojourn
Uh oh. Another misinformed authority who thinks the 2A is for hunting. Oh, and the gun show loophole too.

But it's for the children so it's OK.
And that AR-15s are weapons of war. Another one who doesn't know the difference between an AR-15 and an M16.