The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2016, 02:03 PM   #1
Viper99

What is the best deal between these 2. Need to choose by this afternoon. Help Please

One is a Makarov made in Russia in 9mm. Only 1 mag but 3 different grips including the original one. Priced at $375 and can probably get it for $350 OTD.

The other is a CZ52 with a total of 5 magazines, a 9mm barrel and holster. The guy at the FFL said that you can actually use the same mags with the 9mm barrel. Is this true? $450 is the asking price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cz522.jpg (88.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg Russian2.jpg (65.2 KB, 174 views)
Old February 25, 2016, 02:05 PM   #2
doofus47

given, the choice, I'd get the Mak, simply b/c you can find more available ammo at a cheaper cost.

For the Buck Rogers aspect: cz52.

Why by today?
Old February 25, 2016, 02:09 PM   #3
Viper99

They are at my local FFL and since they know me, they put them aside for the afternoon to give me time to do some research. Not familiar with the Russian Makarov at all. It has a nasty DA trigger and somewhat passable SA. Is this a desirable gun?

Regards
Old February 25, 2016, 02:18 PM   #4
Viper99

BY the way, the CZ52 comes with a 9mm barrel also.
Old February 25, 2016, 02:22 PM   #5
Caz83

If I'm not mistaken, Makarov will use 9mm makorov ammo and the CZ 52 will use 9X19 parabellum ammo. The Makarov ammo is cheaper but not necessarily easy to find on the shelf. The 2 types of ammo has to be used for the pistol it is specified for. If it was up to me, would pick the CZ. Ammo a plenty, and CZ's have a great reputation for their solid craftsmanship.

*update* Didn't see the recent post. I would definitely go with the CZ if it comes with both Mak and 9mm para barrels
Old February 25, 2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Viper99

Just called my FFL. The CZ has the normal 7.62 x 25mm and an additional 9mm Luger barrel The Russian is 9x18 Makarov.
Old February 25, 2016, 02:38 PM   #7
rpseraph

Personally I would go for the CZ. I love the look of the CZ, the ability to fire 9mm luger, and all the extas.
Old February 25, 2016, 02:43 PM   #8
springer99

Something about that Makarov that doesn't look right to me. I'd go with the CZ52
Old February 25, 2016, 02:52 PM   #9
Viper99

The Russian Makarov has "according to my ffl" Israeli grips on. If you look under the picture, you will see the original brown grips with star along with another black one and they are both included with the gun.
Old February 25, 2016, 02:53 PM   #10
Viper99

By the way, are these good prices on these guns?
Old February 25, 2016, 03:32 PM   #11
pacerdude

Between the extra magazines and 9mm barrel, I would pick up the CZ.

Good luck!
Old February 25, 2016, 03:53 PM   #12
Doyle

The ergonomics on the CZ52 are absolutely horrible. They are very unpleasant to shoot. The Mak, however, is an absolute pleasure to shoot.
Old February 25, 2016, 04:01 PM   #13
lee n. field

of those two, I'd get the Mak.

That said, the grip looks odd. Is that perhaps a double stack version? If so, the magazines are rare and funky. But they're supposed to also use the standard 8 round mags.

And that's "9mm Makarov", not 9mm Parabellum. Just so you don't get disappointed.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 25, 2016, 04:27 PM   #14
Minorcan

Between those I would get the CZ but for about another $100 you can get a new CZ 75B. Just a thought.
Old February 25, 2016, 04:45 PM   #15
P71pilot

I would pick the makarov if if seems functional. I have had a cz52 and they aren't all that strongly made, things wear out easily on them. The makarov should be made stronger and is probably more accurate due to the fixes barrel, also more concealable, and ammo for the makarov is probably more available. I wouldn't trust a gun with a caliber conversion barrel if you are ever going to really carry it. The cz single action trigger is rrreally heavy as well
Old February 25, 2016, 04:52 PM   #16
SpareMag

I dont have a Mak, but I do have the CZ52 in Tok -7.62x25.

IMHO, and that is all it is based on playing with Maks at gun shows, I think the CZ52 is a better built firearm with a distinctive roller blocjpk recoil system. It is also a durn neat looking pistol. The original barrel in mine was corroded out, thanks probably to ComBloc ammo, but a replacement barrel was easily obtained.

I guess it all depends how you like your ComBloc weapons. Either one goes bang.
Old February 25, 2016, 05:18 PM   #17
P71pilot

Cz52 has fragile firing pin and rollers wear out of shape. Sights are terrible and POI may be wwwway off POA as was for me. Trigger is probably 15lbs. Although I do like the grip and specially with a grip sleeve. Mine never malfunctioned with any 7.62x25mm ammo. But wasn't very accurate, although I did love the gun.
Old February 25, 2016, 05:21 PM   #18
gyvel

CZ 52 rollers crack, the firing pins break, and, if they're not tuned correctly, you can have an AD when you use the hammer drop. Supposedly, Century recalled the CZs and replace some parts to prevent the ADs, but they still do occur even with the new parts. Look on the left rear of the trigger guard and see if the letter 'Z" is present; If so, it has been back to Century.

Of the two, I would take the Makarov. Less problems, more reliability.
SIFE
Old February 25, 2016, 05:54 PM   #19
dgludwig

QUOTE: "Between those I would get the CZ but for about another $100 you can get a new CZ 75B. Just a thought."

A thought that I think merits some more thought.
Old February 25, 2016, 06:19 PM   #20
lee n. field

Another quick note on the pictured Makarov. The image is reversed. The slide release is on the left side of the gun.

And, there is what appears a control of some sort visible at the top of the grip. I have no idea what that would be. It's quite non-standard.

The sight is adjustable, which indicates it's a gun made for commercial sale (US import points) not a milsurp. Some folks have said they're fragile.

The grip is like nothing I've ever seen before for the Makarov. (And I've had 4 go through my hands at various times over the years.)
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old February 25, 2016, 06:26 PM   #21
WVsig

At those prices I would pass on both.
Old February 25, 2016, 06:31 PM   #22
Viper99

This particular Makarov has the magazine release lever right above the grips. Could not find this combination on any of the ones in gunbroker. My ffl say that this combination is rare.
Old February 25, 2016, 06:58 PM   #23
Dashunde

I'm in the pass-on-both camp. Too much $$, too weird, pricey ammo.

There are just too many better, similarly sized, reliable, soft-shooting, regular ol 9mm's to be messing with either of those two.
Old February 25, 2016, 07:02 PM   #24
EIGHTYDUECE

The Makarov is a Russian Commercial and the photo is mirrored. You are seeing the left side of the gun. It is an early Baikal, you can tell because the slide stop is a milspec version (good thing). The slide release is where it should be and nothing rare. The grips are wrong for the gun, they don't look like they belong on a Makarov at all. The price is good. Russian Commercial Maks go from $350 to $400. I would choose the Makarov over the CZ52. Is it a high capacity Makarov? If it is a high capacity model, I would pass unless you are simply buying it to collect.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old February 25, 2016, 07:08 PM   #25
EIGHTYDUECE

The control some of you are seeing at the slot in the grips is not a control, you are seeing the cutout in the frame under the grips. This is why I think the grips are not made for a Mak, they are probably bubba'd on.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH