The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 29, 2011, 10:13 PM   #1
gjayf77

What do you prefer?

Hello all im new to this forum, I am going to be purchasing a hand gun soon and want a compact 9mm for concealment. I have been looking at a few different brands like the Glock 26 , Ruger lc9, and the kahr. anyways what do yall recommend? I guess its all about preference but right now i'm leaning more towards the Glock 26. input is welcome... thanks!
Old March 29, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2
BarryLee

Yes, it really is a personal choice. The Glock is one of the most popular manufacturers around, but it is really a Love/hate kind of thing with most folks. Although I have not seen them in person I believe both Sig Sauer and Kimber are coming out with new compact 9mm models.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old March 29, 2011, 10:55 PM   #3
Willie Lowman

For the haters

Go with the Glock.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:16 AM   #4
45Gunner

Lot of variables but the biggest one is your budget. To me, the most important thing about a carry gun is reliability. While Glock certainly fills that bill, H & K makes an outstanding gun. Is your gun going to double as a range gun and also serve as a Home Defense weapon? Is a 9mm what you really want? Ask yourself all the important questions, do your research, then ask pertinent questions and one day you will discover exactly what you are looking for.
NRA Life Member
Old March 30, 2011, 12:25 AM   #5
Mosin44az

How do you plan to carry concealed? It sounds like you're not planning on pocket carry. If you were, a Kahr PM 9 or CM9 (the upcoming cheaper version of the PM9) would be substantially easier to carry than the Glock 26 or the LC9.

If you are thinking of IWB carry, the Kahr CW 9 would be slimmer than the chunky Glock 26, and would be much easier to shoot than the new Ruger, which seems to be based on the unpleasant-to-shoot Kel-tec PF 9.

For reliability, I would rank the Glock first, with both the Kahr and Ruger likely being OK. The Glock and any of the Kahrs would be easy and comfortable to shoot quickly, with good triggers. Dont' know about the Ruger trigger, and it doesn't sound like they've done anything to cut the recoil on the painful Kel-tec design.

If you are OK with something the size of the Glock, the Ruger SR9c is getting good reviews here, and wouldn't have the possible trigger or recoil issues of the LC9.

Last edited by Mosin44az; March 30, 2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old March 30, 2011, 12:58 AM   #6
MrDontPlay

Those are all reputable brands, so decide if you want maximum concealablity( less capacity) or more shootablity and capacity and less concealablity. Personally I like rugers for reliability and value.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:19 AM   #7
warpig602

For a primary CCW weapon, Sig 239, HK P2000SK, Sig 228.........Glock 26 in that order. There is more to CCW than finding the smallest gun possible.
Old March 30, 2011, 08:29 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I would also ask how much experience you have with handguns. Is this your first? Do you have experience with other guns?
Old March 30, 2011, 08:45 AM   #9
Hog Hunter

Glocks are the most basic pistols on the planet and one of the most reliable. go with the glock. It might be ugly but it will grow on you!!
Old March 30, 2011, 04:19 PM   #10
TailGator

I carry a Glock 26 IWB daily, but it is not much of a pocket gun to me. I chose it because it hit the balance that I wanted between capacity and concealability. You are going to have to choose your balancing point.

Historically, there has been a trend to go to semis over revolvers due to capacity, followed by a trend to reduce the size of semis until they have little if any advantage in capacity over revolvers. Kind of odd, methinks.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:34 PM   #11
GatorFlash1

Lots of good ones, I like the HK USP 45 compact model.

http://www.nazarian.no/images/wep/64_usp.pdf

http://policelink.monster.com/produc.../232-hk-usp-45

Has recoil reduction system and many other nice features.
Old March 30, 2011, 04:45 PM   #12
gjayf77

I plan to conceal this gun and carry it daily.. I have been shooting Rifles and pistols all my life and have some experience. I really like the glock 26 my father has one and he is happy with it. so to the people that have and carry a glock 26 daily how do you like it? does it conceal well? I have been doing research and it seems that people like the way it conceals. I will be carrying it in my waist with a holster most likely.
Old March 30, 2011, 05:16 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Gluck 26 if you're a believer.

Kel-Tec P-11 if you have less money but still need reliability and you're willing to workout to increase the muscles on your trigger finger.

