The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 19, 2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Slugo

thinking about trading my three Brownings in on a...

new Blaser F3 Super Sport. It's what is now called a dynamic target gun, fully adjustable to use for sporting, skeet and trap. You can change the balance of the gun and also adjust the rib to any height to meet your needs, no matter what the game.

I got a call from a local PA dealer offering me $4000 for my three Brownings with cases, original boxes and all accessories, and $3800 in cash for the Blaser. Two of the Brownings have been with me since the mid 90's and the skeet gun I just acquired a few weeks ago. Don't know if I can do it. I shoot all three extremely well, but a one gun does it all would have some distinct advantages.

I'm going to have to think on this real hard. No turning back if I do the deal...

1996 Lightning Sporting Clays high-rib...

1992 B325 Sporting flat-rib...

1985 Citori Special Skeet high-rib...

They're all in near mint condition. I've taken good care of them. What would any of you do?!?

Oh yes, here's the fully adjustable Blaser F3 Super Sport!!

http://www.blaser-usa.com/F3-SuperSport.1098.0.html
Old June 19, 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
hopper810

If the other guns aren't family heirlooms or from your spouse or kids,even if they were I'd think hard on itI would trade um,but that's just me.
Old June 19, 2011, 08:21 AM   #3
Slugo

Jerry, I absolutely agree with you! My son is a golfer and has no interest in firearms or shooting. My daughter is a runner. Parting with the Brownings could prove difficult, especially if the new gun doesn't live up to my expectations...
Old June 19, 2011, 08:36 AM   #4
hopper810

If you pretty sure the Blaser is the one,go for it.To me the guns are just tools to use for a hobby we enjoy beyond words.

If you don't do it,if your like me me you'll beat yourself up with the "what ifs"

Remember tomorrow isn't promised to us,so tell the family you love them and get what you want when you can.

Break um all
Old June 19, 2011, 02:24 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've gotten to shoot a few Blasers. Great guns, the best triggers I've run across ever on shotguns. I doubt I could ever wear one out, though I'd love to try.

It is up to you.

Of course, if you do get it, we'd like a T&E
Old June 19, 2011, 06:11 PM   #6
SKostas

...and that dealer's address and phone number would be?
Old June 19, 2011, 06:23 PM   #7
nogo

Keep your Brownings.
Old June 19, 2011, 06:32 PM   #8
oneounceload

He wants $7800 for the Blaser?

I'm seeing a lot on auction sites at less than $6300
Old June 19, 2011, 07:55 PM   #9
Slugo

Not an F3 SuperSport for less than $6200. Point me to one and I'll buy all they have. Maybe an ocassional standard F3 for $6200...
Old June 19, 2011, 08:18 PM   #10
oneounceload

The standard is all over the net for 6200 - if you have 8 K, you are close enough to getting a P-gun exactly how you want it built - balance point, weight, barrel weight, barrel balance, ribs, grip, LOP, drop, cast, etc.

Have you shot the Blaser? A good gun, but like many others, it either has a tendency to fit or not - like Beretta vs. Browning
Old June 19, 2011, 08:52 PM   #11
Slugo

Yes, I had the pleasure of shooting a standard F3 and it was fantastic! Much better than the K80 Pro Sport. The K-gun feels like a log compared to the Blaser and doesn't have the number of adjustments either.

I also like the CG Summit Impact....
Old June 19, 2011, 08:53 PM   #12
pabuckslayer08

Wait so he wants 3800 dollars plus your 3 guns or he wants your 3 guns and he gives you 3800 and the blaser. I kinda messed up following that, if its the latter of the options I said then heck yea but if its the first id pass. Your B325 would be tuff for me to give up
Old June 19, 2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Slugo

My three guns plus $3800. the F3 SuperSport retails for over $8K the way I want it configured. Yes, the B325 is a fantastic gun. Bought it new back in 93...
Old June 19, 2011, 09:27 PM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I could never part with those... I would have to add the Blaser or just wish while I shoot the 3 I already got.

The fondling and caressing the 3 nice guns would be about 2.6 times more pleasing to me than fondling one gun a little nicer...

Brent
Old June 19, 2011, 10:06 PM   #15
oneounceload

K-guns are, (according to my gun writer friend), pigs on a shovel. While well-built (and arguably the BEST trigger anywhere), they are built for the slower US clay target games, not the faster International ones. (Seems ironic that the German National Olympic team shoots Perazzis and not Kreighoffs, eh?). For the price, you get a CNC-machined gun that can have everything easily interchangeable - nice feature - but you also don't get anything custom to your dimensions and needs - whereas the P-gun can be totally customized for the same or less
Old June 20, 2011, 06:15 AM   #16
krimmie

I would ask myself what the minimum amount of $ I would take for each gun if selling separately...add those three amounts, add the $3800, and see where you're at. I never feel very comfortable with trade ins.
Old June 20, 2011, 08:59 AM   #17
Slugo

Point well taken. This whole deal just sort of evolved. I now have to step back and take an objective look. That's why I posted here, to get some realistic assessments and recommendations.

Much appreciated to all of you...
Old June 20, 2011, 09:53 AM   #18
jaguarxk120

Anyway you look at te deal the dealer is comming out on top. He's looking to make money from both ends, selling you a new gun and selling your tradein Browings.

Keep the Brownings.
Old June 20, 2011, 10:17 AM   #19
DBLAction454

I have no real knowledge of these types of shotguns so I feel my opinion may be a little un-weighted. That's why I'm not going to say anything about the value of the guns etc etc...

So....

We all know what its like to have the one gun that you want REALLY bad.

But the way I see it this dealer is going to get your three beautiful guns, for $200.... He's going to take your 3 for $4,000 and have you pay him $3,800.

So all it really cost him was $200 and your new dream gun at THE COST OF THE DEALER which who knows is how cheap for him.

Seems to me he comes out WAY on top.

Just my .02 cents.

Also I have to agree with Hogdogs. Fondling 3 beautiful guns like the 3 you have is much more appealing than 1.
Old June 20, 2011, 10:28 AM   #20
oneounceload

Having one serious gun that fits is worth a safe full that don't.

As to the dealer cost on these, typically 3-10%

Now, if those were Belgian Brownings, even a newer B25, different animals.

Slugo, I would think you could get ~$2K each for the Brownings in the condition they seem to be - might net you a few more bucks in the pocket, but would take longer to dispose of them

Another gun you might consider is the Zoli - it also has an adjustable balancing system
Old June 20, 2011, 10:58 AM   #21
Slugo

1ozLoad, I'm really having second thoughts about the whole deal. I fancy myself a collector and at the same time considering selling off some of my most prized possessions, my Brownings. I shoot the Lightning Sporting extremely well due to its fit and high post rib. The B325 was my first premium shotgun and we have many fond memories together. The Skeet gun is insane as to it's quickness and breaking ability, even with me at the controls!!

So, here's what I'm thinking. I was offered a new (demo) CG Summit Impact from a vendor who was at our PA State Trap meet last week. I can get it for less than $4K and let's face it, CG's are great guns!! It does everything the F3 does and allot more than the K-80 Pro Sporter. If I don't like it, I can flip it for the same amount of money. In the end, my collection of Brownings stays with me!

How's that sound?!?
Old June 20, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
Slugo

here's the CG Summit Impact...

Old June 20, 2011, 11:16 AM   #23
oneounceload

Quote:
I shoot the Lightning Sporting extremely well due to its fit and high post rib
^^^^^^ KEY words right there.

List on the Summit is less than 5K - it would depend on how it was "demo"ed to me

Here's a used one for $4
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Cae...n_id=100170197

Friend has one - (he sold me his A400 and bought his Summit Impact) Nice gun, GREAT customer service, including several free "pit stops" ( a touch they borrowed from Kreighoff); overall a nice B. Rizzini-style gun that has a growing follower)

Not sure where their resale values are holding

I am sure you have one or more clubs in your area - try to borrow the different brands to find "the fit" - you'll know it when you find it

Good luck! I wish I could do a quest like that right now
Old June 20, 2011, 11:24 AM   #24
Slugo

thanks! I don't think CG's hold their value as well as the B-guns, but they are a grade up depending on models. I have allot of SC clubs around here in central PA and you see mostly better Browning and Berettas. But, CG's are on the increase and their US service is heads and shoulders above the B-boys! Plus, like you said, two free pit stops!!

In the long run, I'm wondering if these new adjustable hybrid target guns will prove to be only a passing fad...
Old June 20, 2011, 01:46 PM   #25
oneounceload

Quote:
In the long run, I'm wondering if these new adjustable hybrid target guns will prove to be only a passing fad...
I imagine the SxS boys way back when said the same thing about pump and O/u, who said the same thing about the semi auto, who said the same thing about the SxS and O/U....(and the circle of life goes round forever!)