The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 24, 2002, 07:52 PM   #1
PALongbow

Primer Tool???

I decided to purchase the RCBS Rockchucker reloading kit and my question is should I use the auto primer feed that comes with the kit or buy the RCBS hand primer tool. Which works the best for priming???
Old January 24, 2002, 07:55 PM   #2
jjmorgan64

Buy the Priming Tool

you'll never regret it

JM
Old January 24, 2002, 08:33 PM   #3
Swamp Yankee

Another vote for the hand primer.
I use the Lee and the only issue I have with it is it uses its own shell holders vs. the RCBS that uses standard shell holders.
Take Care
Old January 25, 2002, 12:56 AM   #4
Nanaimo Barr

3rd vote for the hand primer...

got both, go with the RCBS.. the price difference is ballanced out by the having to buy the custom case holders for the Lee..
Old January 25, 2002, 07:24 AM   #5
Khornet

Priming tool

My Rockchucker is a great press, but the built-in priming tool is lousy. I consistently have difficulty seating primers fully and it's hard to get a good feel for how they're seating. The Lee tool is great, a real bargain even if you do need special shellholders. A full set of these for any conceivable need can be had from Midway for $11.99.

The Lee Ram Prime is also good. I gave mine away to a new shooter when I upgraded to the RCBS press but I wish I hadn't. It is slower than the Auto Prime though.

You can also spend about $100 for a Sinclair unit, for match accuracy.........but I've been able to get sub-MOA from my 03A3 Springfield without it.
Old January 25, 2002, 09:51 AM   #6
MADISON

Primer Tool

Primer Tool recommendation:
RCBS Auto Priming Tool
Bench Mounted [$65]
Part #09460
Old January 25, 2002, 11:37 AM   #7
Bogie

My choices for priming tools...

Sinclair - VERY precise, very expensive, great feel (uses Lee primer shellholders) single feeder

K&M - built like a tank, will last a lifetime, nice feel (ditto) single feeder

Lee hand held autoprime - Built less tank-like, and you have to occasionally dab a little lube on the innards' wear points, but it is fast to use, with a pretty nice feel (doh...) tray holds maybe 200 primers - altho the manuals sez that you'll put your eye out...

FWIW, I commonly see the above at benchrest matches. We're picky about the way the priming tools "feel" when you seat 'em...

I've heard a few good things about the Hornady primers.

I think I've seen ONE RCBS primer tool at a match... They aren't common.

If I'm loading handgun, or "blasting" ammo, I use my Lees... If I'm loading for accuracy, I use my K&M or my antique that is set up for my 6BR with the .308 head and the small primer pocket (that tool is similar to the Sinclair).

My recommendations: Get a Lee, and take care of it, and when it wears out after a few cases of primers, replace the innards for $3, and don't worry about it.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 25, 2002, 04:41 PM   #8
Timothy

Another vote for the RCBS hand primer! You get the "feel" of what your doing and can be real consistant. You develop a rhythm and can prime a hundred in a heartbeat.
Old January 26, 2002, 12:14 AM   #9
Jerry Stordahl

Bogie: Of the two upper echelon ones.....Sinclair or K&M.....which deserves my dollars? I've been eyeing the Sinclair for awhile. Its one of those tools that would be nice, but I can get along with the old pot metal RCBS hand primer tool for awhile yet. Sooner or later I'll have to do it though, so I wonder.....Sinclair or K&M?
Old January 30, 2002, 01:57 PM   #10
Bogie

They both do a good job. I'm thinking of buying Ken's priming tool gauge, and since that'll only fit on his priming tool, well... I'm sorta stuck there...

If you're going to rely solely on feel, and want a work of art, I'd get the Sinclair. Heck, I'll probably buy one eventually, but I wanna play some with the Markle gauge...

Old January 30, 2002, 03:30 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

I'm not sure what the count is up to by now, but I vote that you purchase the hand priming tool.

The priming thingie that comes with the Rockchucker shouldn't have been included with it. At least don't call it a tool and name it what it really is - primer mangler, or primer frustrator, or priming-tool-to-be-used-in-dire-emergencies-only.
Old January 31, 2002, 11:45 AM   #12
Bogie

Just to add a final $0.02, the Lee tool will work just fine, and is one of the fastest of the bunch... I rank 'em Sinclair, Markle, Lee, and the Lee is the only one that holds a bunch of primers - the Sinclair and Markle require you to feed 'em one at a time...

Old February 15, 2002, 06:54 PM   #13
DaHaMac

Get the Hand Primer.

I sit here in a fine fit, ready to pitch a fit. Why am I so frustrated? I tried to use the primer thing on the Rockchucker :barf:

God, why did I use Parcel Post instead of UPS when I ordered my last batch from Midway, and that batch included my RCBS hand-primer

Was going to load some ammo for a range trip tomorrow, but I'd rather not have the ammo than try to prime without the hand-primer.

Just a heads up for NEone else that might think about skipping the hand-primer in lieu of the tool on the Rockchucker.
Old February 16, 2002, 01:40 AM   #14
coonan357

Rcbs handprimer vote here also , I bought a lee ram prime for the press when you get carpel tunnel ($20)works great !
as for the factory lever Remove and pitch ,and pull out the pin in the press.

You can't argue with a .357 Mag.
Well, you can try, but you'll end up bleeding an aweful lot. -GEORGE HILL 4-08-2002

My Coonan is Not For Sale please do not ask!
Old February 16, 2002, 10:24 AM   #15
PALongbow

I purchased the RCBS hand primer tool and it works great. Seats the primer just right and a breeze to use. Makes fast work of priming. Appreciate your help on this guys.

Ron
Old February 17, 2002, 10:27 AM   #16
zanthope

After some thousands of rounds primed in both the Lee AutoPrime and RCBS hand primer, I offer the following observations:

The Lee Autoprimer requires that you use a balanced thumb-and-four-finger sort of grip that is not a lot unlike holding and operating a rifle with a standard stock. I think repeated use of this tool strengthens the hand in a useful way....especially the thumb, which provides most of the force.

The RCBS tool requires an awkward semi-lateral grip-and-twist sort of action that for me at least, is uncomfortable. The four fingers provide the power, but in an un-natural sort of motion that I find irritates the little bit of carpal tunnel syndrome that I have, and almost paralyzes my hand for awhile.

Maybe not a big deal...until you sit and prime a few hundred cases.

Last edited by zanthope; February 17, 2002 at 11:08 PM.
Old February 17, 2002, 10:22 PM   #17
WESHOOT2

TESTED

I use the RCBS tools for certain special lower-volume runs. I use them for their superior seating consistency; I find seating primers using one of my RCBS hand-priming tools enhances accuracy with specific loads.

All my LEE tools broke.
Old February 19, 2002, 08:39 AM   #18
MADISON

Primer Tool

I've used the RCBS "Auto Priming Tool" [Bench Mounted] Part # 09460, because I coould not get the primer feed on my Lyman Spart-T to work in 1971. It can be hand for around $60.