The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 22, 2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Bosshoff

AK-47 (Saiga) help with pins on front sight

Not an AK-47, a Saiga 7.62 x 39. I have one of these with a canted front sight post. The front sight is pinned with two pins. I do not know if these are tapered or straight pins, thus I do not know how to remove the front sight. Do I need to pound these away from the bolt handle, or pound them torwards the bolt handle? Anybody done this on a Saiga, and can anyone share their experience/method of doing so? Thanks.

Last edited by Bosshoff; June 22, 2009 at 03:13 PM.
Old June 22, 2009, 08:05 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

AK sight pins are not tapered.
However, the "standard" on pins is out to the right, in toward the left.

That is, you'd drive the pins toward the bolt handle.

To straighten the front sight support:

Get the barrel in a well-braced, no bounce-no move setup with hard wood blocks to support it.
If the barrel moves or bounces when struck, the pins won't move and may distort, locking them in tighter.

Get a punch and cut it off to about a 1/2" to 5/8" working length. This is known as a "Starter punch". The short length prevents the punch from flexing or bending. This directs all the force to the pins.
Once the pins are moving out, switch to a standard length punch.

Drive the pins out, from left to right (as you'd sight down the barrel.

Reposition the barrel with blocks to allow the sight support to clear, then use a LARGE brass drift and hammer to move the sight support in the needed direction.
Don't hit the support near the top or in a thin spot, this may bend or distort the support.
Once you'd got the sight support straight, re-cut the grooves in the barrel by one of two methods.
1. Use a drill to re-drill the holes. Be CAREFUL, if the drill drifts you can ruin the sight support or even the barrel.

2. Use a round needle file or a small diameter chain saw file to FILE new grooves in the barrel.
This allows cutting new pin grooves with less risk, "IF" you're good with a file.
Remember, the idea is to cut new grooves in the barrel NOT to enlarge the holes in the sight support.

If the old pins are still tight, use them, or make new pins from drill rod, or even the shanks of cheap drill bits.

Last edited by Dfariswheel; June 22, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old June 24, 2009, 07:24 AM   #3
Bosshoff

I got the pins out, but was unable to break the front sight loose. I soaked the FSB in Kroil and PB Blaster overnight. I then used a mallet, a hammer, vice grips, a clutch puller (which could not get a good grip/grab) and then I gave up.
I got an email from RAAC that the rifle is still under warranty, even though I converted it and it was purchased in 2006. They are going to forward me a shipping label, and I willl give them a whack at it.
Old June 24, 2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Bosshoff

Bummer

Got an email this morning, and the rifle is NOT under warranty and there will be a $100.00 fee to correct the issue. I will not be going this route, and will attempt to fix the issue myself.
I am looking at modifying a smaller clutch puller than I originally used with a bench grinder to get a more solid "purchase" on the front sight base. Wish me luck, and offer advice if you have any.
Old June 24, 2009, 03:29 PM   #5
john323

Try a little heat first.

Southern California
Anything legal, Rifles, Handguns, Shotguns, Black powder
Old June 25, 2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Bosshoff

The clutch puller did not work. I did not resort to heating the unit, but was prepared to do so. I ended up placing the trunion in a very solid vice, and using a 24" pipe wrench to twist the sight over. It was not easy, as the sight wanted to jump vs. slide slowly over. I did not mar anything up too bad. I think I am going to give it a coat of Krylon Barbeque paint. Thanks.