The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 12, 2012, 12:18 PM   #1
rajbcpa

Slight bulge in 380 acp cases

...this is ocurring after the RCBS expansion die (Station #2) is used on the case.... the bulge is very slight but visible but the completed cases fit the chamber OK (plup test passed). The expansion die in Station #2 is set to do a very slight flair, and at this setting, the lead is a tad hard to insert at Station #4 (seating and crimping)

Is this anything to worry about or should I try to re-adjust the expansion die? If I take any more expansion away, I will have trouble seating the lead...???

I'm new at small case loading which I now realize is sometimes tricky.....
Old September 12, 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
tkglazie

A small bulge is perfectly fine as long as the cartridges continue to chamber properly for you. You might want to check that you are not over-crimping. You just want to remove the bellmouth.
Old September 12, 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
rajbcpa

thx...

I will check for over-crimping but I'm sure the case gets bulged after I run it through the expansion die at Station #2.... and not after the lead is seated and crimped....

I checked this is morning by running a new empty case through only Station #4 with the lead (empty/unprimed/uncharged) case.
Old September 12, 2012, 02:26 PM   #4
tkglazie

interesting. you already mentioned that you are only slightly bellmouthing the cases so it seems like you are doing everything right. If the rounds continue to pass the plunk test and end up working well for you at the range you should be good to go.

happy shooting