Both can accept higher capacity mags.
Old March 30, 2011, 05:40 PM   #14
vyse.04

I have a Kahr K9 and I highly recommend them. They are large enough to get a good grip on, but still very slim and have an amazing trigger. The PM9 is nice as well, I just prefer metal frames and the larger grip. You can't go wrong with a Glock either if you like the way it feels/shoots. It holds more rounds than the Kahrs, but it is thicker too.
Old March 30, 2011, 05:44 PM   #15
proxpilot

i carry a Kahr CW9 i think it's about the perfect size IWB carry. i put a Houge handall Jr. grip sleeve on it and it fits my hand perfect too. it feels like i have a cell phone on my side not a gun.
Old March 30, 2011, 06:10 PM   #16
AustinTX

I'd strongly suggest taking a look at a Walther PPS.
Old March 30, 2011, 07:00 PM   #17
BigJimP

You need to shoot a variety of guns -- and see what fits your hands the best, the width you like, the grip angle, the sights -- and probably most importantly the triggers ( how they break, and how they reset ) ....

going just by brand that someone else picks --isn't your best informed option.

A buddy and I went thru this a few months ago - we went to my local range - and we put 12 - 25 rds thru every rental 9mm in the rental case ....Glocks, Berette, XD, H&K, Sigs, 1911's .... and when it was all said and done, the gun he like the best was the Sig 239. Personally, I would pick a 1911 out of the mix ...but I like the Sig 239 as well....and I didn't really influence him / just challenged him to differentiate the guns, triggers, sights, etc ...
Old March 30, 2011, 07:02 PM   #18
THORN74

Kahr K series (k9 or k40) ... im not a fan of tactical tupperware :P
Springfield Armory Inc. M1A Scout 7.62X51mm NATO -- Kar 98AZ (1917 Erfurt) 8mm Mauser -- Marlin Model 60 Glenfield .22LR -- Marlin 795 .22LR -- Marlin 915y .22LR -- AR15 5.56x45mm NATO -- Springfield Armory M1 Garand 30-06
Old April 3, 2011, 08:16 AM   #19
dean1818

Just bought a K9 from Kahr on Friday

.9 inch width

Great trigger

Good for the range as well as IWB CCW

(Also look at the CW9)

I dont know how some of the folks IWB CCW the bigger guns

Go Kahr....Quality gun, made in America
Old April 3, 2011, 09:01 AM   #20
BerettaBuckeye

Kahr CW9,P9,PM9,K9,MK9 or CM9. All good.

Glocks are a great choice if you want to get shot by your own jacket or holster
- Jeff Cooper
Old April 3, 2011, 09:27 AM   #21
Pyzon

Quote:
I guess its all about preference but right now i'm leaning more towards the Glock 26. input is welcome... thanks!
Personal preference is what makes for good forum discussions and chatter at the range, but like a million threads have suggested on this and other forums, the best way to decide what is good for you is to shoot as many candidate guns as you possibly can. A gun range that also has guns to rent and also a retail counter is usually all for letting you try out the rental guns they maintain that they also sell, mine will do it at no cost unless you want to shoot more than 6 or so rounds.

Also, when at a range I am always being asked what I am shooting and why I chose that pistol, and swapping pistols back and forth is very common.

I love the CZ line of autoloaders, but I hope you choose one you like instead of what I like based on criteria like how it fit your hand, how accurately you were, how much recoil it produced, and of course how concealable it will be. Last bit of advice is, until full summer heat is here and we prefer t-shirts and shorts, even a sizable pistol is very concealable with the right attire, gunbelt and holster.
Old April 3, 2011, 07:07 PM   #22
Kermit

I have not been a fan of sub compact guns. Short grips usually means a modified grip with a dangling pinky, short sight radius means compromised accuracy and thick double stack designs mean they are bulky to carry. That said, of all the sub compacts I've shot, the flock 26 would be my first choice. Easy to find used ones at a good deal, lots of accessories and they are relatively easy to shoot well. Good luck
Old April 3, 2011, 07:34 PM   #23
chasep255

Well I would always go for the Glock. Also I think the 26 is a sub-compact. If you just want a normal compact I would go for the Glock 19.
Old April 4, 2011, 10:43 AM   #24
peacefulgary

Glock 26